Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How much is rail pass bought in japan? 2021/7/4 17:28
I understand that buying online is relatively cheaper, and online prices are listed on this site (https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357.html)
7 days 29,650 yen

However, buying the pass online requires that I know when I am going to Japan relatively ahead of time to allow for shipping, and also makes last minute cancellations and changes difficult since they must be activated within a few months. Also where I live, mail frequently goes missing.

Therefore, I prefer to buy the JR Pass over the counter when I am already Japan.
However I am having difficulty finding out more about the price when bought within japan.
I have found varying numbers from competitor sites trying to sell the rail pass, which may not be the most reliable source of info (seeing as they are trying to get people to buy off them), one says buying inside japan costs 33,000 yen in 2018, another more recent one is closer to 40k yen. I mean if it is just a 2000-3000yen extra then that is far preferable to buying online for me, whereas if it is closer to 10,000yen extra then it would be better for me to buy the tickets individually since that is roughly the amount I expect to save with rail pass.

Thanks
by Jackson78  

Re: How much is rail pass bought in japan? 2021/7/5 05:17
This page accurately explains everything about the pass:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361.html

The cost of the pass if purchased inside Japan is 33,610 yen.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: How much is rail pass bought in japan? 2021/7/5 07:08
However, buying the pass online requires that I know when I am going to Japan relatively ahead of time to allow for shipping,
Well, as courier delivery (not mail) to most of the world is available in under 72 hours, chances are you will have purchased your flight tickets well before then. Shipping is hardly an issue.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: How much is rail pass bought in japan? 2021/7/5 09:06
So the cost difference is about 4000 yen, but in all likelihood you will have to pay about half that amount for secure delivery by courier if you buy it online and have the voucher sent to you, so if youfre not worried about spending an extra 2000 yen or so, it makes sense to wait until you are in Japan. With all the travel uncertainties these days, that is what I would do, especially for just a one-week pass. (The cost difference is greater for the more expensive passes.)

Another issue with the online purchasing is that apparently some (not many) of the vendors are unreliable. If you know which companies are completely reputable, then you donft have to worry about this, but even a trustworthy agency can make a mistake every once in a while. By the time you notify them and they issue you a replacement voucher, it could be another two or three days before you have it in hand. So donft cut things too close, if you do decide to get the pass online.
by Kim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How much is rail pass bought in japan? 2021/7/5 12:34
Thanks for the useful input.
If the price is indeed only 4000 yen more then it is far preferable for me to purchase it in japan.
4000 yen is a small price to pay for flexibility and not having to wait for and worry about shipping.
The thing is I have seen other websites quote different figures, is there an official source from a JNTO or JR website I could check?
I believe this is a reputable site but I do not know when that image was taken or last updated.

by Jackson78 rate this post as useful

Re: How much is rail pass bought in japan? 2021/7/5 14:00
Actually found my answer here for anyone else looking: https://japanrailpass.net/pdf/JR_PASS_release_EN.pdf

Sorry for the double post, can't seem to edit my posts
by Jackson78 rate this post as useful

Re: How much is rail pass bought in japan? 2021/7/5 19:47
Japanrailpass.net is an official site so presumably you can trust the information on it, although sometimes the various JR companies are a little slow in updating some of their pages. But you have to be careful what youfre looking at, especially when buying online. There are a lot of other sites that have various permutations of the components of the name Japan Rail Pass or JR pass or whatever, and I find it hard to tell them apart. Most are legitimate commercial sites selling the pass (and sometimes other products or services), but I have seen posts (on another forum) about some bad experiences buying passes online from at least one of these sites. Some of them do have a lot of good information about rail passes and rail travel in Japan, though. When I get my rail passes online I always use my countryfs branch of JTB or another large Japanese travel company I am familiar with. But anyway, it sounds to me like buying the pass in Japan makes sense for you. It would be a tougher call if you were buying multiple passes, or one of the more expensive passes such as the three-week pass. Then the price differential becomes much more significant.

Good luck with your trip planning. We still have a long and uncertain wait before we can go back to Japan as tourists again, but herefs hoping that things donft drag on any longer than necessary.
by Kim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How much is rail pass bought in japan? 2021/7/6 08:05
The sales of the Japan Rail Pass within Japan was started as a one year trial, and extended. The PDF linked says the current sales period stops in April next year, so you may not be able to buy inside Japan (probably it will get extended again).
When I order passes they usually arrive either from France or the USA within 2 1/2 days and the cost of delivery is 1,500 yen - via JapanExperience, FedEx courier to the door, signature required. Have never had a problem with them, and their customer service is good.
All official vendors base their prices on the single price in yen, but do have variations for exchange rates.
If 4,000 yen extra is not much to you, you should know there are discount tickets that lower the price of some of the most common trips, and while money might not be a factor, the JRP does chew up time as for something like Tokyo-Kyoto you get slower/less frequent services and still need to get the pass (and bookings).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: How much is rail pass bought in japan? 2021/7/6 10:14
you should think about the case that you change your plan and you need to cancel the pass (get a refund).
although the argument here is inexpensive, expensive, reliable, or unreliable, another thing is convenient or inconvenient for YOU at that time.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread