Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Failing the pre-screening in gaimen kirikae 2022/5/23 00:30
If you failed the pre-screening in gaimen kirikae, can you apply again? I understand that Japan is very strict with documents and there are few foreigners who tried using forged documents to get a Japanese driver's license. My license and documents are 100% not forged though and I have been driving for years in my home country. I also have submitted all the required documents but only to be told that I have failed the pre-screening application. I was so disappointed, I needed to have a license so bad because it would be convenient for me to drive to my part-time job and skills training location everyday. (I live in rural area and I have a far workplace.) Driving school is too expensive for me, and I'm also a vocational college student so I don't have the luxury of time for it.
by Lee (guest)  

Re: Failing the pre-screening in gaimen kirikae 2022/5/23 14:26
Can you be more specific with "have failed the pre-screening application.". Which country are you from ?

"have been driving for years in my home country. "Can you proof/show supporting evident that you stay at the same place(where your first licence is issued) for minimum 3 months or more?

Most problem people have is :
1. proofing the 3 months stay (at same place where the licence is issued)after your first issued full driving
licence.

2. not having a full fledge driving licence.

Tokyo metropolitan Police website "How to convert a foreign license into a Japanese". More or less what you need to have/do for gaimen kirikae

https://www.keishicho.metro.tokyo.lg.jp/multilingual/english/traffic_s...

by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Failing the pre-screening in gaimen kirikae 2022/5/23 21:24
pre-screening is only paper-investigation.
it is not a matter of "easy" or "difficult". it is a matter of "eligible" or "not eligible".

your appeal about your driving ability has no meaning.
you should clarify why they decide you are not eligible. I am sure that they told you the reason. if you solve it, you can reapply. otherwise, just waste their time, if you re-apply it.

if you are unclear about the reason, go to the driving center again with your Japanese friend to ask the reason. then, you will know you have a hope or not.
the problem is that you could not understand their explanation.
they are very fair. the reason that the procedures are so complicated is that so many people (from various countries) come to the driving center to change driving licenses now.
a long time ago, when I changed my US driving license to Japanese one, it was very easy.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Failing the pre-screening in gaimen kirikae 2022/5/24 10:25
Take note what ken said above, basically if you don't meet the requirement, then driving school it is.
So again, check and double check the reason for rejection, either there is misunderstanding or miscommunication and work it out from there.

a long time ago, when I changed my US driving license to Japanese one, it was very easy.
and that is one of the few reason why they got strict with it, a lot of Japanese people just hop on a plane to Hawaii or Guam or any places(for short holidays) where they can get/pass driving test easily/cheap rather than going to 'normal' driving school.

Also to curb the repeat usage of IDP (International Driving Permit). As a resident, you can only use IDP upto a year/it expired(whichever come first) .

In the old days, people (Japanese/foreign resident) misuse the above to avoid expensive/complicated driving licence.
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Failing the pre-screening in gaimen kirikae 2022/5/24 11:59
that is right.
add some. some persons, who lost their Japanese driving licenses by traffic violations, went to USA with no visa system, got US driving licenses, and changed to Japanese licenses.
to prohibit this, 3 month rule was introduced.

by the way, I was a resident for several years in USA. and it was very clear from my passport, they took paperwork with no argument. at that time, no translated document was necessary.

by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread