Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR pass - needed or not? 2022/10/19 03:06
Hi,
It will be my first time in japan and have decided to spend a few nights in tokyo and then to sapporo.

From youtube videos it seems like flying to sapporo will be the fastest and more cost efficient. Is this true?

Also, based on my itinerary, is a JR pass necessary or Suica card is okay? Will Suica card get me a train ride from Narita to tokyo or do I need a different train pass for airport transfer?

Thank you in advance for the help!
by Belle18  

Re: JR pass - needed or not? 2022/10/19 07:11
If not visiting any place between Tokyo and Sapporo, then fly.
Suica card will cover all your needs from the airport to Tokyo, and even in Sapporo.

by kamahen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR pass - needed or not? 2022/10/19 07:27
Suica is a card that you load up with money and then use to ride public transport. (You can also use it in some shops and vending machines). You cannot use it on Shinkansen but nearly all other trains (except in some quite remote locations).

And yes, with your itinerary flying to Sapporo is best. If you then want to travel through Hokkaido by train, have a look if a regional pass exists and would pay off for what you want to do. Otherwise just continue using your Suica (or Pasmo, which is the same thing).
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: your itinerary and questions 2022/10/19 08:02
When will you come?

How does your timeline look like?

kamahen:
> Suica card will cover all your needs from the airport to Tokyo, and even in Sapporo.

Actually,
when you have to pay a surcharge for a faster train service,
basically Suica card cannot be used for that surcharge;
you need a separate ticket for that service.
e.g.
JR Narita Express: Suica Card + Limited Express ticket;
Keisei Skyliner: Suica Card + Skyliner ticket.

For you to travel between NRT and Tokyo by railway,
you can choose a discount ticket.

There are also low-cost bus services to connect NRT and Tokyo.

Have you decided where in Tokyo you will stay?

> From youtube videos it seems like flying to sapporo will be the fastest and more cost efficient. Is this true?

Check the Japan-Guide article featuring discount air tickets.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2364.html

To be precise: you don't get directly to Sapporo, neither by air nor by Shinkansen.

New Chitose Airport [CTS] is located in Chitose City.
Shinkansen currently goes north
to the station near the boundary between Hakodate City and Hokuto City.

You make a transfer there and take a train for Sapporo.
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: JR pass - needed or not? 2022/10/19 13:24
Thank you so much for all your answers!

Amotenashi, my visit will be mid January 2023.
3 nights in tokyo, basically just going around the area and staying near Higashi shinjuku station.
Flying to Hokkaido and staying at Sapporo for 4 nights.

Flying into NRT airport and was looking at taking Narita Express to tokyo station.
by Belle18 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread