Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Quarantine days clarification 2021/12/2 17:34
Hi everyone

Looking for a bit of clarity on the meaning of how the days are counted for quarantine so I can book my private car correctly

So arriving in Japan from the UK, I am subject to 6 days quarantine at a government paid hotel then the rest of the 14 days at home.
I am subject to covid tests on the third and sixth day.

Can someone clarify if my interpretation is correct below.

I arrive in Japan on 31 December 2021.
Does this mean my covid tests will be done on 3rd January and 6th January?

Also does it mean if my test is negative on 6th January, I can leave to go home on 6th January?

If someone can clarify that will be very helpful, any experiences you'd like to tell me about are appreciated

Thanks
by Bucketocheese (guest)  

Re: Quarantine days clarification 2021/12/2 20:49
You can't enter Japan on that day.
https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html

All the rules for 2022 will change according to the situation.
by Tai (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Quarantine days clarification 2021/12/2 20:56
@Tai

Yes I can I am a Japanese resident spouse of a Japanese

I have a reentry permit granted before the omricon variant ruled came out. It states on Mofa, mhlw, and the embassy sites that one can enter still in this scenario

by Bucketocheese (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Quarantine days clarification 2021/12/2 21:00
Oh, ok.
Then your spouse should can check the latest information for the Japanese nationals because it will be issued in Japanese.
by Tai (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Quarantine days clarification 2021/12/2 21:08
Thanks Tai

Although we have already researched, I'm asking for clarification on how it should be interpreted with my specific dates. It doesn't state this clearly on any of the official sites whether I should stay overnight on the 6th day or whether I can leave on the 6th day, that's what I'm struggling to make sense of.
Best the Japanese and English say the same thing

Can anyone else shed some light on this

Re: Quarantine days clarification 2021/12/3 01:40
https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

I didn't find anything specific to the 6 day quarantine.
For the 14 day quarantine, the above page states that it means 14 full days, and the day you arrive doesn't count. If it is the same for your shortened quarantine, then you should be able to leave on January 7th.
You could try calling the HCO to get a confirmation.
by ML (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Quarantine days clarification 2021/12/3 02:41
Thanks ML

Yes you are correct regarding the 14 days full quarantine, you're effectively free on day 15(not including arrival day).

As for the Government hotel for 6days, I had the idea to try contacting the embassy and they confirmed I can go home ON the 6th day as long as my covid test is negative and they stated this would be January 6th in my case.

So hopefully this can help some other people who need to book things on specific days work out when they would be allowed home

Re: Quarantine days clarification 2021/12/3 09:01
Typically arrival day does not count for many measures, and the language used is "on the 3rd day after entering Japan" in the Q&A around shortened quarantine measures. Also note, the guidance does explicitly list a "day zero" so with a 31st December arrival, day three is 3rd Jan.
Therefore, I think your days/dates look correct. I would note that the time between taking the test and the return of the result might make your arranging a car a little problematic.
https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000857049.pdf
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Quarantine days clarification 2021/12/3 17:17
Thank you Japancustomtours

Yes you are right, how do they expect people to make these arrangements when specific times are needed?

I've read the tests are done in the morning quite early so I've arranged for a car in late afternoon in the hope that I will be finished in time!

reply to this thread