Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Senmon gakkou or look for job instead? 2021/3/9 13:12
Hi there, i've been searching for this for at least 2 weeks now and i didn't manage to find one similar to my situation. So i'm kinda lost, suggestions would really be appreciated.

So i have a bachelor degree (4 year) in computer science field in my home country. My goal is to find a job in japan, probably related to game dev or full stack job.

My plan is to first enroll in japanese language school for 2 years which i believe is the right move. The question is, if i look for a job straight after graduating from language school would my non-japanese bachelor degree suffice? Would i be having troubles? Would taking senmon gakkou be preferable? or is it overkill?

I'm 23 now and planning to go next year, so i would be around 26 when i graduate the language school.
by Gre (guest)  

Re: Senmon gakkou or look for job instead? 2021/3/9 15:19
Well both options should work. You have a degree, so if you find a job after finishing language school that is willing to sponsor your work visa, you can start working. If you donft or decide to continue studying, you could go to senmongakko or university and continue your education.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Senmon gakkou or look for job instead? 2021/3/9 16:09
@LikeBike hi, thank you for replying.

Will there be any difference in difficulty when searching for a job? One being only having a non-japanese bachelor degree and one being having a senmonshi on top of that? Like one being easier to get a sponsor?

I've heard people i talked to say non-japanese bachelor isn't really looked up upon and companies would choose one locally instead. But i've also heard people say it doesn't matter and pursuing study past bachelor is a bit useless there as they don't really have an impact.

Which path would you personally take?
by Gre (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Senmon gakkou or look for job instead? 2021/3/9 16:47
If you already have a strong foundation in CS then senmon gakkou is overkill. If you're experienced then you should be able to self-study your way to a decent number of full stack positions without too much difficulty. I mean, people get hired from doing FCC, etc. with NO degree. Not necessarily in Japan but, still... unless your programming skills are severely lacking I think going back to school for it is going to be a waste of time, money, and effort.

Focussing on language seems like it might be the better option in the long run, assuming your language skills are not currently up to the task. I do know someone who worked backend at a large (one of the largest actually) tech firm with not great Japanese, but if you wanted to get a foot in a career ladder you can actually climb, then having a good command of the language is definitely going to open a lot of doors for you. Low-level code monkeys can definitely get by with little or in some companies no Japanese, but it sounds to me like you're thinking more long-term.

And yes having a non-Japanese degree is perfectly fine for dev work. Depending on the institution you graduated from it may even make you somewhat desirable.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Senmon gakkou or look for job instead? 2021/3/10 00:16
@LIZ Hi, thank you for replying.

So i guess senmon teaches more or less the same thing as a 4 year bachelor course in CS?
If so, then that answered my question really well. And if what you said is true then i think i should have little to no problem except the language. Thank you.

Might be out of topic but what do you think about masters? I was interested in masters at the beginning but got discouraged by the sheer complexity of applying.
by Gre (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread