Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese power sockets 2022/5/25 19:43
Hello, I hope you can help me. I will be moving to Japan soon and I have run into a rather weird issue. I've learned that the place I will be staying at has these, sorry I am not sure of the proper electricity terminology, 2-pole sockets, instead of 3 - with grounding.

I am frome Europe. How am I supposed to charge my devices such as a laptop? This is how my laptop charger cable looks like. Apparently it is something called 'Schuko'' - https://i.imgur.com/tpooyFz.jpg

I have tried researching some information about it online, and apparently there are adapters for 2-pole Japanese socket into 2-pole standard European plug - example: https://i.imgur.com/P8CguY9.jpg

Apparently you can plug this device into a Japanese 2-pole socket and from the other side of it, connect 2-pole European cable and it will be okay. There are also opposites available - adapters suitable for Schuko cable, but not suitable for Japanese 2-pole socket, only Japanese 3-pole socket. Basically there is no way to mix; there are either adapters for 2-pole socket for 2-pole cables, and 3 for 3. Cannot mix.

To put it simply and explain what I mean: I need to be able to plug my ''weird'' laptop charger cable with a ''hole'' in it as pictured above, into a Japanese socket with just 2 poles.

What are my options? Please, it is making me very worried. I will be staying there for a long time so I was thinking about shipping more electronic devices in the future and most of them are the Schuko type. Amazon has these things available which looks like they might turn a 2 pole JP socket into a 3 pole one, to which I could connect an adapter, to which I could maybe connect my Schuko cable. But I don't know anything about electricty and don't want to cause a fire... https://i.imgur.com/BtSTFvE.jpg

Thank you
by Ramia21  

Re: Japanese power sockets 2022/5/26 15:32
The third pole is only an earth.

A 2 pole adaptor is fine.

I have travel all over Japan from Australia using a two pole adaptor. Australia uses 3 poles also.

Also make sure any electrical items you take can run on 100 volts.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese power sockets 2022/5/26 17:10
That is my problem, I would love to use a 2-pole adapter but it does not ''fit'' the type of cable I have. The one I linked above - the ''Schuko'' type. It is too big and does not fit into the other end of the 2 pole adapter.

So I can insert the Japanese 2 pole adapter into a Japanese socket, but my cable does not fit the other end of the adapter so to speak. It's too big. It has some extra hole in it as you can see in the image and I am not quite sure how to handle it.

I have no idea how to handle this or what is the product I should buy. Pretty much all electronic devie charges in my country have this really big cable plugs with 2 poles and that ''hole'' for grounding. It is big.
by Ramia21 rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese power sockets 2022/5/26 18:07
If you are moving to Japan on a long-term basis then you will probably just want to buy replacement cables for many of your devices in Japan rather than messing around with adapters. I don't know if there are solutions for all devices so please research for yourself beforehand, but things like iPhones, Android phones, tablets, every laptop I have ever taken to Japan (both Mac and Windows) have all worked flawlessly with cables bought locally.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese power sockets 2022/5/26 18:09
Use a different adaptor then. Plenty of Europeans have travelled to Japan. This is a non issue.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese power sockets 2022/5/26 20:59
HINT - go to Amazon and type "Universal Travel Adaptor". Choose the one you like and press buy.

I've used a European laptop in Japan with a Universal Adaptor in Japan many times. And yes the European power plug had the large earth - even though it does not have the same in Japan often.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese power sockets 2022/5/26 21:03
Your plug looks like a pretty normal European plug. Just buy an adapter either in EU or in Japan. Note that this seems to be the plug type that is a bit larger. There is an other one with less diameter. What I would do for a computer is buy a new cable from the socket to the small black box that then feeds electricity into your computer.

On another note, you wrote that you plan to ship other electronic devices from Europe to Japan. Many of them will NOT work in Japan. The reason is the difference in voltage.

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2225.html

A computer will work because it has that small black box that anyway changes the electricity somehow (I have no idea why it works, but it does). But for example a hair dryer or a washing machine will not work. It is theoretically possible to buy a converter and make the machines work in Japan. I did that when bringing back my Japanese kotatsu to Europe. But this piece of equipment is expensive and heavy. So not really practical for normal electrical devices.

From experience I can also tell you that lamps wonft work. But that has an easier solution, you just need to buy a new bulb in Japan.

I am sure there is more explanation about this somewhere online, but take it from someone who just relocated for the second time from EU to Japan and needs again to buy all electrical devices.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread