Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan Rail Pass Query 2022/10/8 01:24
Hi
I am planning on visiting Japan in May 2023 with my best friend. Neither of us have travelled to Japan before and would appreciate some advice in respect of the best JR Rail Pass for us please.
We will be there for 8 Days, 7 nights. The plan is to stay 2 nights in Tokyo, then 3 nights in Kyoto and then back for 2 nights in Tokyo. We are thinking of some day trips to Osaka, Hiroshima and maybe Nikko. We will also be travelling in the cities we will be staying so will need something that will enable us to use local trails, monorail.
Is the Japan Rail Pass the best option for us or are there any variations to this rail pass that we need to be aware of?
Thank you,
Sudh
by Sudh (guest)  

Re: Japan Rail Pass Query 2022/10/9 07:58
The JR pass works on JR trains, so not all local trains. For example, there are 43 different rail companies in Tokyo, but JR is the largest network covering around 1/3rd of the stations in the greater metro area (around 840 out of 2,400 stations). For where you are likely to be in Tokyo, it covers many useful lines, but not the subway. For Kyoto, not much use.
As for benefit, if you do a round trip Tokyo to Hiroshima and a trip up to Nikko, it will save you money.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Rail Pass Query 2022/10/10 17:23
Thank you.
by Vasudha rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Rail Pass Query 2022/10/10 18:41
For the local transport I would just buy an IC card that you can upload with money. It doesnft give a discount, but itfs very convenient and essentially you can use it on all trains and busses, except stoke very remote locations, which I donft think you will hit.

The 7 day JR pass will pay off for your very busy itinerary
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Rail Pass Query 2022/10/10 18:50
Thank you very much. I am thinking of getting a Suica card as well.
by Vasudha rate this post as useful

reply to this thread