Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Residence card under maiden name? 2022/5/31 15:04
Hello,

I just today realized that I missed reporting the change of my surname to immigration and I have my zairyu card still with my maiden name on.
I renewed my passport (with the name change) last year and obviously missed the 14 days for the name change. I guess back then I thought I can just tell them about the name change when I have to apply my extension/renewal which would be late summer this year.

Should I apply for the extension now with the name change? How should proceed further?
Please don't judge but due to Corona and having a baby aso I really missed it.

Thank you for the help.
by wombat (guest)  

Re: Residence card under maiden name? 2022/5/31 18:33
If there has been a name change, youfd need to report it (regardless of whether that coincides with the card renewal or not). You will receive a new card on the same day if I remember right.
https://www.isa.go.jp/en/applications/procedures/nyuukokukanri10_00009...

You will need the new passport with the new name, a photo, marriage certificate/family register (if your spouse is Japanese), etc. (please read the page describing what you need).

About the delay, all you can do is apologize profusely for forgetting/not finding time for something as important as a name change. Best wishes.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Residence card under maiden name? 2022/6/21 20:54
It's not that I didn't have the time but we were given wrong information and tbh i didn't check afterwards as life was busy with other stuff. It's not like I purposely took time to have issues afterwards.

Tbh i didn't think a lot (after given the information that i can change it with the next visa extension) of it as my passport shows both names now.
by wombat (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Residence card under maiden name? 2022/6/22 10:34
Well, no matter what the reason was, you missed the deadline for a report, so still I would apologize (and I never said that you intentionally left it unattended or anything like thatc) for the delay and get the record straight with them. You just didnft check with the authorities what the procedure was, so never learned the proper procedure.

One question, you said you gchangedh the name, but it is not a formal change but just an addition (like the French gmarried nameh added for reference) to show that the two of you are married? Whether you formally changed the name (then definitely it needs to be reported, as that would be considered something substantial in your ID) or had the gmarried nameh added (I have been told that is not gofficialh change) makes a difference.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Residence card under maiden name? 2022/6/22 14:09
With a username like "wombat", I might assume you are Australian. Under Australian law you do not have to change your name and unless you have officially applied for a formal name change, you don't need to.
It is convention that people can take a new name. As such, there is nothing you necessarily need to report. (Same applies to a lot of other countries too.)
If you did officially and legally change your name (i.e. applied for a change of name with someone like BDM in Aus), then you would need to notify.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Residence card under maiden name? 2022/6/22 20:12
I applied for a name change in Germany to have the same surname as my daughter in order to avoid possible problems (entering/leaving Japan aso) .

The new German passport show both name surname (aka the name of my husband and me now) and name at birth (which would be my maiden name).

Basically you could still figure out it's me if they needed to check my card with my visa.

My husband wrote an apology letter as we didn't check further after receiving the information from the ‹æ–ðŠ that the name change could also be done when i apply for the extension.

Looking back I should've checked but somehow I checked it off mentally after beem told it's dine and at that time I had like two years left. It didn't help that than the pandemic broke out, I had some medical problems, a change of jobs aso aso ...

(not Aussie, just a big wombat fan)
by wombat (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread