Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Saliva / antigen test 2022/10/28 12:42
Hello everyone,

Is it allowed to enter Japan with a saliva test? Is this what is known as an antigen test? I read all the documents on the MOFA website but they are very technical and I really don't know anything about Covid 19 testing. I would prefer the saliva test over having those large probes inserted in my nose.

Thank you.

KD.
by Kathryn D. (guest)  

Re: Saliva / antigen test 2022/10/28 16:31
I had a NAAT test last month to enter Japan, which was effortless. The staff at the health centre rub the swab in your mouth for a few seconds. So you no longer need to insert a long swab in your nose (not sure in your country, but this was the case in the UK).
Also, if you have at least three vaccines, you don't need to do a test regardless of when you got the jabs.

To enter Japan, you will need one of the following.

PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction)
LAMP (Loop-mediated Isothermal Amplification)
TMA (Transcription Mediated Amplification)
TRC (Transcription Reverse-transcription Concerted reaction)
Smart Amp (Smart Amplification process)
NEAR (Nicking Enzyme Amplification Reaction)
Next Generation Sequence

You will need to book an appointment with your local health centre and do the test within 72 hours before your flight and receive your negative test certificate before your departure. Best to upload your data before you go to Japan to process it smoothly when you arrive.
by Don (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Saliva / antigen test 2022/10/29 00:48
Yes, you may do it. I myself gave such sample (saliva).
https://www.mhlw.go.jp/stf/covid-19/border_test.html
by Alex (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Saliva / antigen test 2022/10/29 05:19
I am curious as to how you aren't familiar with testing when we are nearly 3 years into the pandemic.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Saliva / antigen test 2022/10/29 09:58
Well I only took my first test 2 years and 8 months into the pandemic simply because there was no need for me to do so prior to that. It was also the first time I had heard of a saliva test so it's not unusual to be unfamiliar with testing methods.
by King of the World (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Saliva / antigen test 2022/10/29 13:21
I noticed on the website it says that, "Quantitative Antigen Test (CLEIA/ECLIA)" is acceptable. I believe this can be done at the airport in about 30 minutes. Has anyone used this method?

Thank you.

KD.
by KD (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Saliva / antigen test 2022/10/29 15:39
There is an option to do the test at the airport before the departure (at least in the UK), but you will need to arrive early, so you have time to process the test.
Also, if you want to know the type of test, you will need to find out from the place what test they do, but it's likely to be an expensive option.
by Don (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread