Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese moving out from Japan 2021/3/19 19:17
Hi!

Does anyone have a good checklist of what a native Japanese person needs to do when moving out from Japan to a different country for a year or more? Still being a Japanese citizen, just living in a different country.

Living with the parents, so luckily apartment contract and utility bills are under control.
But other things like bank account? Can keep the Japanese bank account even when living abroad?
City hall? Tax and pension?
by Tompis  

Re: Japanese moving out from Japan 2021/3/20 14:06
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese moving out from Japan 2021/3/20 15:11
Your Japanese friend (I assume) needs to consider a lot of things - if the stay outside Japan is temporary, they can keep themselves in the “Juminhyo” (resident record) with the parents, as if they were staying in Japan, but then they will be liable for pension contribution, national health insurance fee, and income tax based on the previous year’s income. If they submit a report of moving overseas, they would not have to pay all this, but they will be out of the Japanese social security schemes, so until they return to Japan and sign up again with these schemes, they would not eligible for the benefits either.

by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese moving out from Japan 2021/3/20 20:34
Thanks to both of you!
My Japanese level is still low, but with that google search I managed to find a good checklist (I think), and the one I'm helping has limited access to Internet due to a dropped phone. So I'm trying to help, but the English resources I've found so far have been a bit low on detail or mention different things.

I doubt it counts as a temporary stay if it's at least a year, but it might still be worth to consider keeping what can be kept. Is it legal or ok to do so, though? Not sure if it counts as "cheating the system".
by Tompis rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese moving out from Japan 2021/3/21 09:43
By Googling 住民票をそのままに海外に移住するのは合法か you can easily learn that it's legal to keep your juuminhyo in Japan while staying overseas for an year or so. But a blog does say that it's more beneficial to move your juuminhyo as well.

If your Japanese friend has a problem using smartphones, (s)he could always visit her local city hall to ask questions. Or she could phone the city hall from a pay phone.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese moving out from Japan 2021/3/21 20:37
Thanks again.
She just wants to be prepared when visiting or calling the city hall and the banks etc, so that it's easier to follow what they explain to avoid misunderstandings, and knowing what the options might be.
by Tompis rate this post as useful

reply to this thread