Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

April 2023 itinerary 2022/9/25 16:55
Hi,

I have booked my air tickets for end Mar to beginning Apr in 2023 for holiday in Japan and would be flying in to Osaka and leaving from Tokyo. I would like to explore Shikoku more on this trip and would like to check if the below itinerary makes sense.

Day 1: Arrive at Osaka and take train to Okayama. Explore Korakuen Garden and Okayama Castle
Day 2: Kakuzan Park (for cherry blossom)
Day 3: Travel from Okayama to Takamatsu. Explore Megijima
Day 4: Ogijima
Day 5: Naoshima
Day 6: Travel from Takamatsu to Matsuyama. Explore Matsuyama castle and Matsuyama Central Park
Day 7: Iyo-Ozu
Day 8: Kirosan Observatory Park or Mt Sekizen
Day 9: Travel from Matsuyama to Kobe
Day 10 and 11: Kobe and perhaps Kyoto
Day 12: Kobe to Tokyo

As it is the spring period, I would like to view sakura if possible. Am into nature. Hence, would greatly appreciate any suggestions to the above itinerary. I have been to Matsuyama once and had gone to Dogo onsen previously. Hence, have not included that in my itinerary. I had thought of including Kochi and Tokushima in my itinerary, but it would appear to be too rushed. Would appreciate any advice if I should try to include these two areas in my itinerary. Lastly, from Okayama to Takamatsu, is it viable via train? I managed to search via hyperdia in the past prior to it being offline and it seems to indicate "Marine-Liner 21". From Japan Guide website, it appears to be rapid train.

Thanks very much in advance.
by shuling99  

Re: April 2023 itinerary 2022/9/27 12:53
Hi!

You can go from Okayama to Takamatsu by train.

After Okayama prefecture, Naoshima may be good.

Okayama Station Uno Station Uno Port NaoshimaTakamatsu.

by Tomoko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: April 2023 itinerary 2022/9/27 12:59
Okayama to Takamatsu by train - one service every 30 minutes through the day. Non-reserved is 1,550 yen - you don't really need to book in my experience. There are limited express trains as well.
Try https://japantravel.navitime.com/en/area/jp/route/
I am still learning its quirks.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: April 2023 itinerary 2022/9/27 13:11
Thanks Tomoko and JapanCustomTour for your response.

I will have luggage with me, hence had wanted to do Naoshima as a day trip instead. Would you suggest that I set off from Okayama to Naoshima as a day trip instead?

Do you think Kochi is worth a visit? I wanted to include Kochi initially but was not sure if it would be too rushed.

Thanks for your help!
by shuling99 rate this post as useful

Re: April 2023 itinerary 2022/9/27 13:42
Kochi is very good.
However, it takes time to move.

Planning your trip is difficult without a rental car.

Iyo Ozu is a small town.

It is also far from Kirosan Observation Park to return to Matsuyama.

I'm worried.

Re: April 2023 itinerary 2022/9/27 23:05
Thanks Tomoko! It is worth, I can cut down on the stay in Kobe and stay in Kochi. But if so, in terms of the travel, would it be more convenient to do Takamatsu->kochi-> Matsuyama or Takamatsu ->Matsuyama->Kochi?

Re: April 2023 itinerary 2022/9/27 23:26
Hi Tomoko

Just to add, Ifm open to taking a domestic flight from Matsuyama to Tokyo. But I couldnft seem to find the flight when I searched. I understand Peach airline used to fly this route, but I couldnft find the flight schedule. If there is, I can skip Kobe as I have been there.

Re: April 2023 itinerary 2022/9/28 10:33
Hi shuling99

Peach Airlines does not currently fly to Matsuyama.

It has been suspended since 2020.

You should go to Kochi on Sunday.
Because there is a Sunday market.

Can I go to Kochi on Sunday?
I can then consider the route.

Re: April 2023 itinerary 2022/9/28 14:18
Hi Tomoko,

Yes, Sun is no issue. Based on current itinerary, I will be in Kobe, but more than happy to fly out from Matsuyama to Tokyo straight. So will be able to do Kochi on a Sunday. Thanks so much for your help!

Regards
Shu Ling

Re: April 2023 itinerary 2022/9/29 12:50
Hi Shu Ling,

Kochi and Matsuyama can go either way first.

However, we do not recommend the route on the Kochi side for movement.

The following routes are the fastest.

https://www.google.co.jp/maps/dir/%E6%9D%BE%E5%B1%B1%E9%A7%85%E3%80%81...

How do you get to Kirosan Observation Park?

Re: April 2023 itinerary 2022/9/29 20:50
Hi Tomoko,

I havenft checked on the specific travel even each area. If the park is too difficult to get to by public transport, I will just skip that.

Re: April 2023 itinerary 2022/10/1 18:38
Thanks for all the feedback. It has been very helpful.

I have changed my itinerary to below now:

Day 1: Arrive at Osaka and take train to Okayama. Explore Korakuen Garden and Okayama Castle
Day 2: Kakuzan Park (for cherry blossom)
Day 3: Travel from Okayama to Takamatsu. Explore Megijima
Day 4: Ogijima
Day 5: Naoshima
Day 6: Travel from Takamatsu to Matsuyama. Explore Matsuyama castle and Matsuyama Central Park
Day 7: Matsuyama
Day 8: Kochi
Day 9: Kochi(planning to go Kochi Sunday market)
Day 10: Kochi

Could I check if it is worth staying a night at Tengu Highlands for star gazing? I happened to see Hoshifuru Village Tengu Hotel. Also, is there any place for viewing cherry blossom in Kochi which is easily accessible by public transport. I read Makino Park seems to be accessible. I read about Shimanto River as well, but it seems to be about 2 hours from Kochi via train. Hence, wanted to check if is worth paying a visit. Another place I noted was Cape Muroto for the sunset.

reply to this thread