Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Spouse visa. Financial questions 2020/12/24 10:13
Hello and thank you. My situation summed up. Ifm a disabled veteran I receive 2k a month for life from VA. I have an MBA Ifm a bartender. I had a kid. Then met my wife (from/born) Japan had a BA in English from Kagoshima. We married in California then married (and registered family tree thing) in Japan. Moved to California over last 5 years had 2 kids together registered the births in both countries. Her parents are getting older (both about to retire) and we thinking in a few years to move to Japan permanently to be with them as they age. I have read many sites about spouse visa and gfinancially responsibleh is vague. #1 question.... will immigration accept my VA disability as income? We both plan to work but her parents wonft be working to vouch for us. #2 question.... will immigration accept bank savings as gfinancially responsibleh? And if so any ball park on the amount needed? We plan on saving a few hundred K before going and the moment we arrive buying a house and then plan to work for addictions income. Any possible immigration hurdles I should be aware of? Thank you for your time.
by Jacob82nd  

Re: Spouse visa. Financial questions 2020/12/24 13:42
As far as I know, what the immigration authorities look for is glong-term financial stabilityh (or prospects of it). And as far as gspouse of Japaneseh visa goes, what is in question is firstly the Japanese spousefs ability to support the both of you, as she will be the gsponsorh for you.

I donft know what career your wife has had, but as she is moving back to Japan there will be no income tax statement from recent years that she has available for Japan, I assume. Instead, they do ask for copy of bank statement showing the balance/savings.

If I were in your shoes, I would get your wife to write out a letter stating that she plans to look for work as soon as the family has moved back to Japan (write out a good career experience if possible, to show prospects for a good job in Japan), income of which will be supplemented by your benefits. Also state that you will be looking for work in Japan. Savings by itself does not serve to show gstability,h but it shows that you will be OK supporting yourselves for a while. (I am not aware of the amount required – the only guideline Ifve heard is 2 - 3 million yen for those applying for gstudenth visa, for their living expenses and tuition.)

If they ask for additional financial guarantor, still if her parents are about to retire/have retired recently, there might be income tax payment statement from recent years that they can show – then they might be OK as a guarantor. Also having a house would show your intention to settle in Japan, so that should work as a plus too.

(Ifm Japanese, my spouse is non-Japanese, who used to be on gspouseh resident status before he got his permanent resident status several years ago.
We moved back to Japan from overseas some years ago, my spouse was on an employer-sponsored visa for a while, then when he was made redundant we changed it to gspouseh status, when he was out of work and I was a freelancer with limited work. We wrote out a letter describing the situation. But back then things were a bit different – they never asked for bank statement or my tax statement.)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse visa. Financial questions 2020/12/24 15:36
Thank you for your information and experience. Some of it was very helpful!! !! My concern about other visa types is that I have my oldest daughter who is not a Japanese citizen and will need to be on my visa..... Ifm sure if I split my family in half and my wife went to Japan for like half a year and started working it would help prove stability but we would both basically be single parents working full time while our family ripped in half. My wife hasnft worked (taxable) at all in the last 5 year. She runs the house and family.
by Jacob82nd rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse visa. Financial questions 2020/12/24 22:39
A Japanese person should be able to bring her non-Japanese spouse under gspouse of Japaneseh and his child (from an earlier marriage/relationship) under what is called glong-term residenth visa, as far as I know. (The child needs to be under-age, single, and financially dependent on you in the States, in your case.)

It sounds like all of your children are quite young? Then your wife coming with the two small children first to look for work, with two small kids in her care, might be toughc you (or your wife) gmighth want to find an immigration lawyer in Japan, maybe they can give you better suggestions for how to go about things.

Another thing you gcouldh do is to look for work from outside Japan (such as English language teaching; I donft know what other professional skills/experience you have, and there is no work visa category for bartending), and tell the potential employer that you will be on a spouse visa (which means the employer doesnft have to sponsor you for a visa, though it might take a bit of time). You need to time things well, though, so that you donft keep the employer waiting too long till you can come to Japan and can start working.
For that, the timing is not ideal, though, considering the pandemicc employment situation here is not good at all, to put it mildly.
Alsoc I know that for gpermanent residenth application, there seems to be income thresholds that they apply according to the number of dependents; so considering that there are three children involved, the income requirement might get a bit stricter.
Best wishes.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread