Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 25

1 2
next

SOFA to Work Visa (ALT?) 2021/9/22 14:50
I am a U.S. military member stationed here in Japan. My contract ends September of 2022 and I want to transfer from SOFA status onto a work visa, perhaps ALT as my degree is Political Science and it seems that ALT is the easiest route to start a life in Japan. Does anyone know the exact process of doing this? How would I go about searching for any jobs? Can I start the process while I'm still on SOFA? How difficult is it to find a job and get sponsored by a school? Or if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. Thank you.
by Blake66  

Re: SOFA to Work Visa (ALT?) 2021/9/24 05:25
@Blake66

You are in an unusual situation. But, from what I've seen and heard, it is possible.

Since you are in Japan, you can search and interview for jobs at any time. Don't see why you are confused about such. Just go start contacting companies and recruiters and do interviews, as the scheduling permits. Just be clear that you would not be available to start work until next year (9/2022).

The tricky part would be the timing of your switch over from SOFA to work visa. Probably around 6 months out will be critical. This is because you don't want to get caught having to switch to a tourist visa, then having to apply for the work visa. It will usually be more convenient to do the switch from SOFA to work visa while in Japan.

You will want the company that will hire you to give you the job offer paperwork. If possible, you want that at least 3 months in advance. Then you want them to submit your application for the work visa. So, if/when you get the approval, you just have to go down to immigration to get your new visa.

Also, because you are SOFA, you will need some additional documents to clarify that you are no longer under it. You can't have both SOFA and a work visa at the same time. So you will need a document clarifying what specific day that you will no longer be SOFA, and give that to immigration. On the day you are no longer SOFA, immigration can then give you the work visa.
by Rejo rate this post as useful

Re: SOFA to Work Visa (ALT?) 2021/9/24 08:38
@Rejo - You can't have both SOFA and a work visa at the same time. So you will need a document clarifying what specific day that you will no longer be SOFA, and give that to immigration. On the day you are no longer SOFA, immigration can then give you the work visa.

Isn't that making a huge assumption that Immigration will be helpful and grant a new status of residence on a specific day, and it does not actually work like that.
That said, I have seen other forums/posts that suggest transitioning from SOFA to a valid status of residence is not too difficult. There does appear to be a grace period between finishing coverage under SoFA and obtaining a new status - there are some educational institutions that describe the process/timing that would apply for SoFA to student for example.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: SOFA to Work Visa (ALT?) 2021/9/24 19:27
@JapanCustomTours

From what a few friends in that situation have told me, it works the way I described. Also, I don't see the purpose of you constantly being a contrarian, but then typing a similar response to the one that I gave.

"There does appear to be a grace period between finishing coverage under SoFA and obtaining a new status"-- JapanCustomTours

This "grace period" is because the person submitted paperwork to change the type of visa they are under or they got approval for the work visa and immigration is giving the person time to get the paperwork stating they are no longer under SOFA.

However, for the OP, there is no "grace period" if the person doesn't have paperwork at immigration. If the time period of the SOFA is finished, the person must leave Japan and/or change to a tourist visa. In that situation, you might have to leave Japan, then come back as a tourist. That will also be a bit expensive, and make attempting to transition to a work visa far more difficult.

Re: SOFA to Work Visa (ALT?) 2021/9/25 07:52
Pointing out that the OP would need a visa/status of residence needing to be issued on a specific day in not "contrarian". As I stated, I consider that to be a significant risk.
The further information I provided was also, not as you characterise, similar to your response, but pointing out that there are procedures that allow for a gap between being under SoFA and a different status of residence, that your post did not cover.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: SOFA to Work Visa (ALT?) 2021/9/25 12:25
@JapanCustomTours

Saying there is a gap or "grace period", as you typed, can be misleading or create a dangerous misunderstanding. For people under SOFA, immigration needs to know the specific date they will no longer be under it and must have a document that specifies that date. SOFA is special and isn't like the other types of visas.

For those under SOFA, it is said they have to show that they have an official job offer from a company that can be verified in order to stay in Japan, or it is some situation like they have a Japanese spouse, so can switch over to a different visa that way. Otherwise they have to book a flight to leave Japan.

It is not so simple as they can allow their SOFA to expire and then hang around Japan, as that is illegal. There is no "grace period" in which they can hang around Japan after their SOFA has expired. In fact, they have to go through various processes to remove the SOFA, and when doing so, must get approval beforehand that they can stay Japan and not have to book a flight out.

The person under SOFA has to submit the paperwork to change over to the work visa (which can also be the immigration lawyer hired by the company), before the day of which their SOFA expires. On the day that their SOFA is removed/expires, then they will either get an administrative stamp because immigration is still processing the switch over or on that day they will get a Japanese visa. In this case, we are referring to a work visa, but in some cases can be a marriage visa (because of having a Japanese spouse).

Re: SOFA to Work Visa (ALT?) 2021/9/25 13:35
I'm former military. I went through the process. There IS a grace period and it's given to you automatically. You have 30 days to apply for a visa AFTER you out-process from the base and your Sofa expires.

During this grace period, you have no status and you cannot work until your work visa is approved.

Get details from the personnel office on base and the Japanese immigration office.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: SOFA to Work Visa (ALT?) 2021/9/25 15:24
Oh really "guest"... So after their SOFA has expired/was removed, they are allowed to dilly dally around Japan with no ID. Haha... That's a nice one.

So such a person can hang out at the Japanese clubs, beat people up, and have no care in the world?

With no ID and no SOFA status, they can come on and off the base? Amazing!

Or, are you referring to the administrative process where you already have submitted your paperwork to change to a Japanese visa to immigration, and they give you a processing stamp to allow you to stay in the country.

By the way, a work visa is not automatically approved. Not to mention, if you haven't submitted the paperwork to Japanese immigration and got their processing stamp, then the person has no legal status in Japan. Please do ask Japanese immigration about it.

Re: SOFA to Work Visa (ALT?) 2021/9/25 16:19
A bit extra to help people not get into trouble and prevent them from being misled, as don't want to see anybody end up in jail because of mistaken thinking. There is no such a thing as having no status in Japan.

In such a scenario as described by the OP, the person is under: SOFA, is a tourist, being processed by Japanese immigration (given a stamp showing they are awaiting approval for a visa), or is under the various Japanese visas (like work or marriage).

If their SOFA status is removed/expired, then they need to have their passport properly stamped/processed by Japanese immigration.

Re: SOFA to Work Visa (ALT?) 2021/9/25 16:45
Well, the OP will figure it out. The base personnel, to my surprise, was well informed about it.

@Rejo

As I said it's automatic, no need to apply for it. It's a "no status" so you cannot apply for it. The Japanese immigration office is also familiar with Sofa and they can answer these questions. Why do you say not to ask? Of course, you can ask them.

The military has ID cards. It has an expiration date on it. This can be used to prove your grace period.

Do you know how a foreign baby born in Japan gets a visa? Do you think it needs visa papers submitted before the birth? Do you think the parents needs to go to immigration office on the delivery date and get a visa? Or else get arrested and deported? Well, no. They have 30 days to apply for the visa. During this time, the baby has no status.

On paper, someone who loses Sofa just appears in Japan out of nowhere, just like a baby. That's why the rules are the same for both.

Hopefully, no one believes us on this topic or other visa topics without checking with the authorities themselves. A lot of bad info out there.

Re: SOFA to Work Visa (ALT?) 2021/9/25 21:23
"The military has ID cards. It has an expiration date on it. This can be used to prove your grace period."--Guest

It is not the military ID that determines status, it is their orders. If they are under orders to be in Japan, then they have SOFA. If not, they are under the jurisdiction of Japanese immigration.

It is possible to have a military ID and not be SOFA, such as a retiree or reservist. The retiree or reservist in Japan who is not under SOFA, is under the jurisdiction of and must report to Japanese immigration.

"...foreign baby..."--Guest

The baby has parents. If both parents of the baby are under SOFA, then the baby automatically falls under SOFA too.

You are also confusing the birth of a baby to parents under SOFA, versus a person who has their SOFA removed or it has expired. Before or once the SOFA has expired or been removed, they have to report to Japanese immigration or leave Japan. There is no such a thing as "no status" or a "grace period" where their SOFA has expired or been removed.

Before the SOFA expires, if the person wishes to stay in Japan, they must report to Japanese immigration to have their passport processed and stamped. Otherwise, such a person must leave Japan. There is no "grace period" and there is no period of "no status". You appear to be confusing when a person has their passport stamped because their visa paperwork is being processed by immigration.

In addition, the insanity of your statement about "no status" and "grace period" can be easily tested. Walk up to a Japanese police officer with no ID, expired SOFA/no SOFA, and/or no stamp from Japanese immigration on their passport and be put immediately into jail.

In context to the OP, he must go through the process as I have described in an earlier post. If he finds a company that will sponsor a work visa in Japan, prior to his SOFA expiring, he or his company (which can hire an immigration lawyer) must submit the paperwork to change over his visa.

If SOFA will expire before approval of the work visa, they must report to Japanese immigration so that they can get a stamp showing their paperwork for visa approval is being processed. This is the "grace period" that you might be referring to.

However, it is not "no status". It is that their paperwork is being processed by Japanese immigration. When Japanese immigration has made their decision, they will then send a postcard telling the person to report to immigration again or they might give a specific date telling the person they must bring additional documents to them by a certain date.

In addition, Japanese immigration will ask for documents showing the exact date of when the SOFA expires or is removed. It must be clear that the person is no longer under SOFA, prior to them granting any type of Japanese visa.

Re: SOFA to Work Visa (ALT?) 2021/9/26 06:29
I was talking about babies born to non-Sofa foreigners. They have 30 days to apply for a visa for the baby. Same as someone who loses Sofa. They have no status during this time. I've already asked immigration about this.

Have you seen military ID cards? Active duty, reserve, and retirees have different cards. You can't show the police a reservist card and claim Sofa. You can with an active duty one. No one carries their orders around unless they are actually traveling.

You are correct about not being able to get a visa before Sofa expires. I had my orders and a letter from the legal office (on base) stating when my Sofa ended. I applied for my visa during my grace period, after my Sofa ended and I had no status.

Re: SOFA to Work Visa (ALT?) 2021/9/26 08:46
"I was talking about babies born to non-Sofa foreigners."--Guest

Why type about unrelated issues? What does a baby born to non-SOFA foreigners have to do with switching from SOFA to a work visa?

The only way a baby can be put under SOFA is that at least one of the parents is SOFA and registers the child as their dependent. Until then, if the baby's mother is Japanese, then the child is Japanese too and a citizen of Japan.

"You are correct about not being able to get a visa before Sofa expires. "--Guest

Yes, I know, you can't have both SOFA and a Japanese visa. Therefore, Japanese immigration needs documentation clarifying when the SOFA has expired.

"You can't show the police a reservist card and claim Sofa."--Guest

Yes, as I typed, simply having an ID card from the military base doesn't mean you are under SOFA. It was what you typed previously that can cause confusion.

"The military has ID cards. It has an expiration date on it. This can be used to prove your grace period."

The issue here is clarification about military ID. You can be a worker on the military base, including a Japanese person, and have a military base ID. Just because you have an ID from the military base, doesn't mean you have SOFA.

What means that a person has SOFA is their orders, stating they are under it. They are under SOFA until the day those orders expire.

There is no "grace period" or "no status" period, where the SOFA has expired or been removed and the person is allowed to legally stay in Japan. The person has to become:

A) A tourist (temporary visitor)

B) Be under under one of the various other Japanese visas (like work or marriage)

C) Are being processed and waiting a decision by Japanese immigration

Furthermore:

1) If you applied for your Japanese visa prior to your SOFA ending, then you are under SOFA until it expires or is removed.

2) If your SOFA has expired and your ID was returned, but your Japanese visa application is still being processed, then you are under the jurisdiction and control of Japanese immigration.

Japanese immigration should have stamped your passport as such, when the SOFA was removed. Because if you were stopped by the Japanese police, in such a "no status", they can put such a person in jail.

3) If the person has a reservist or retiree ID, this might confuse some Japanese police.

However, if the Japanese police are familiar with military IDs it will not. They will then ask to see your passport or call the military base.

When they call the military base about such a person, they can get quick confirmation if the person under SOFA. There is no "grace or no status" period. The person is either under SOFA or not.

If the person doesn't show a proper stamp on their passport or proof they are being processed by Japanese immigration, then they will likely be put in jail.

"...I had my orders and a letter from the legal office (on base) stating when my Sofa ended. I applied for my visa..."

If you applied for a Japanese visa prior to your SOFA ending, then you are being processed by Japanese immigration. Until your SOFA has expired or been removed, then you are still under SOFA.

When your SOFA has expired or been removed, you must report to Japanese immigration and have them stamp your passport. Failing to do so leaves the possibility of being put into jail by the Japanese police.

Best not to create confusion or mislead others, because it might cause someone to be put in jail. If a person is stopped by Japanese police while in "no status", what to you think they will do?

1) They will ask to see your ID.

Failure to show an ID, showing them a reservist or retiree ID, or showing an expired ID will lead to trouble. If they are confused about your ID, they will ask for other documentation or call the military base.

2) If they can't determine your status by the ID, they will ask to see your passport.

If the passport doesn't have SOFA or a stamp by Japanese immigration, the person is clearly in trouble. If the person doesn't have their passport and they can't determine status by ID, they are also in trouble.

3) If you show them a military base ID or claim association with the military base, they will call them.

The Japanese police will detain you, then call the military base to clarify if you are under SOFA or not. They might take the person to the koban first, then call.

4) If they call the military base to verify if SOFA, and the military police say they are not.

And if the person has no passport stamp or documents from Japanese immigration, they are going to stay in jail. The person can argue with the Japanese police about "no status or grace period" as much as they like, but they will likely stay in jail and be processed for deportation.

Re: SOFA to Work Visa (ALT?) 2021/9/26 08:58
To be honest, I'm giggling over here reading your reply. You really are making things up.

The OP will find out the truth when he goes through the process.

Re: SOFA to Work Visa (ALT?) 2021/9/26 09:35
https://www.tuj.ac.jp/ug/visa/apply/changing-status/sofa.html

This is the procedure to switch from Sofa to student visa.
After losing Sofa status, you have 30 days (grace period) to apply for the visa.

As I already said, you don't need to apply for this grace period. It's automatic.

Re: SOFA to Work Visa (ALT?) 2021/9/26 12:18
@Guest

You are thinking that you are winning a point, but don't understand the background of the process involved.

You are confusing the process of getting a student visa from a school, versus getting a work visa from a company in Japan. The company in Japan that a military person can be applying to has no special relationship with the military base or immigration. There is nothing special being done, other than the normal process all companies and people must go through to get approval for a work visa.

Another area of confusion for you can possibly be the difference between the expiration date on the orders declaring SOFA status and the physical removal of SOFA from the passport.

It is possible to have expired orders, but still have the SOFA stamp in the passport. While the SOFA stamp is in the passport, the person is still technically under SOFA status. But that depends, because the person can also be on the run or some other violation.

They can also remove the SOFA from the passport and put the person under a temporary status.

This would only be done because the person has been accepted by the school, meets all qualifications, and they will be submitting for a visa to Japanese immigration.

Furthermore, you may not be understanding what a 3rd party is doing on your behalf. If an immigration lawyer or school submits an application for a Japanese visa on your behalf, that still means your are being processed by Japanese immigration. If a Japanese official puts a temporary status stamp on your passport, that still means you are under the jurisdiction of Japanese immigration.

"...If you are able to separate from the military from within Japan..."

In order to do this, the military person needs permission, else they must book a flight to leave Japan.

The military person can't simply decide on their own that they will stay in Japan as they please and allow their SOFA to expire.

In context to the OP, who wants to switch to a Japanese work visa, he needs to have the paperwork stating he has a job offer and they will sponsor his work visa. Then his command can choose to allow him to separate in Japan.

"...If you are able to separate from the military from within Japan, you can apply for your student visa in Japan..."

If you are under SOFA, then apply for a Japanese student visa, then you are being processed by Japanese immigration. You are not under a "no status".

"In order to qualify for student status, you must be admitted to a full-time program of study"

The military person must be accepted by the school, prior to the expiration of their SOFA, in order to stay in Japan.

Removal of SOFA

Whenever your SOFA is removed or expires, you have no legal status to stay in Japan, unless:

A) Tourist (temporary visitor)

Your SOFA can be removed and then you are given a temporary status

B) Have one of various Japanese visas

C) Have submitted a visa application to Japanese immigration that is being processed

The school can submit the visa application on behalf of the student, provided they were accepted into their program.

If the SOFA is removed from the passport, it must be replaced by a stamp from a Japanese immigration official, else the person is not legally allowed to stay in Japan.

Of course a person is free to play joker as they like and think they can run around Japan with expired or removed SOFA status, and having no Japanese stamp to replace it, but if they run into the Japanese police, they will be in jail.

Re: SOFA to Work Visa (ALT?) 2021/9/26 12:47
"As I already said, you don't need to apply for this grace period. It's automatic." --Guest

You are very wrong and giving misinformation. Military members are not allowed to separate in Japan without permission from their command. They are not allowed to be in Japan on expired SOFA orders. They are also not allowed to stay in Japan with the SOFA stamp removed from their passport and nothing to replace it.

Furthermore, OP didn't say he was trying to get a student visa, but is trying to get a work visa. The process that a company has to obtain a work visa can be very different from that of a school.

Re: SOFA to Work Visa (ALT?) 2021/9/26 17:38

So you're saying what immigrations told me is wrong?
What the base officials told me is wrong?
The grace period is only for student visas and not for work visas?

I somehow slipped through the cracks and didn't get jailed for not having a visa before my Sofa expired?

Here is another source to look at:

https://visaforjapan.info/what-will-happen-once-you-lose-your-sofa-sta...

This immigration specialist states you can stay up to 60 days after Sofa expires with no status, without doing anything.

The application for a visa can start after the Sofa expires, just like what I did. It doesn't matter what kind of visa, as long as you apply within 30 days.

You're correct the OP needs to inform the base that he will separate locally. He just needs any reason to do that, such as going to school or to work. It's not complicated. He can even just stay in Japan to do sightseeing, which he's allowed to do for up to 60 days.

Do you know that the OP doesn't have a Sofa stamp in his passport? He may not even have a passport. I didn't have one when I came to Japan. Active duty members don't need one. Even if he has a passport, they will not stamp it.

Where are you getting your info? Please share your source.

Re: SOFA to Work Visa (ALT?) 2021/9/26 19:14
There is a difference between collecting random information from the internet versus talking to people that know and went through the process. I have friends who were former military and work in Japan.

"So you're saying what immigrations told me is wrong?"--Guest

No, I'm saying that what you typed is wrong OR you have a misunderstanding about the entire process involved.

You also are possibly not giving full details, don't fully remember all the details, or are just using random data on the internet versus actual experience.

For example:

1) During the "grace period", did you have an ID card from and access to the military base?
2) Where did you stay during this "grace period"? Especially with a claim of expired SOFA.
3) Where did you live during the "grace period"?
4) Did you or when did you visit immigration? Etc...

"The grace period is only for student visas and not for work visas?"--Guest

OP is trying to work for a company in Japan, it's not the same as the process for a school that gives out a student visa. Thus you are creating confusion.

Also, you can't walk around Japan with no valid ID, no passport, and no or expired "SOFA orders".

"He may not even have a passport. "--Guest

If the person is not active duty and under SOFA, they can't stay in Japan without a passport. Such a person will be put into jail. A person needs a passport to be a tourist, to get a work visa, or to be processed by Japanese immigration.

"Active duty members don't need one."--Guest

That is true, if they are active duty and under SOFA. That is NOT true if they wish to stay in Japan after their SOFA is removed or expired.

Also, there are different kinds of SOFA, for instance for dependents, civilian workers, etc... In those cases, they must have a passport.

"He just needs any reason to do that, such as going to school or to work."--Guest

Ah no to do that too. His/her command will decide if the reason is good enough or valid to allow them to separate in Japan. Thus the OP would need the job offer paperwork from the company. His/her command will scrutinize it and confirm its legitimacy.

"Even if he has a passport, they will not stamp it."--Guest

That is incorrect. The status of the person will be indicated on the passport. If they are in Japan as a tourist, it will show it. If they are being processed by immigration, they are at least given documentation indicating such. If they are under the various Japanese visas, they are given a Japanese ID.

Re: SOFA to Work Visa (ALT?) 2021/9/26 19:17
How would I go about searching for any jobs?

So, are you looking to search jobs other than ALT jobs? If you won't apply a spouse of Japanese national visa, please keep in mind that you should find a job, which you can engage with one of visas for working listed on https://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/long/index.html There is no visa called 'work visa', which allows you to engage any jobs.

How difficult is it to find a job and get sponsored by a school?

As for ALT, it would be hard unless you are a native speaker. (Public) schools don't seem to sponsor your visa as they don't employ ALTs directly. ALTs are generally employed by agencies or BOE, and BOE tend to employ those who have a visa (resident status) already while agencies sponsor.
by A (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 25

1 2
next

reply to this thread