Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Feedback on 2-week trip to Japan 2021/7/31 05:33
Hello everyone,
I'd appreciate any feedback on my itinerary.

My goal is for May 27th, Thursday - June 10th, Friday in 2022. I would change the dates depending on the state of things.

Tokyo (5)
Kanazawa (1)
Nikko (2)
Kyoto (3)
Nara (1)
Osaka (2)

+Tokyo+

Thursday (Day 1)
-Arrive from Miami
-Someone suggested to stay in Shibuya for its central location to where everything is.
-Explore and get settled in.

Friday (Day 2)
-Head towards Asakusa
-Nakamise, a path with places to eat and gift shops that lead to Senso-Ji Temple.
-Senso-Ji Temple.
-Sumida Park, hangout and continue to explore.
-Sumo Museum, is a 22 min walk from Sumida Park
-Heard about a restaurant cruise, need to look more into it

Saturday (Day 3)
-Shinjuku, walk around and explore.
-Samurai Museum
-Harajuku neighborhood. Omote-sando and Yoyogi-koen for strolling.
-Perhaps the Robot Restaurant at night

Sunday (Day 4)
-Akihabara, go out and explore. I have a feeling I will be spending most of the day here.
-Maruzen Bookstore
-Nakano Broadway

Monday (Day 5)
-Inokashira-kōen
-Imperial Palace East Garden, explore the gardens.
-Other gardens and parks that were recommended: Hotel New Otani, Hotel Chinzanso, Happo-en. Yoyogi-koen, Inokashira (near Ghibli Museum)
-Ghibli Museum
-Ginza, check out Ginza Crossing, Itoya Stationary Store, and Hamarikyu Gardens.

+Kanazawa+

Tuesday (Day 6)
-Day trip to Kanazawa
-Kenruko-en Gardens, to start the early morning.
-Omicho Market, for lunch.
-Kanazawa Castle, explore.
-Ninja Temple.

+Nikko+

Wednesday (Day 7)
-2 days to spend in Nikko
-Canyoning
-Toshogu Shrine

Thursday (Day 8)
-Cycling Tour
-Edo Wonderland

+Kyoto+

Friday (Day 9)
-Arashiyama, Bamboo Grove, start as early as possible to avoid the crowds.
-Tenryu-ji Zen Temple, explore.
-Lunch.
-Kinkaku-ji Temple, also known as the Golden Pavillion.

Saturday (Day 10)
-Fushimi Inari Taisha, hike and explore. Sunrise or before sunset is best.
-Higashiyama District, wander and take photos.

Sunday (Day 11)
-Open for suggestions

+Nara+

Monday (Day 11)
-Todaiji Temple,
-Nandaimon Gate
-Explore

Tuesday (Day 12)
-????

+Osaka+

Wednesday (Day 13)
-Osaka Castle, starting at 9 a.m.
-Don Quixote, random shops.
-Umeda Sky Building
-Dotonbori

Thursday (Day 14)
-????

Friday (Day 15)

Return Home!

This would be my first time to Japan and I'm willing to be flexible and change things around if needed. After watching Japan Guide's video on Toyama and the 5 cycling routes, I would love to fit that in. Would that be a day trip from Tokyo?

Osaka looks great but I'm not as interested compared to other places. I'm willing to make it one day. Would it be better to stay in Kyoto and just take day trips to Nara and the following day to Osaka?

Is the Japan Rail Pass worth it for the type of schedule I have?
by isaias4  

Re: Feedback on 2-week trip to Japan 2021/7/31 12:05
Please take into consideration the time it takes to travel between major cities. Tokyo - Kanazawa is around 3 hours, so is Tokyo - Kyoto. So if you want to start anything earlier in the morning, you need to plan to stay the night before in that city already, requiring that you plan your travel the night before.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Feedback on 2-week trip to Japan 2021/7/31 12:11
The order looks wrong. Put Nikko ahead of Kanazawa is the most obvious and over-night there to save backtracking. Nara as a day trip from Kyoto is easy, and after five days in Tokyo, drop Osaka - add something more interesting/unique (many people include Hiroshima/Miyajima, but you could add a leg in the Alps).

+Tokyo+
Thursday (Day 1) - Stay in Shibuya or Shinjuku, but locations around the Yamanote line places most tourist spots about the same time away. Also, staying at some of the smaller spots around the circle line can save you some serious money without compromising accommodation quality.

Friday (Day 2)
Saturday (Day 3)
Sunday (Day 4)
Monday (Day 5)
Gardens - the Imperial Palace gardens are ok, but certainly not the best Tokyo has to offer. You have Shinjuku in your list, and the national gardens are quite good. Hamarikyu I also like, and I do occasionally explore new parts of Showa Kinen (because it is so seriously huge).

Put Nikko here, ahead of Kanazawa. Edo Wonderland can be a lot of fun.
Kanazawa - do as an overnight. The onward train to Kyoto is an easy extension and saves you several hours wasted travel time.

+Kyoto+
Friday (Day 9)
Saturday (Day 10)
Sunday (Day 11)
Lots of options, what are you actually interested in - beware of doing too many temples.

+Nara+
Monday (Day 11)
Easy as a day trip from Kyoto. I wouldn't change location just for Nara.
Tuesday (Day 12)
Consider going to Hiroshima.

+Osaka+
Wednesday (Day 13)
-Osaka Castle - it's not that great
-Dotonbori - after Shinjuku you might be disappointed.

Thursday (Day 14)
Friday (Day 15)

Did you consider flying back out of Osaka/Kansai?

Japan Rail Pass? Would save you some on your original schedule because you have a lot of backtracking (round trip to Kanazawa and Nikko add up), but those are very inefficient ways of doing those spot. Personally, I wouldn't use a JRP for the locations if they were re-ordered.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Feedback on 2-week trip to Japan 2021/7/31 13:15
@AK

Yes! Definitely right about that. Thank you I will apply your suggestion.

@JapanCustomTours

Amazing! Thank you for all your input, I really appreciate it. I am rearranging my list based off those suggestions and have updated my list. I was a little confused on the route but it's clear now when it comes to Nikko/Kanazawa then into Kyoto. I wasn't sure if I had to keep going back to Tokyo but I understand it better now.

With Kyoto, I'm interested in a mixture of temples, history, and taking a hike to any recommended areas besides what is on my list. Would love to rent a bicycle to cycle around. I'm definitely open to suggestions as I don't have a must-see other than Kinkaku-ji Temple. If something is better I'm all for it.

Osaka dropped from my list. I considered Hirojima but wasn't sure based off my itinerary. Osaka seems big on the food scene and my allergies would prevent me from fully enjoying it anyways. I think I had Osaka as it keeps appearing on other recommended lists.

As for flying out I haven't checked just yet. I was, for now, assuming I would head back to Tokyo and return home after Osaka. Now that Hirojima is at the end of my list then I would still head back to Tokyo. I might be missing some details though when it comes to flights going back.
by isaias4 rate this post as useful

Re: Feedback on 2-week trip to Japan 2021/7/31 15:41

Friday (Day 2)
-Sumo Museum, is a 22 min walk from Sumida Park

check it out, but I somehow remember that it has complicated opening hours. Maybe I am wrong.

Saturday (Day 3)
-Shinjuku, walk around and explore.
you could add Shinjuku Gyoen on this day

Monday (Day 5)
-Inokashira-kōen
-Imperial Palace East Garden, explore the gardens.
-Other gardens and parks that were recommended: Hotel New Otani, Hotel Chinzanso, Happo-en. Yoyogi-koen, Inokashira (near Ghibli Museum)
-Ghibli Museum
-Ginza, check out Ginza Crossing, Itoya Stationary Store, and Hamarikyu Gardens.

All your other Tokyo days look nicely relaxed. Not too empty but no rushing around. But this day here is worth at least 2 days. And unless you are a total garden lover has too much of it. Depending on what you are keen on in these gardens, check out which of them has some seasonal highlight. I think you said June? So sounds like hydrangeas (I think thatfs the English for gajisaih).
Inokashira Koen would go nicely with Ghibli museum. For that museum getting tickets is notoriously difficult. They open presale about a month before and tickets sell out within minutes. So youfll need to get up in the wee hours of the night to try your luck.
Hamarikyu is a very nice garden. Probably my personal favorite but then I had a year pass for it as it was just below my office and we used to go for lunch there. You could potentially combine it with Asakusa, as there is a ferry between Asakusa in this garden.
And regarding the imperial Gardens I agree that they are not one of the best gardens in Japan.

Tuesday (Day 6)
-Day trip to Kanazawa
-Kenruko-en Gardens, to start the early morning.
-Omicho Market, for lunch.
-Kanazawa Castle, explore.
-Ninja Temple.
I agree with@Japan custom Tours. Regarding re-ordering Kanazawa about Nikko. Also word of warning regarding opening hours. In Japan in general many attractions Close quiet early. So either you need to be a really early starter or be a bit light on your plan.

Nikko
Thursday (Day 8)
-Cycling Tour
While I have been cycling extensively in Japan, you got me here. Ifve never cycled in Nikko. See more below regarding cycling suggestions.

+Kyoto+

Friday (Day 9)
-Arashiyama, Bamboo Grove, start as early as possible to avoid the crowds.
-Tenryu-ji Zen Temple, explore.
-Lunch.
-Kinkaku-ji Temple, also known as the Golden Pavillion.

You said that the Kinkaku-ji temple is one of your main goals in Kyoto. As this attraction also gets very busy during the day, At least before Covid, I consider starting there right at the opening hours. I personally actually like Ryoanji Temple, a temple with the famous stone garden, that is very close by, even more. That one is even more affected by crowds, because the main attraction is so much smaller.Last year April, just before returning to Europe and being shut out from Japan ever since I had really nice trips to both of these temples and the bamboo groove in Arashiyama on bike from Osaka.

http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.com/2020/04/kyoto-without-tourists-...
http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.com/2020/04/arashiyama-without-tour...

Sunday (Day 11)
-Open for suggestions

There are definitely a lot more things to do in Kyoto, but I think itfs great to have a free day. So you can just plan spontaneously some thing instead of feeling rushed all the time.

+Nara+

Monday (Day 11)
-Todaiji Temple,
-Nandaimon Gate
-Explore

I am personally a great great fan of Nara. However I agree with PP, that Nora is really a day trip from Kyoto. Although I personally can easily spent 3, 4 days in a Nara.

Tuesday (Day 12)
-????

As you are interested in cycling in Japan, why not cycle from Nara to Horyuji:

https://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.com/2017/11/day-41-nara-to-yamatoy...

You get to see some nice very rural parts of Japan, comes through a region with outstanding temples and pagodas and you can combine cycling with sightseeing. Just remember that in Japan unless you have a bicycle that you can transport in a bag, you cannot take a train with your bicycle. So you will need to cycle back to wherever you rented the bicycle.

+Osaka+
Wednesday (Day 13)
-Osaka Castle, starting at 9 a.m.
-Don Quixote, random shops.
-Umeda Sky Building
-Dotonbori

I agree with you, and the PP that Osaka is not so interesting after you have seen Tokyo. If you are interested in seeing a nice castle, additionally to the one in Kanazawa , you could easily do a trade day trip from Kyoto to Himeji. Osaka Castle is probably the least interesting in Japan.

Thursday (Day 14)
-????
so many options. I agree with the ideas of the PP. However if you want to fit in more cycling, there are also very nice cycling options and Kansai. Depending on how fit and how much you are into cycling, you could do the full around of the Biwako lake, Or cycle through Kibi plain, Or just cycle a lot more Nara prefecture. And I havenft done the ride around the lake, at least not in its entirety , but Ifm sure you can get some inspiration from my past trips or planned trips.

https://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.com/2017/11/day-45-kibi-plain-and-...

https://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.com/search/label/Nara?m=1

https://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.com/search/label/Shiga?m=1

You mentioned Toyama for cycling. You could combine it with Kanazawa (eg get off at Toyama station do your cycling and then go in the evening to Kanazawa for the night and start next day with your Kanazawa sightseeing. However I guess you only got interested in Toyama cycling because of the videos. I havenft cycled precisely there so only have limited experience but unless there is something extremely interesting for you in those Toyama cycling trips, I think you could get similarly nice experience in Nara Prefecture or Shiga. anyway here my Toyama experience:

https://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.com/search/label/Toyama?m=1

Friday (Day 15)

Return Home!
as PP said flying out of Kansai might be a good idea.

This would be my first time to Japan and I'm willing to be flexible and change things around if needed. After watching Japan Guide's video on Toyama and the 5 cycling routes, I would love to fit that in. Would that be a day trip from Tokyo?
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Feedback on 2-week trip to Japan 2021/8/1 01:01
@Like Bike

Thank you for your reply and feedback! Added Shinjuku Gyoen!
My list of gardens were different options I had heard of but always knew I'd probably only stick with less than half of what was listed.

I got the idea of cycling in Nikko from a video that covered it and this was the link they had posted.

https://www.naoc-jp.com/

I went over your blogs and they were very useful, thank you. If I can get a similar experience while in Nara instead of Toyama, then I'd like to try that when it comes to cycling. I definitely like the Nara/Horyuji route. For your Kibi Plain blog post, I really loved this part:

"In the center of this small town, runs a channel on which one can even make some very small gondola tours with the gondolier even signing classic Japanese songs. "

Sounds fantastic to me!

The other bog posts are inspiring. SO much to choose from I'll have to boil it down to which is the most appealing, and they all capture my attention.

There is something I would like to add: Nokogiriyama and Ibaraki's Ushiku Daibutsu. They seem to be day trips from Tokyo. Any suggestions on where I can plug them into during my Tokyo stay? Or do one more than the other? Half/full day?

by isaias4 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread