Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

A single ticket on Shinkansen 2022/10/4 10:44
Hello, I am trying to purchase a single ticket from Shin-Aomori to Nasushiobara. I managed to get into the Japanese website and becomes a member of Ekinet. However, when it comes to payment, they seem not accept credit card issued from foreign. Is that the case?

I also noticed that the ticket cost purchased on a Japanese website is a lot cheaper than the English site as they offered discount, while purchasing through the English site, we need to pay for full fare. And at the same time, tickets need to be purchased separately if there is a transit.

Can you please how I can purchase a ticket from Shin-Aomori to Nasushiobara using a credit card issued outside Japan?

Thank you.
by YY CHOU (guest)  

Re: A single ticket on Shinkansen 2022/10/5 01:03
> However, when it comes to payment, they seem not accept credit card issued from foreign. Is that the case?

Yes, it is very common for online purchases in Japan.
It's because of frequent scams using foreign-issued credit cards, and most credit card companies don't accept objections on entries from Japan.

> Can you please how I can purchase a ticket from Shin-Aomori to Nasushiobara using a credit card issued outside Japan?

Not all foreign-issued credit cards seem to be rejected. Some say they could purchase tickets with foreign cards. Official information doesn't say which card can be accepted and which can't, obviously because such information only nourishes more scams.

If you try with all the cards you have but none is accepted, there wouldn't be a way.
by Tai (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: A single ticket on Shinkansen 2022/10/5 08:12
Why not buy the ticket st the station? (Actually any JR station in Japan)?
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: A single ticket on Shinkansen 2022/10/5 09:30
also noticed that the ticket cost purchased on a Japanese website is a lot cheaper
Are you looking at just the base fare or the seat fee rather than the total? A common mistake. Should be around 14, 960 yen.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: A single ticket on Shinkansen 2022/10/5 12:23
@LikeBike: I'm guessing OP is looking at 1) getting cheaper ticket offered in the Japanese website (vs no discount on English site), and 2) To purchase using credit card instead of cash

I used to purchase my tickets in the office using cash. I'll be travelling with my partner who is not comfortable with carrying a lot of cash, so we also been looking for options to pay with credit card, especially for one-way shinkansen ticket. Not sure if JR office or ticket machine allows payment by card, moreover overseas card.
by Moccy rate this post as useful

Re: Eki-net phishing 2022/10/5 14:10
I managed to get into the Japanese website and becomes a member of Ekinet.

I also noticed that the ticket cost purchased on a Japanese website is a lot cheaper than the English site

Please make sure that the URLs of those websites begin with the string shown below.
https://www.eki-net.com/

Phishing mails pretending to be related to Eki-net have been spreading.
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: types of Shinkansen fees and tickets 2022/10/5 14:13
JapanCustomTours:
Are you looking at just the base fare or the seat fee rather than the total?

Eki-net discounts for the Shinkansen currently reduce both the basic fare and the Shinkansen surcharge.

For you to have a Shinkansen train ride,
usually two types of tickets are issued,
corresponding to the basic fare and to the Shinkansen super-express surcharge.

Re: discount for the Tohoku Shinkansen 2022/10/5 14:54
Are you now in Japan?
As a Temporary Visitor or as a foreign local resident?

I am trying to purchase a single ticket from Shin-Aomori to Nasushiobara

If you have another JR long-distance ride to or from Tohoku Region,
JR East Pass (Tohoku area) is worth considering.

Presumably the English-language website which you mention is this one.
- JR-East Train Reservation
https://www.eki-net.com/en/jreast-train-reservation/Top/Index

This website, which was formerly under a unique domain name,
has nothing to do with Eki-net services provided through the Japanese-language website.

On the Japanese website
: For the Tohoku Shinkansen, you can choose cash payment at a convenience store.
: For the Shinkansen lines,
Eki-net discounts are provided (only) together with Shinkansen E-ticket service.

LikeBike:
Why not buy the ticket st the station?

To buy tickets with Eki-net discount, you cannot choose payment at stations.

[Linking your IC card]

After you complete your reservation with Shinkansen E-ticket service,
you have to link your IC transportation card to your reserved seat.

The designated brands
are the ten brands forming the IC card nationwide compatibility,
such as Suica and PASMO.

(Mobile Suica can work;
currently Mobile PASMO is not designated.)

[Payment]

A possible demerit of choosing non- credit-card payment method is,
you after your payment cannot make a change but for seat relocation.

When you make a reservation,
initially credit-card payment is chosen and the others are hidden;
you open the menu,
then select the second option
for cash payment at a 7-Eleven store,
or the third option
for cash payment at a convenience store of a chain other than 7-Eleven.

Clarification 2022/10/5 15:06
From my response
: Eki-net discounts for the Shinkansen currently reduce both the basic fare and the Shinkansen surcharge.

I should rather say
: Eki-net discounts for the Shinkansen currently reduce the total of the basic fare and the Shinkansen surcharge.

Re: A single ticket on Shinkansen 2022/10/5 15:21
@omotenashi - curious. I logged onto my Ekinet account and ended up with a similar result/price. I will investigate further - I see two discount options for the date I selected, but not something that would particularly discount the trip the OP is looking at.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: A single ticket on Shinkansen 2022/10/6 16:30
Thank you for all the reply.

* Ekinet confirmed me that only Japanese website available, and yes they are doing discount in their Japanese website only with is only $6,000 (comparing to $14,000 in JR East foreign language site) when you purchased online. I am currently not in Japan and wish to purchase online to secure a ticket in Shinkansen.

* The cost mentioned above are for both basic and express fare in total.

* I was told by Ekinet that not all foreign credit cards are accepted eventhough I managed to become a member.

* I am going from Shin-Aomori to Nasushiobara, which means I need to change the train at Sendai station. JR East English website do not offer a ONE ticket, rather, I need to buy two tickets separately.

* Ekinet also mentioned to me that the Japanese website are mainly for local people (who with an address and local credit card) who can benefit discount offer, while the JR foreign website would benefit all foreign travelers with a pass.

I only want a single ticket instead of a pass (minimum 5 days) so I am unable to get the discount offer just as local people, nor having a pass for foreigners.

Thank you.
OP
by YY CHOU (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread