Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese College Debt/Loans? 2021/4/3 12:18
I am a high school student in America who wants to go to college in Japan and live there for the rest of my life. I would like to go to a college/university where there are international programs where American students can learn Japanese as well as their major at the same school. Problem is, I don't have the money for 4 years or school lying around. While I do plan on getting scholarships, I'm sure I won't get all of them, and I'll have to pay something. Would I take a loan in America since I'm a citizen there and then change it to JPY and then pay?
by Lily (guest)  

Re: Japanese College Debt/Loans? 2021/4/4 07:07
wants to go to college in Japan and live there for the rest of my life
Living in Japan depends on meeting the requirements for a status of residence such as a student visa or one of the visas linked to a type of employment. You do not just get to live in another country because you want to. If you lose your SoR status if you are not on or able to get one of the permanent categories, you get kicked out. Not dissimilar to many other countries.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese College Debt/Loans? 2021/4/4 23:26
Have you asked the universities you have in mind? Or maybe you're still just dreaming about what you'll do years ahead.

Well, I don't know how American student loans work, but here in Japan there are various scholarships, and each one has a different policy. If you are extremely skilled and qualified, there would be possibilities for you to obtain a scholarship which you don't need to pay back.

Meanwhile, most scholarships in Japan are essentially student loans. They're quite easy to get, but you have to start paying back as soon as you graduate, meaning that you need a good enough job. Most students work part-time, while attending university, to support their future.

That said, the most challenging part can be being accepted by a university. Entrance exams are usually competitive.

The other thing is that due to the pandemic, universities in Japan aren't really working. A lot of them have not been accepting students on their premises for a whole year. Students have been taking classes on-line, and many who rented apartments have moved back to their far away cities without ever using their rooms.

So, it's hard to predict much at this point, but why not start by studying official websites of universities, student loans and scholarships, while also studying Japanese as well as your school subjects?
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese College Debt/Loans? 2021/4/5 15:28
Check out Monbusho scholarships. If selected, it will pay for school and give a monthly stipend.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread