Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Address to register on Zairyuu Card 2020/12/16 23:54
I arrived in Japan earlier this month and am currently quarantining in a hotel for 14 days. I've run into the classic problem that most new foreigners in Japan run into: being unable to obtain a phone because I don't have a bank account, can't open a bank account with a phone number or address, don't have an address to register.

I've read a lot of conflicting information about this problem. Some people say it's possible to register Airbnb's and did it with no issue. Others say it's not allowed. What is the truth?

I plan on staying in an Airbnb after my quarantine ends but the host said I can't register the Airbnb address....so I'm kind of stuck and need help. Any advice?
by Visitor (guest)  

Re: Need an address to register on Zairyuu Card 2020/12/17 21:27
you don't need to register your address until you fix it.
the 14 days count starts from the date you fix the address. (i.e. you are requested to report your address soon (withing 14 days) after you fix the residing place.)
no one requests you that you must fix the residing place within 14 days.

why no one help you ?
don't you have a sponsor or a guarantor ?
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Need an address to register on Zairyuu Card 2021/1/8 21:20
Are you a tourist? Im guessing you are. Because you dont have zairyuu card.

You need a residence for bank acct true.
Airbnb is technically hotel, youre renting without registered residency.

Many people come to japan thinking moving here is just physical and easy like couch surf and worry about immigration later. Get valid visa then you can get bank and other stuff.
by とろ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Need an address to register on Zairyuu Card 2021/1/8 21:25
If you came as tourist and you have to be quarantined at airbnb,

You can do without phone. Use a skype number to make phone calls if you need to.

Shouldnt be outside anyway so dont worry about transportation.
by とろ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Address to register on Zairyuu Card 2021/1/9 05:53
Some people say it's possible to register Airbnb's and did it with no issue. Others say it's not allowed. What is the truth?

My understanding is that the country (i.e. national government) accepts Airbnb addresses as residential addresses, but municipalities (i.e. city wards, cities, towns and villages) don't. Or possibly it even differs between municipalities. Zairyu cards are issued by the national government, but address changes are submitted through the municipalities. The policy of municipalities (or even individual staff members at the municipal halls) may differ because of the funny situation outlined above. I think that is why in some case it works for some and it doesn't for others.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Address to register on Zairyuu Card 2021/1/9 10:31
generally speaking, you can't register hotel, hospital, etc as the address, because their staying is temporary.
if not temporary, I believe you can register it to your address.
so, if you have an agreement of a long term stay to Airbnb owner, you may do it. when you leave, you have to erase the registration.
persons, who want to register Airbnb rooms, probably don't take necessary paperwork for cleaning up the registration. then, city hall may complain to the owner and may refuse a new registration, because the room is already occupied by some other persons. no one is happy.

so, as a final solution, the owner will refuse all of the registrations with no exception.

similar situation may occur in the registration of car parking lot.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread