Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Vacation in Japan, residency expired 2021/2/5 08:09
Hey everyone, hope somebody can help me with this question, couldn't find an answer anywhere.

I'm American and have made several visits to Japan in the past as a tourist, with the usual 90 day visa you get upon entry.

The last time I was in Japan was about 2 years ago as a resident with a 5 year visa. I had to leave Japan suddenly due to family issues back in America. I reported that I was moving out to the local ward office. But I anticipated being back within a year, so when I was going through customs at the airport, they ask if you will be returning within a year and I said yes. However, I ended up staying in America to be closer to my family and got a better job here. I did not return to Japan within a year, and haven't been back to Japan since.

Now I am looking at visiting Japan as a tourist for a few weeks with my husband, probably in November 2021 assuming things are back to normal by then with travel restrictions. Obviously my residency in Japan is no longer valid, but I am just wondering if I will have any issues getting the usual 90 day tourist visa upon entry, because of me not returning for my residency within a year when I declared that I would be.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Appreciate any knowledge you all can share on this, thanks!
by JapanTraveler01  

Re: Vacation in Japan, residency expired 2021/2/5 15:01
As far as I know, that should be no problem.

If you have the same passport, when they run it they would see that you were a resident, they might ask you if you are "returning" on that resident status, it has expired, then you can tell them you are aware of that, and what happened, and that you are coming in as a "temporary visitor" this time.
They might ask you for the old resident card, if they do you can return it there.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Vacation in Japan, residency expired 2021/2/5 17:48
Previous visa or resident status shouldnt effect you.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Vacation in Japan, residency expired 2021/2/6 05:43
Okay that makes me feel better, thank you!
by JapanTraveler01 rate this post as useful

Re: Vacation in Japan, residency expired 2021/2/6 06:44
You will be subject to the normal entry requirements as a temporary visitor (tourist). For many countries the visa waiver programme has been suspended, but not for the USA (last time I looked), but the requirements for entry currently change fairly regularly, and the requirements in November are unknown.
https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html#section4
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread