Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 3: Posts 1 - 20 of 52

1 2 3
next

Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/8/30 10:29
I plan to migrate to Japan. My mother is approx 60 years old and retired. At present she is physically well but she is not close to any other family so she will need to come with me. For now she can visit me on tourist visa to spend 6 months in a year with me but we will likely need a more permanent solution eventually.
She would be considered a high net worth individual so we will not be burdens on the Japanese system. She has a net worth approx 1mil USD when converted, and I have about (when converted to USD) approx 300k. We are migrating mainly because I like the lifestyle in Japan, and economic and political uncertainty in our home country. Reasons are not very important in this particular thread and have been discussed elsewhere.
Options we looked into include:
-Starting a business - I am willing to invest the money I have, mom's net worth is mainly in assets so she can't really touch those right now
-Me finding a job as a highly skilled professional somehow, which according to another thread here (https://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+161654) allows me to bring in one family member? Need to look into that more, but finding a job as a medical doctor in Japan would be hard. I am actually planning to work for a company probably in para-medical like translation.

Just wondering if anyone knows what options we have?
It would be comparatively easier for me to move than her, since I plan to find a job in Japan.
Would being a high net worth individual help her get her visa in any way, since I am quite doubtful I an get the highly skilled professional visa, at least not initially?

Thanks for your input everyone
by Jackson78  

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/8/30 13:41
These topics can get complicated quite quickly. Often different countries have different opportunities to migrate to one particular country. My suggestion would be to speak to a migration agent.

I can confirm to the best of my knowledge that Japan does not have a retirement visa. Japan also used to be quite restrictive with permanent migration so speaking to someone who knows their stuff is key.

One million USD might be seen as a high net worth in Malaysia - but that's not always the case in Japan. Asking if anyone who is on the forum who has managed to do the same might be helpful.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/8/30 14:16
As far as I understand you cannot bring your mother on HSP, unless you have a small child she is going to care for:

https://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/long/visa16.html

g Parents of highly skilled foreign professional or his/her spouses who intend to take care of a grandchild/grandchildren (a child/children of highly skilled foreign professional) under the age of seven or take care of a pregnant highly skilled foreign professional or their spouse: 1 year or 6 monthsh

What MIGHT work if SHE founds a company in Japan (eg with your assets). But she needs to have the intention to actually have a profitable business. You canft just invest money on paper but not have actually any business.

You mention that you are a medical doctor. While getting a job in Japan as medical doctor will be difficult (impossible essentially), there are alternatives to translation work. Obviously if you are really good at medical Japanese (and The target language) you can go for it. Others will know better but translation work isnft too well paid. So maybe consider working in Pharma industry or CROs. At least for CROs in Japan it is quite difficult to hire (Japanese) medical doctors because they want to work either as a clinician or in more prestigious Pharma. But if your Japanese is as good as you seem to suggest, working in CRO should be a possibility.
Depending on your medical specialization you could also look into companies that offer central reading, eg ECG, scans (just to drop one name: Bioclinica) (disclaimer: I havenft worked for them, but worked with them as my customers)
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/8/30 14:41
Thanks for your reply. For me to find a job in Japan is possible, will not say easy, but possible.
However right now I am more worried about getting my mother over, as before I get too involved in job hunting I need to come up with a plan for her.
If I were to work for someone, they are very unlikely to hire her just so she can come over, neither does she want to enter the workforce again. She worked hard and built up her high net worth, and now she has earned her right to retire on it.
However I am just wondering is there any visa for people with the financial means to be able to pay their way and stay indefinitely? In my and many countries if you were a high net worth individual you could buy a share of a business, a shop or some other means of supporting the local economy and you get your permanent residency or even citizenship. For instance in Cayman if you have 1mil invested in the local real estate you get your visa. That is a tax haven though and Japan is obviously different so not a great comparison, but we were wondering if there is any way for her to "buy" her permanent residency. Which I feel is quite fair because she would be providing employment and taxes to Japan as the host country. If she can use her high net worth status to take care of herself in Japan, then I can focus on finding my own way in.
by Jackson78 rate this post as useful

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/8/30 15:41
If you find a job in Japan (getting a medical doctorfs license for Japan would require you to have a full command of the local language), indeed for gdependenth status, shefd have to be alone, over 70, no sibling of yours in your country, etc. (So there is a way for someone who is employed in Japan to bring over their really senior parent, if he/she needs to be financially supported by the one in Japan, but that does not apply to your case.)

Even under the ghigh skilled professionalh visa, provided you are eligible, there are some conditions for you to be allowed to bring over a parent, such as the annual income and the need for the parent to come over to take care of a small child/help with housework.

For the time being (once you are in Japan with work, that is) your mother should be eligible for the long-term holiday-makerfs visa (she needs to show some savings) up to one year. That might give you some time at least, though Ifm not familiar with how they will handle possible renewal, health insurance, social security and taxes for people who stay in Japan on that status. But this is unlikely to be a permanent solution. Best wishes.

by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/8/30 20:35
I didn't see any mention of your country, but you should definitely check if your country has an agreement with Japan for the working holiday visa. That would allow you to setup things in Japan.

Based on the assets that your mother and you have, it appears you can go for the Investor/Business Manager visa. This is usually a 5 year visa. This requires that you have 50,000 dollars in the bank (5 million yen), have a place of business in Japan, hire a Japanese or permanent resident as an employee, and have access to a certified accountant in Japan to provide paperwork to immigration.

However, it is very hard to setup the Investor/Business Manager visa outside of Japan. Including you can get caught up in fraud situations if you pay somebody in Japan to set it up. Arguably, it is better to be in Japan to prepare everything needed to go for the Investor/Business Manager visa, and you can personally see everything involved.

Something you can also do is get a work visa, even if only as an English teacher or something you feel is minor, which will allow you to setup things in Japan yourself and pay for the trip. It appears you do have the money to come as a tourist for 6 months, but it can be difficult for you to do all the paperwork to setup a company, without going through and paying a 3rd party.

The Highly Skilled Foreign Professional Visa is very hard to qualify for and get. Most people don't qualify. Looking at your case, it appears you will get high points for having at least a Master's degree or higher. The issue is that you need to have a Japanese/international company paying you a high salary of over 80,000 dollars (8 million yen). The more money, the more points. That part appears a bit tricky, because you will need to work in a capacity other than what you are doing now, and not sure how the experience and language requirements will play out. If you come close to qualifying, then what might tip you over the edge is passing the JLPT N1 or N2 exam.

Something to keep in mind is that you can switch from the normal work visa to the Highly Skilled Foreign Professional Visa. This is rare, but have heard of some people doing this because they were short only a few points and passing the JLPT N1 or N2 tipped them over or they found a better high paying job while in Japan. But, keep in mind that unless a person is linguistically gifted, passing the JLPT N2 can take a year or more of study (usually more than 1 year).
by Rejo rate this post as useful

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/8/30 23:27
Rejo, thanks for your reply, you raised some good points.
I believe our country qualifies for the 1 year holiday visa (with proof of money in the bank) so that should give sufficient time to set things up.
What kind of business to run though is hard, especially if the business needs to be generating revenue.
We certainly have enough between us to start a business of some kind, but I doubt a business operating at a loss or breaking even is going to get us very far in our PR/citizenship quest.
My understanding is we need to run the business together with perhaps mom as my employee for a number of years, and after residing for 5 years apply for citizenship.
Is it possible to set up some kind of small family investment company where our "business" is reinvesting our assets in Japanese equities? The divident income and gains on approx 1.5mil USD would be quite significant.

Again trying to do all this legally of course.
It may sound a bit strange but essentially she has money that she worked hard for all her life, and would like to take it to Japan to be with me, and where her net worth would be safer than in a politically unstable country.

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/8/31 00:13
Something to be aware of with working holiday visa is that it is for the young only, to experience a long holiday and cultural exchange in Japan and to supplement your holiday with a bit of work, notfor going to set up a business with the aim of bringing over relatives.

The visa is for the majority of qualifying countries, for those under age 30, some countries as low as 25. You haven't mentioned your age or your country so not sure if you would qualify for this?
Sorry if you do, but just something to be aware of
by Chris (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/8/31 00:55
we were wondering if there is any way for her to "buy" her permanent residency. Which I feel is quite fair because she would be providing employment and taxes to Japan as the host country.

My answer may sound unfriendly but I would advise what you are not aware.

Each country has different situation and policy. While some countries are happy with new foreign residents who bring money by setting business or being an investor, promoting employment of locals, this advantage isn't so important, the other things are more prior for the other countries, especially civilized countries, where have problems with those 'I don't like my country so want to move to another country' guys. I suggest you to see carefully if Japan is a right country for you/your mother to spend the money in that way.

If you work as a clinician or a medical doctor in Japan, regardless the employer and work, you need a Japan's national license. (although what you intend to engage seems to be different work)
by GoodLuck (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/8/31 07:51
However I am just wondering is there any visa for people with the financial means to be able to pay their way and stay indefinitely?
The short answer is "NO" - I have looked at this before. (BTW - US1M is not so high, and in assets, not cash, even less relevant.)
Longer answer, even if they can to Japan and set up a business, they actually have to work in that business. If they do not work, or finish working, then they cannot stay in Japan. At age 60 it is unlikely they will want to work the 10 years required to qualify for PR.
They cannot just come to Japan to live/retire. Japan does not allow that.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/8/31 08:12
Agreed, this is going to be really tough for your mother who by the time things get settled for the two of you is going to be well and truly elderly. If you could just start a company and install her in an executive role then obviously there would be no problem but that is not really how things work in practice.

You mention that the reason she is coming with you is that she is not close to any family. Do you have any family in your home country you would consider moving her closer to? It would definitely be easier than moving her to Japan which is difficult not only legally and logistically, but also begs the question does she really want to spend the rest of her life living in a completely foreign country whose language she presumably does not speak a lick of?
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/8/31 08:21
@Jackson78

If you plan to become a citizen of Japan, then the path to do that is a bit different than permanent residency. You only need to live in Japan for 5 years, so you can obtain a normal work visa to meet the residency requirement. Because it appears that you are already financially stable, the process will likely be easier for you. But, you still must show you are paying taxes, not get into any trouble, and meet the other requirements.

You can't usually become a permanent resident of Japan within 5 years, unless you are married to a Japanese national or another permanent resident (been married for 3 years and lived in Japan for at least 1 year), or have qualified for the Highly Skilled Foreign Professional Visa (which few foreigners ever do). If through a normal work visa, it takes 10 years before a person can apply for permanent residency. Japan's requirement is unusually harsh, as oppose to other countries. However, of the foreigners that I have known, they all went the direction of permanent residency as oppose to citizenship.

As to all the ways you can qualify for an Investor/Business Manager visa, you will need to consult with a good immigration lawyer (or possibly two) in Japan. They usually charge a 100 dollar fee for consultation. I have acquaintances that have gone in that direction (who had been living in Japan for years), the main thing I would say about doing such is it is better to be familiar (from numerous trips) or be living in Japan before attempting it. There is a lot of paperwork involved and things you must do, much more than the other types of visas.

You mentioned that you would have your mom as an employee. When you establish the company, it might be possible for your mother to work for you, but it will not help you in terms of qualifying and setting up the business or initially getting the Investor/Business Manager visa. You must have a Japanese national or permanent resident as an employee.

If your mother will be an investor or partner of your business, that would be a different situation, but it is best you consult an immigration lawyer to work out the details of how that could go. Because of her resources and you wanting her to come to Japan too, it does look quite viable.

From what you have typed, what you want to do is very doable (because you have the resources), you just need to find the right path that best suits you.

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/8/31 10:26
I should probably have mentioned, she has more than 1mil USD net worth but only 1mil is for investment. She probably has closer to 2mil total. If I went all in/sold my existing house I could probably raise 500 thousand. That is a significant amount of money, though by no means considered rich by modern standards. Hoping it would be enough to prove to immigration we can financially support ourselves and contribute to the local economy.
Also other questions others have asked: She will be in her early 60s and me in my early 30s at the time of proposed move. We are from Malaysia.

As for investment visa, I will need to find out more about that, I thought that was more for people starting big business, which we do not have the means to do so.

I see a few options though:
-Buy a stake in an existing small business
-Start a small business with my mother and I as joint partners, and hire 1 full time or 2 part time locals in junior positions

Maybe we could open some kind of office to manage the pool of shares/other securities we could buy, and the employee would be responsible for keeping the office running eg cleaning.
Not sure how this would work with a joint pool of 1mil though, the profit from that would barely be enough to cover the salary of said employee.

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/8/31 10:27
Also forgot to add: I am after citizenship, she is after permanent residency. What we want are slightly different.
Thanks.

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/8/31 11:12
Do note that Japan does not allow dual citizenship unlike other countries. It also has one of the oldest populations which means that major pressures are being felt on being able to provide the services needed to the retiring population.

What does this mean? Well - migration laws tend to sway towards people with skills needed and not towards retirees. I'm aware of major changes occurring in 2018 (I think) which significantly increased the ability of foreigners to become permanent residents either through business or skills. But still - I only see headaches in moving a retired, about to retire or retire in a decade person.

Others know more than I - but I do see a possibility of you moving to Japan but that in itself will be a challenge. Speaking to people in the industry in Japan that are Japanese (or Japanese first language) will be pivotal in this. Getting family over that's not a partner and kids - that's an even bigger headache.

Is it possible? Maybe - but getting information from someone who deals in this day to day is pivotal.

by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/8/31 14:00
Starting business, employing a few locals, and paying tax would contribute some people in Japan. However, I am wondering if doing it with your mother is contribution for Japan itself, where has social issues elders.

The biggest issue is welfare service. Not enough care takers are available, many elders are in the waiting list for a care house. That means so many elders live without proper care, are in the waiting list for a care house, and many accidents such as missing, traffic accidents etc, which cause injury or even death are occurred, not only the amount of tax that working generations pay is getting higher and higher. (I guess this is why there is not a visa for retired senior or pensioners, no capacity for elder migrants.)

Since your mother is not that age yet and fine, it is early for you to think of taking care of her, but have you think of possibility that your mother suddenly got sick, like stroke? What if it happened in Japan after moving and she needed to be cared for daily life?

I am sorry to write negative things, this is even off the topic, but I wanted to share for your mother's happy life as Asian with an aging mother.
by Jipo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/8/31 22:43
Immigration checks your business plan. I don't think they recognize a family investment company as "business". Also, the company needs to get in black in a certain period.
Keeping employment costs a lot. It's roughly 1.4 times as much as the actual salary.
In short, the REAL business is required.
by Tai (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/9/1 02:42
I agree with @Tai, you emphasize contribution for locals but immigration will see establishment of a company and hiring locals as a cleaner are just for a visa. I have seen many Asian wealthy people who attempted like that but visa was denied.

Basically Japan visa is not granted in case We are migrating mainly because I like the lifestyle in Japan, and economic and political uncertainty in our home country.
by mamoru (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/9/1 15:25
"Basically Japan visa is not granted in case We are migrating mainly because I like the lifestyle in Japan, and economic and political uncertainty in our home country." --mamoru

I think there is some confusion about the process:

1) People are allowed to have their own personal reasons for coming to Japan, which will not be something that immigration can see or judge for a work visa or Investor/Business Manager visa.

For example a person can submit for a work visa, because they got a job offer from a company in Japan. The person may have other internal reasons for why they want to work in Japan, like they enjoy Japanese culture or because of political prosecution in their home country.

On the paperwork, there is no place to enter their personal feelings or reasons, but rather their work history, pay, etc... and then submission of their degree, certifications, tax documents, bank statements, etc...

2) Immigration can only judge by what the person is submitting for.

It is a matter of if the person meets the criteria asked for on the paperwork and submits all the proper documents requested. It is not a situation where immigration officials attempt to deny a visa because they don't like how a foreigner thinks or feels about Japan. The process is not bias or arbitrary in that way. If a foreigner is denied a visa, it is usually for specific fact based reasons. They failed to submit a requested document, criminal history, insufficient work history, etc...

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/9/1 17:44
Even if you(mother) don't say to immigration that I(she) want to migrate Japan because I(she) dislike my country, and even if there is not problem with paper work, there is not crime record, immigration may refuse to give a visa. That is what happened with applicants who applied a student visa, a spouse visa also. Yes, sometimes (or often?) immigration can't find that the applicant's real intention is hidden, a visa will be given. But even if your mother got a visa and managed to migrate, immigration will probably find out that your mother is actually working or not, especially if she doesn't speak Japanese.

Does 'buying' a visa make you and your mother really happy? I believe you, who is educated understand that how much money your mother has is not only element to be considered.

P.S : If you consult a lawyer or agent, please be careful with one who make money by helping people with a wrong way. Their 'kindness' is fake.
by Jipo (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 3: Posts 1 - 20 of 52

1 2 3
next

reply to this thread