Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Trains from Takayama to Tokyo 2022/10/25 03:47
Hello, I have travel planned for March 13-19, 2023. My plan is to get a JR Pass for 7 days. Starting from Narita, then stay one night in Shinjuku then travel to Nagoya, Osaka, Kyoto then finally Takayama.
From Takayama going back to Tokyo airport, is there a train or bus that will take me to Narita airport? I plan to send 3D/2N in Takayama just in case I have to make special travel arrangements go to back to Narita. Thanks :)
by Ninalovestravel (guest)  

Re: Trains from Takayama to Tokyo 2022/10/25 11:51
I would go from Takayama to Kanazawa then shinkansen to tokyo, then train from tokyo to narita.

you can go back to Nagoya, but you've already been through that way and I try not to double back if I can.

you could also bus to Matsumoto (2.5 hours) and take the train from Matsumoto to Tokyo (3 plus hours). If you left early enough you might be able to see Matsumoto castle on the way. But it would be a huge travel day.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Trains from Takayama to Tokyo 2022/10/25 13:16
Sorry I should add that there is apparently a bus that will take you to shinjuku. I dont know much (anything) about it, but see here https://www.nouhibus.co.jp/highwaybus/shinjuku_en/

Re: Trains from Takayama to Tokyo 2022/10/25 15:24
Train to Nagoya or Toyama. Then shinkansen to Tokyo. Usual ways then from Tokyo to Narita.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Trains from Takayama to Tokyo 2022/10/26 02:11
Thanks so much Lazy Pious for the reply/suggestions. I will see if I can go to Matsumoto Castle as my flight on March 19th is at 7:35 pm. If I leave Takayama at 10:00 am I will definitely have some time to see the castle :o)

by Ninalovestravel (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Trains from Takayama to Tokyo 2022/10/26 03:23
Cheers, dont forget time from Tokyo to the airport, and transfers. I reckon you'd have to leave maybe 8ish to do it comfortably - allowing 1.5 - 2 hours for Matsumoto (dont bother with the museum, barely anything was in English last time we went)

Re: Trains from Takayama to Tokyo 2022/10/26 04:06
Sounds good :) thanks for the additional info Lazy Pious and H!

I know its ways away till March 2023 but I'm excited as this is my first time to travel to Japan and I'm a solo traveler as well.

I saw this Matsumoto Castle from one of the vlogs I've been following and I'm hoping he is on this site too! His Youtube channel is called Solo Travel Japan ---- hello :)
by Ninalovestravel (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread