Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

1st timer to japan, 8 day trip 2022/10/16 10:40
hi friends,
im from malaysia going to japan with my family member for the 1st time, from 9 november till 16 november 2022, starting from haneda airport and end at haneda as well.
1st day will be wasted since arriving late night at haneda, so i was planning to just stay nearby hotel 1st, then the next day will be going towards shinjuku for hakone fuji trip (3 days there).
so after hakone, will be staying around shinjuku, and the 1st thing will be going towards Disney land on the 14 november, the remaining days will just be sight seeing around tokyo.

so far i have been doing research on how to travel around this places. only confusion and help needed now is:
1) how to buy hakone fuji 3 days pass tru online? ( i only managed to find hakone 3 days pass, without fuji) or must i buy the ticket physically at the Odakyu Sightseeing Service Centers at Shinjuku Station?

2) will there a possibility of tickets to hakone fuji pass be sold off or no tickets when i reach the Odakyu Sightseeing Service Centers at Shinjuku Station??

3) for my trip, which is the best transportation card? very confuse on this part, please help.
- passmo? suica? or Tokyo Subway Ticket 3 day pass (1500 yen)?

thank you guys.
by ytlee  

Re: 1st timer to japan, 8 day trip 2022/10/16 20:09
3)
Pasmo and Suica are essentially the same thing. It’s a card you load up with money and can use for nearly all public transport (Shinkansen excluded). So it is very convenient. But it doesn’t give any discount. You can also use it in some shops and at vending machines

The metro 3 day ticket can be a good option or not. It isn’t valid on all kind of trains in Tokyo. Only on the ones that belong to the company “Tokyo metro”. So this means that JR lines(Eg Yamanote line) are excluded. But also other lines such as Yurikamome. So depending on where you go on any day it can be useful or not.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: 1st timer to japan, 8 day trip 2022/10/16 22:38
re: hakone free pass - we had no trouble just buying it in shinjuku station. this was way back in 2017 though. if you get the chance, you may do a quick visit to odawara castle as you need to change trains there (if you’re not going on the romance car). odawara castle is just a few minutes walk from the station.

enjoy the fall colors and hope you get a glimpse of fuji-san!
by andrea (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 1st timer to japan, 8 day trip 2022/10/17 01:29
According to the Odakyu web site, Fuji Hakone Pass can be purchased at Shinjuku Station:
https://www.odakyu.jp/english/passes/fujihakone/

The strange thing is, when you view that page a separate window pops up suggesting it can be purchased as a digital ticket on your smart phone. But when you click that pop up window, it shows 5 kinds of passes that can be bought digitally and none of them is Fuji Hakone Pass. So, looks like you have to buy at Shinjuku Station.

I don't think these discount passes ever sell out. You might encounter a situation where your desired train or bus is fully booked, then you just have to wait for the next train/bus.

by ITO (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 1st timer to japan, 8 day trip 2022/10/18 10:04
Thank you very much guys!

However regarding the passmo or metro ticket again, should I just get them both? Since I will be at Tokyo only for the remaining 3 days.
Location that will roughly be going:
- Shinjuku area
- roppongi area
- Akihabara area
- asakusa
-tsukiji market
- Yokohama area
- imperial castle
- Tokyo sky tower
- Disneyland

Oh yes, another question, I will be coming from Malaysia on the 9 November, so do I still need to register inside the MySoS app? N if yes, how many days before the trip day do I need to get it applied?

Thank you very much again guys!
by Leeyt (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 1st timer to japan, 8 day trip 2022/10/18 10:54
The places you mentioned, except for Yokohama and Disneyland, are serviced by the subways. So, if you are comfortable navigating around using mostly subways, and use Suica (or PASMO) in other areas, then get them both. Since you are a first-timer, most responses would advise to keep things simpler by just getting a Suica (or PASMO).

I personally use both, because I am very familiar with Tokyo subways and use subways whenever I can.

Re: 1st timer to japan, 8 day trip 2022/10/18 10:54
Outside of possibly getting from your hotel to Tokyo Station/the Keiyo line, you're not going to be using the metro to go to Tokyo Disney. Maihama Station (the Keiyo line station for TDR) is a JR Station and so is not covered by the metro. Transport around Tokyo Disney can be done by single tickets or by a pass that is only good for 1 day on TDR transport. https://www.tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/tdr/resortline/fare

I tend to stay on property when going to TDR, so I walk from Maihama to my hotel and then use whatever free transport the hotel provides to the park.

It is possibly to walk from Maihama to Tokyo Disneyland's entrance. I think the walk is much further and less pleasant to Disney Sea. I don't know which park you are visiting, as TDR doesn't allow park hopping on one day tickets.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: 1st timer to japan, 8 day trip 2022/10/18 11:26
passmo suica is like touch n go card .. you can use it for train (, convenience store, some supermarket/dept. store. there are two types for adults and children(1/2fare)

so do I still need to register inside the MySoS app? N if yes, how many days before the trip day do I need to get it applied?
definitely install it since it will make your entry/immigration check faster. just show the screen or the will put you aside and physically check your documents such as vaccine cert etc.
need to get it done at least 6 hours before flight. easier now since you don't need the covid-19 negative cert.

https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/
https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/suica.html

Souvenior Passmo card with sanrio character.
https://www.pasmo.co.jp/visitors/en/buy/
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 1st timer to japan, 8 day trip 2022/10/18 11:45
If you decide to venture by subways:
(1) Here is the map. Thick colored lines are subways, thin and dashed lines are not. https://www.kotsu.metro.tokyo.jp/eng/document/sub_map_eng.pdf

(2) Some smaller subway stations have separate entrances for east bound vs west bound (or north/south) platforms. So, if you want to go west but wound up on the east bound platform, you have to go back to the surface in order to get on the right platform. You won't encounter that problem with the surface trains. Read the signs and be careful.

Re: 1st timer to japan, 8 day trip 2022/10/18 13:07
Hi!

There is no reason to get a Pasmo and Suica. It's just a pre-paid IC Card. If you're coming into Tokyo, and want an IC card you're probably best off getting a Welcome Suica Card because it does not have a deposit on it, you just need to run it completely down before you go. (I misplaced by Suica cards last trip and got one, it was easy to run down.) I used my Welcome Suica card on the subway and I have done so with my regular Suica as well because it's just an IC card. I ended up with a Suica branded card because JR East use to have a special that included one.

Here is info on the Welcome Suica Card:
https://www.jreast.co.jp/multi/en/welcomesuica/welcomesuica.html

In terms of getting a Metro Pass it depends on if you are going to use 1500 yen over 3 day. As long as you are going to be spending enough money to cover the pass, then it makes sense. Of the places you listed, I listed the most expedient station to that location. If a place is not specifically listed as metro, it is not covered by a metro pass.

So going by your place list:
- Shinjuku area (assuming this is where you are staying you are probably walking)
- roppongi area (you are likely to take the metro)
- Akihabara area (JR is most convenient, if you wanted to try to use the metro, you could walk a ways from Suehirocho, I think the walk is totally doable, but that's me.)
- asakusa (Asakusa is on the metro, but you must arrive by the Ginza line for it to be covered)
-tsukiji market (You can get to Toyosu by metro, but you will need to walk 2+ km, the closest station to the current Tsukiji market is via the private Yurikamome.)
- Yokohama area (You will be taking a train.)
- imperial castle (you can walk from Tokyo Station or take a metro and get a little closer.)
- Tokyo sky tower (you must arrive by the Hanzomon line for it be covered by the metro)
- Disneyland (You are not using the metro)

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: 1st timer to japan, 8 day trip 2022/10/18 16:34
Just get the IC card and eliminate thinking, worrying and headaches and simply enjoy your holidays.

On one trip, I had so much money remaining I just went and bought clothing at Uniqlo.
by aa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 1st timer to japan, 8 day trip 2022/10/19 19:18
Thank u very much guys!! Much appreciated! It was very helpful! Thank u :)
by ytlee rate this post as useful

reply to this thread