Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Passport renewal + Spouse residency card 2021/9/28 09:29
Hello,

I'm staying in Japan with a Spouse of Japanese National type of zairyu card (residency card) that will expire in February 2022 and, the passport that I used to enter the country, will also expire in June 2022.
Usually when I do the paperwork for extending the residency card there is a box to fill in the passport number.

So my question is, if I renew the passport now and do the paperwork in a month or so for the extension, will this be a problem/something to be concerned about, since I guess the new passport will have a different number.

Also will a different number on the passport be a problem for the residency card that I have right now?

Thanks in advance for any response.
by Br0do  

Re: Passport renewal + Spouse residency card 2021/9/28 15:54
My understanding is that you need a valid passport whenever you renew. So if you did the renewal at immigration on 2/2022 and your passport is valid to 6/2022 then you are fine.

I think the cut off limit is that the passport needs at least 2 months of validity, else you need to renew it before submitting paperwork to immigration. You can of course call immigration or your embassy to confirm.

Also, since immigration makes photocopies of passports, they would know about the old and new ones that you submit to them.

I'm staying in Japan with a Spouse of Japanese National type of zairyu card (residency card) that will expire in February 2022 and, the passport that I used to enter the country, will also expire in June 2022.
Usually when I do the paperwork for extending the residency card there is a box to fill in the passport number.

So my question is, if I renew the passport now and do the paperwork in a month or so for the extension, will this be a problem/something to be concerned about, since I guess the new passport will have a different number.

Also will a different number on the passport be a problem for the residency card that I have right now?

Thanks in advance for any response.
by Rejo rate this post as useful

reply to this thread