Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Staying long term in Japan? 2021/4/18 09:04
Hello, this question has several aspects to it so i will try to elaborate as best as i can.
For some background
im 25 years old, im heavily tattooed, i have 2 full sleeves, my chest, ribs on one side and a piece on my upper back which has some of it reaching the back of my neck, though you cant see it when im using a dress shirt unless i tilt my head down heavily and i have a bachelor degree in advertising and marketing, also i already have a Japanese base N4

As for the question: Im planning on moving to japan this October to further my japanese for 2 years then i plan on either studying automotive mechanics or a masters degree related to my career, this i will do in tokyo most likely. The thing is i would like to stay in japan beyond this 4 year period that i would be studying.
As the tittle says, what are my chances of staying in japan long term, the biggest concern being my tattoos which i will keep hidden at all times when needed. I would like to get married if possible and have a part time job while studying how will my tattoos affect this, also should i go to auto school or further my career? which one will give me more job opportunities and longevity taking into account my background. I would appreciate total and brutal honesty since im also looking for other countries to move to.
by Borna (guest)  

Re: Staying long term in Japan? 2021/4/18 14:27
Too many things going on at once. Try to concerntrate on a single aspect and evolve towards the others.

So farcyou have tattoos in Japan, schooling, marriage, further studies, new studies plus new career.

On a personal note. If you are willing as you say to move to other countries, do that. Japan is already difficult to live long term. And the tattoos will cause minor issues off and on.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Staying long term in Japan? 2021/4/18 17:17
The tattoo thing is mostly not as big of a deal as a lot of people say it is. Many claim itfs a deal breaker. They are either lying or donft know what they are talking about. I have lived in Japan as a woman about as heavily tattooed as you; fully sleeved up, a chest piece, both thighs. I never had a problem at work, ever. A tattoo you can cover with normal clothes doesnft exist. As long as you can hide them you are okay. Now, going to the gym, onsen, pool, sometimes even the beach can be a problem, but living without these things is easy for most people. In normal day to day life outside of work, no worries, you donft need to cover up. I travel to Japan every summer and walk around in a strappy top half the time. Itfs not a big deal.

This relies on you actually getting good at Japanese, but in my opinion a bilingual marketing profession has more opportunities in Japan than a car mechanic would. The truth is that most Japanese people probably want another Japanese person to fix their car. Just the way things are. Meanwhile a marketing department/firm might actively value a foreignerfs skill set and perspective. To be clear, both jobs would be easier if you were Japanese, Ifm not saying that Japanese marketing firms are trying to hire lots of foreigners, but I do think it beats being a mechanic by a long way.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Staying long term in Japan? 2021/4/19 07:45
Doing two years language and then two years for a Masters programme sounds like a better option than doing automotive trade in terms of staying in Japan. Getting a status of residence is slanted more towards skilled occupations that require a degree, rather than trades. Trades are still valuable, but the immigration system treats them differently. You see this by simply looking at the categories at:
https://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/long/index.html
"skilled labour" does not include mechanics, plumbers, builders or electricians, but they are certainly necessary. A marketing degree at least allows a couple of other options.

As for tattoos, I see many many Japanese people with them from small to large/obvious, men and women. That is very much a secondary consideration.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Staying long term in Japan? 2021/4/19 17:33
Perhaps I need to visit some kind of a club? That sounds like it might be the ideal setting to meet people like this. How could I find out more about Japanese language or culture clubs in my area? Though I do think that these days the internet provides a good opportunity to meet people on a more one-on-one basis. I'm not opposed to using either route.
by DoraLee rate this post as useful

reply to this thread