Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cycling around Fuji Five Lakes 2021/7/18 15:19
I'd like to spend about a week in the Fuji Five Lakes area in late February/early March of next year to avoid seeing a lot of tourists. But I've never gone during that time and have some questions.

- Is there reliable public transportation to go between the lakes?
I can't drive, so I would rely on the bus.

- If not, is there a reliable taxi service I could use to go between the lakes?
In the past I've used the JapanTaxi app, but never in this area.

- Is there a reliable bicycle rental around each lake?
Although I'm in good shape, I'm not a serious cyclist.
But I'd like to do this because I stop and start a lot to take photos.

- Is it really safe to cycle around the lakes?
I always assumed it was, but started reading reviews saying otherwise.
A lot of tourists complained it's scary to both cycle and walk around the lakes due to traffic.

- Is this timeline possible? Any way to make it better?
Day 1: Rent and cycle around Lake Yamanako, stay overnight there
Day 2: Bus or taxi to Lake Kawaguchi, rent and cycle around Lake Kawaguchi, stay overnight there
Day 3: Bus or taxi to Lake Sai, rent and cycle around Lake Sai, return to Lake Kawaguchi, stay overnight there
Day 4: Bus or taxi to Lake Motosu, rent and cycle around Lake Motosu and Lake Shoji, return to Lake Motosu and stay overnight there

- I'd like to explore Aokigahara too, but am unsure when I should do that/where the easiest access to it is.
by FFL (guest)  

Re: Cycling around Fuji Five Lakes 2021/7/18 20:39
Wefve only travelled to Kawaguchi-ko, so I cannot say anything about other lakes. We took the train to Lake Kawaguchi, then took the bus around, and walked around a bit, but i found it scary to walk the road around the lake. For many people (letfs say those living in Tokyo AND drive), that area is a good driving destination, so many do drive there, they go quite fast, and the road around the lake is not very wide, does not have a decent sidewalk, not to speak of cyclist lane. So i would advise against cycling, though there were a few rental cycle shops near the lake.

We did an overnight from Tokyo - day 1: traveled via train from Tokyo, took the bus, stopped over at a few places along the northern shore, stayed over at a hotel on the northern shore. Day 2: got back to the station via bus, checked out the bus route, and took the bus that took us to the few caves located nearer Lake Saiko. I remember visiting the Bat Cave, and another one (see the map), also that the bus made a stop at the Iyashi no Sato (on the west end of Lake Saiko). The bus schedule was not really frequent, but we managed to get back to the Gem Museum on the bus, where we visited, then took the trains back home to Tokyo.

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6906.html

About taxis, I am not sure about the apps, but I am sure that the hotel can help you with arranging a taxi if needed. But I believe the buses should be fine if you plan ahead. Also check the temperatures at that time of the year - it can be quite cold.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Cycling around Fuji Five Lakes 2021/7/19 11:31
I live near Kawaguchiko and ride around the lakes whenever I get the chance. As the previous poster said, it can be a little cold in Feb/March but just dress warm and you can enjoy clear views of Fuji and the lakes. It's a really beautiful area to ride around.

I used to rent bikes in Kawaguchiko and Yamanakako before I bought my own - some were ok, but many weren't in the greatest condition. My partner is 6 foot and never found a rental bike his size. From what Ifve seen there are no bike rental shops near Motosuko, Shojiko or Saiko.

Personally, I feel safe riding around the lakes. I guess it just depends if you're used to cycling on the road as opposed to a designated cycling path.

Since you want to see all five lakes, you may want to consider a guided tour. A quick google search came up with Fuji Bike Tour. I haven't used them so can't recommend but it may be worth checking out. I really enjoy riding around the lakes so I hope you get to do it while youfre in Japan. All the best!
by tetopko rate this post as useful

Re: Cycling around Fuji Five Lakes 2021/7/20 01:20
I recently saw an episode on NHK's Cycling Around Japan filmed in winter around Mt Fuji and it's lakes. It may give you an idea of what you might encounter on a bicycle and hopefully inspire you to do the ride you have in mind.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/ondemand/video/2070036/
by sjvacc rate this post as useful

Re: Cycling around Fuji Five Lakes 2021/7/23 16:56
Most people I see cycling around the lakes use legit cycling bikes.
What about mamachari bikes? Lol
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread