Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

How to work for JAL/ANA as a USA citizen? 2022/7/30 03:01
I am a USA citizen, wanting to become a Flight Attendant / Cabin Crew on either JAL or ANA. Does anyone know if this is possible? Fluent in Korean, basic Japanese speaking only
by Jennykim1124  

Re: How to work for JAL/ANA as a USA citizen? 2022/7/30 21:33
Googling "ANA cabin crew careers" yields a few results. You can try ANA's recruitment page too.

As someone who has flown with ANA dozens of times, I would suggest you note that pretty much any flight you get on, a big chunk - and in many cases a huge majority - of passengers are going to be Japanese, and a big chunk (again, maybe a huge majority) of Japanese people are functionally monolingual. If this is a job you really want then a high level of Japanese is going to be required. Basic Japanese isn't going to get you far, unfortunately. Are you already qualified cabin crew? You could always work on your language skills while continuing your current job and apply to a Japanese carrier later.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to work for JAL/ANA as a USA citizen? 2022/7/30 23:10
Wouldn't ANA bring a fluent korean speaker on flights to South Korea?
by sullon rate this post as useful

Re: How to work for JAL/ANA as a USA citizen? 2022/7/31 02:06
Wouldn't ANA bring a fluent korean speaker on flights to South Korea?

I am certain that would help, but one also has to communicate with the rest of the cabin crew and all of the Japanese-speaking passengers. If one's Japanese isn't up to the level needed, there would be major difficulties, especially during emergencies.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: How to work for JAL/ANA as a USA citizen? 2022/7/31 05:44
Any language related to the countries they fly to is a plus, but yeah, pretty much any ANA flight, and certainly every one I've ever flown on, is going to be full of Japanese people who can basically be assumed to be monolingual. A carrier isn't going to want to hire someone who can only work three or four of the dozens or hundreds of routes they fly, and who will only be able to communicate with probably less than half the passengers on those flights. They want someone who can communicate with the majority of their passengers on the majority of their routes. That means a high level of both Japanese and English fluency.

Re: How to work for JAL/ANA as a USA citizen? 2022/7/31 07:55
How long have you worked for airlines in US? How many times have you flown between Japan and South Korea?
If Japanese airlines seek cabin crews who speak Korean, it won't be difficult to find South Korean candidates with higher education in both languages, which is beyond basic skill.
by KyushuLocal rate this post as useful

Re: How to work for JAL/ANA as a USA citizen? 2022/7/31 08:23
I don't think OP is looking specifically to work Japan - SK routes. They only specified that they want to work for JAL or ANA.

Re: How to work for JAL/ANA as a USA citizen? 2022/7/31 09:07
Thank you Liz! Exactly..

If you donft know the answer, please refrain from just discussing or speculating, thank you!
by Jenny Kim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to work for JAL/ANA as a USA citizen? 2022/7/31 12:04
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: How to work for JAL/ANA as a USA citizen? 2022/7/31 14:50
at present, it is very low possibility that they hire new employees, (except for their regular recruiting of freshly graduated students.)
unlike to foreign airline companies, they have not laid off their employees during the pandemic.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to work for JAL/ANA as a USA citizen? 2022/8/1 00:02
Yes, it is possible. The following are the sources of information. Japanese language skills are most likely required.

https://e-sky-ca.com/unclassified/gaikokuseki/
https://www.job-jal.com/work/interview/interview17.html
https://www.anahd.co.jp/group/recruit/ana-recruit/career/ca/qa.html
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: How to work for JAL/ANA as a USA citizen? 2022/8/1 04:52
Ken and Uco, thank you for your helpful responses. Uco, it does seem ANA could be possible! But JAL, it seems cannot, since I am not a citizen of any of their bases. They don't have a base in USA, nor do I want to be based in USA. But your links have been really helpful, they were informations I could not find when researching on the web myself. So thank you again!
by Jennykim1124 rate this post as useful

Re: How to work for JAL/ANA as a USA citizen? 2022/8/1 04:54
Uji, how did you find this post? It was so recent! And I am not sure if they are only intersted in locals, again. But I will try, thank you!
by Jennykim1124 rate this post as useful

Re: How to work for JAL/ANA as a USA citizen? 2022/8/1 08:30
For business reasons I am periodically browsing various airlines' press releases. It is the first time that I have ever seen a Japanese airline publish an English press release about recruiting cabin crew. I am not sure whether they are looking only for residents of Japan or also non-residents, but when I read it, this thread came to my mind.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: How to work for JAL/ANA as a USA citizen? 2023/8/19 14:43
I was a JAL crew based in London for 4 years. I entered the airline during the « good years ». Japanese knowledge was not asked when I took the interview. Being half japanese, I can speak, but in my group I was the only one. We had a 3-month- training. A month in London and 2 in Tokyo. So my colleagues had this whole time to get familiar and learn japanese to be able to get through a air service. Me too actually, as I did not know anything about the airline vocabulary. Of course it was easier for me. But my colleagues were surprised to see how much they knew after the training.
It was an excellent experience, you learn a lot.
by Lily flower (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread