Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Change from Japan work visa to SOFA status 2021/11/26 09:54
Hello everyone. I have some concerns and I hope that you can help me with it.

My fiancé & and I are getting married next month. I am planning to join him. He still has 2 years here in Japan. I am working as an ALT here with an Engineer visa for 2 more years and I am thinking of changing it to SOFA status.
I am a bit hesitant that I might not gonna get a job in the base though and I heard that once you quit your job, you only have 3 months to find another job regardless of the length of your visa or else it might be revoked.

My questions are:

1. How is the process of changes from Japan visa to SOFA status? Does it take a long time? Do I need to go out of the country and come back to get my SOFA stamp?

2. Will I find job sooner in the base ?

I appreciate your replies. Thank you!
by Nadventure (guest)  

Re: Change from Japan work visa to SOFA status 2021/11/27 10:19
1. For formalities, basically I advise you to see Japan immigration site and contact person of sofa in charge in order to get accurate and up-to-date information. I think most people here know only formality of Japan side, that you must submit a form to immigration when you quit (cancelled/end the contact of) ALT job but don't know what to do with sofa. Somebody might have friends on sofa and tell you something but remember information could be inaccurate even if he/she is not a troll.

2. This is a site about Japan, you can ask US related site.
by ..... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Change from Japan work visa to SOFA status 2021/11/28 12:01
It only took me an hour to change my kaigo visa to sofa status as long as you have his order and you're on his 2nd page and you have the dependent i.d. You can stay in Japan as long as your husband is here but unfortunately you can't work anymore except inside the base.
by Angie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Change from Japan work visa to SOFA status 2021/11/29 15:14
@Angie
DId you find work in the base? would you advise to keep the Japanese visa or change to sofa status?
by Nadventure rate this post as useful

reply to this thread