Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Income and residence tax for small aribaito 2021/3/20 18:48
Hi, doing a search on google and this forum left me more confused on my obligations, so I will try asking if that's ok

I am a spouse of Japanese national (he works full time), I am currently not working and will be living in Japan 2 years this coming April. I have not worked yet in Japan.

I may have succeeded in getting a small arubaito, just a few hours a week. I expect to only earn about 9000 a week, maybe less. I do not have any income from abroad.

I've read that my new employer should take care of my income tax filing, is that correct? Do I need to do anything? Even on such low income would I still be paying some income tax?

I've also read there is residence tax, would I get something in the the post from city hall to pay this? How does it work in basic terms, do you have to pay something even if you earned nothing in previous year? When do they normally issue payment requests and am I to suspect a bomb of a bill? I am yet to receive anything, should I have?

When it comes to renewing my resident status, would I need to provide documents to immigration even though my husband's salary is the one supporting my application? If so, what are they? Should my employer sort out everything so that I can get documents from city hall if I need them?

Thanks for your help

by Tora (guest)  

Re: Income and residence tax for small aribaito 2021/3/22 07:07
I've also read there is residence tax, would I get something in the the post from city hall to pay this? How does it work in basic terms, do you have to pay something even if you earned nothing in previous year? When do they normally issue payment requests and am I to suspect a bomb of a bill? I am yet to receive anything, should I have?
You have not received anything? That seems a little weird. Even with no income your local city hall should have sent you an account. It is possible that it is included in your husbands residence tax bill. Are you signed up with your local city hall, enrolled in the health insurance - stuff like that? Should be simple enough to go and ask one of the local officials.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Income and residence tax for small aribaito 2021/3/22 08:37
Thank you for your reply

Yes I am registered at my city hall and as I am a dependant spouse I am enrolled under my husband's pension and health insurance through his work which they have reported to pensions office etc.

Is it possible that residence tax is done at household level and it would go to my husband as he is head of household?
We have only been living as our own household for a year and a half, could this be the reason and we would get something in the new tax year?
by Tora (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Income and residence tax for small aribaito 2021/3/22 10:08
If the OP is registered with the husbandfs employer as a gdependenth with limited income, and covered by his employerfs social security systems (pension and health insurance), then it is taken care of by the husbandfs employer. No worries there.
And if the OPfs income is small, then no worries about paying income tax based off of that either. Actually if the garubaitoh pay is categorized as gsalary,h no need to pay income tax on it until the amount gets to be a million yen a year.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Income and residence tax for small aribaito 2021/3/22 11:23
JapanCustomTours is not inaccurate.
you don't need to worry about this, as mentioned by AK.

resident tax is a combination of income portion and per capita portion. if you don't have enough income, the latter portion will be charged to the head of the family. i.e. your husband pays the two per capita portion and his income portion.

since your current living style is traditional, they will not make any mistake for taxation and paperwork
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Income and residence tax for small aribaito 2021/3/22 13:22
Japancustomtours, AK, Ken
thank you all so much for your valuable support, your answers have helped me clear up any doubts i had about taxes.

do you (or anyone else on this forum) know about if i come to renew my residence status/apply for permanent residency, if i answer on the form about i am working an arubaito, are immigration going to ask me for documents or are they happy with just my husband's? if they do will i have access to anything from city hall even though my taxes are zero? or would they ask for something else?

thank you all so much

Re: Income and residence tax for small aribaito 2021/3/26 08:51
i got the arubaito!

anyone able to answer by last question? in first and previous post.
sorry for the bump its been 4 days so think this will be missed

Re: Income and residence tax for small aribaito 2021/3/26 09:54
(a) For renewing your resident status, it should be no problem, because if your spouse is earning sufficient to support the two of you, that will be sufficient for gspouse of Japanese national.h

(b) For applying for gpermanent residency,h I am not sure, but it should be fine if you continue your marriage in Japan together, and after some years you are considered to have established a firm basis for living in Japan. (Some traditional thoughts go that the husband can work fully because the housewife/homemaker is keeping up with the housework, so they consider your contribution behind your husbandfs work :) )

Personal experience: In our case, we once had to change my husbandfs status from employer-sponsored gworkh to gspouse of Japanese national,h when he was out of work and me working freelance (not stable), so I am confident about (a) above. For (b), more recently both of us have been working freelance (neither of us gfull time"), so we submitted tax papers for both of us for his PR application, and he got it OK. Best wishes.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread