Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Double Decker Train 2021/6/6 16:32
Do you have Double Decker Train
in japan?which company? Which Line?JR or non JR?
by Rina (guest)  

Re: Double Decker Train 2021/6/6 19:05
Yes, there are a few double decker trains, but not many.

JR operates some double decker wagons on some suburban lines in the Greater Tokyo area. The Marine Liner has double deckers. Some trains along the Joetsu Shinkansen are double deckers, but will be discontinued this autumn. Some non-JR companies also have double decker trains, such as Kintetsu.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Double Decker Train 2021/6/6 19:12
The Tohoku Shinkansen "Max" double-decker is due to end operation in autumn 2021.

Double decker trains are fun riding either on the top floor or the lower floor where you'd feel like you're sliding on the platform seeing everybody's feet!
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Double Decker Train 2021/6/6 19:18
One or two cars of the Shonan-Shinjuku Line used to be double deckers, but I don't know if they still have them.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Double Decker Train 2021/6/6 20:11
Here is a fairly recent web page that lists JR Tokyo lines with the double-decker green car, but I cannot say whether the information is still valid. If Ifm not mistaken (my Japanese is pretty bad), the lines it mentions are Tokaido, Yokosuka, Sobu Kaisoku, Utsunomiya, Shonan Shinjuku, and Joban.
https://taptrip.jp/15399/
There are a few pictures as well.

The green cars on these Tokyo area commuter lines are hardly a luxury experience, but compared to the regular cars, especially at rush hour, they are much more comfortable. I can never quite stomach the added fare to upgrade when it costs me money, but on occasions when I find myself in Tokyo with a day or two left on a nationwide JR green pass I love to use these trains. It is a great way to get to Kamakura, for example.

I love the upper deck on the Marine Liner (between Okayama and Takamatsu). Again, not really a luxury experience, but it feels so comfortable...

I believe the Keihan commuter trains in the Kyoto-Osaka area have a double decker. I like to use Keihan but have never ridden in the upgraded class cars.
by Uma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Double Decker Train 2021/6/6 22:55
Oh yes, I love spending my extra 1000 yen on a local train's double-decker green car seat! It may seem expensive when you think of it as a short train ride, but you can enjoy a quiet and comfy atmosphere without having to pay as much as a taxi fare and without having to tell directions to the driver.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Double Decker Train 2021/6/7 09:28
Many of the ones mentioned above I have ridden at some stage or another (I dimly remember seeing the announcement about the MaxToki going out of service - my ride in February will probably have been the last time).
One not mentioned that I rode a few years back was from Kintetsu Railways travelling Osaka to Toba.
https://www.kintetsu.co.jp/foreign/english/about/limited_express/type....
We had downstairs seating for a "Vista Car" and quite comfortable. Note, often it is only part of the train that has two levels, and there are some drawbacks, especially for those travelling with luggage. For example, the Marine Liner to Takamatsu is pretty spartan for space, and the regular commuter trains actually have more space.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Double Decker Train 2021/6/7 11:59
Chuo line is getting the saha green cars also next year or 2023.

Sobu-yokosuka line has the same saha green cars also.

by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Double Decker Train 2021/6/7 12:07
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/215_series

E215 series runs as a liner service in peak on the Chuo line.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Double Decker Train 2021/6/7 23:57
Keihan Railway has very nice double-decker cars on some of their trains between Osaka and Kyoto.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Double Decker Train 2021/6/10 16:17
Thanks For your kind information.
by Rina (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Double Decker Train 2021/6/18 02:45
E4 series train run by JR East known as double decker train run betweenTokyo and kanto region. In april 2010 some Train retired.in july 2013 some train withdrawal from its service.In niigata city niitsu Railway museum it display in 2017.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread