Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

25 Day Itinerary Check 2022/11/5 13:17
Hi everyone,

I am visiting Japan for the first time in December. Super excited! Here's my itinerary -

2022-12-11 Arrival at Narita Airport.

2022-12-12 Explore the neighbourhood of Asakusa, visit Sensoji Temple.
Walk around in Shibuya district. Visit Meiji Jingu shrine in Harajuku.

2022-12-13 Look at high-tech electronics and play in video game parlours at Akihabara.

2022-12-14 Visit Tokyo Tower and Zozoji Temple.
Experience Kabuki Theatre in Ginza.

2022-12-15 Visit Tokyo Skytree and Imperial Palace East Gardens.
Visit Toshogu Shrine.

2022-12-16 Visit teamLab Planets.
Visit Hamarikyu Gardens.

2022-12-17 Rest Day

2022-12-18 Travel to Kyoto by Japan Rail.
Explore Downtown Kyoto and Gion Simbashi.

2022-12-19 Visit Arashiyama Bamboo Grove.
Visit Daitoku-ji Temple and Tenryu-ji Temple

2022-12-20 Visit Fushimi-Inari Shrine.
Go to Kiyomizu-dera Temple and Maruyama-koen Park.

2022-12-21 Explore the quaint villages of Kurama and Kibune.
Visit Ginkaku-ji Temple and Tetsugaku-no-Michi.

2022-12-22 Day trip to Nara.
Visit Nara Park and Todai-ji Temple.

2022-12-23 Rest Day

2022-12-24 Travel to Hiroshima by Japan Rail.
Visit Peace Memorial Museum and Park.
Explore downtown Hiroshima.

2022-12-25 Take a local train to Miyajima.
Visit Itsukushima Shrine.

2022-12-26 Travel to Fukuoka by Japan Rail.
Visit Ohori Park and Tochoji Temple.

2022-12-27 Travel to Osaka by Japan Rail.
Explore Shinsaibashi and Dotonbori.

2022-12-28 Visit Umeda Sky Building – Floating Garden Observatory.
Visit Osaka Aquarium.

2022-12-29 Day Trip to Himeji Castle.

2022-12-30 Back to Tokyo
Rest Day

2022-12-31 Visit Gohyakurakanji Temple and Hie Shrine for New Yearfs Eve.
Head to Tokyo Bay for the scenery.

2023-01-01 Day Trip to Fuji and Hakone Five Lakes area.

2023-01-02 Day trip to Kamakura to see Kotoku-in, Hokokuji Temple and Hase-dera Temple

2023-01-03 Shop for souvenirs in Tokyo

2023-01-04 Shop for souvenirs in Tokyo
Departure from Narita Airport

I want the trip to not be too hectic, but more leisurely. Do you think the above itinerary is feasible? And would you suggest any additions, removals or changes to the above plan?

Thank you very much!
by Nakul  

Re: 25 Day Itinerary Check 2022/11/5 14:26
I think this schedule is feasible.
2022-12-26 Travel to Fukuoka by Japan Rail.
Visit Ohori Park and Tochoji Temple.
¨ I have never been to these two places, but I don't really understand the point of going to Kyushu for these two places.
2023-01-02 Day trip to Kamakura to see Kotoku-in, Hokokuji Temple and Hase-dera Temple¨
Kamakura on January 2nd will be very crowded with Hatsumode customers.
Kamakura is the stage for a historical drama broadcast on NHK TV this year, so next year will likely be even busier than usual.
So, if possible, I recommend going to Kamakura in December.
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: 25 Day Itinerary Check 2022/11/5 14:48
@haro1210 Thank you for your response, that is helpful advice!

I will skip Fukuoka, and try to visit Kamakura in December.

Instead of Fukuoka, is there some place in my itinerary where I can fit a day at a nice onsen? Which place would you recommend? Thank you.
by Nakul rate this post as useful

Re: 25 Day Itinerary Check 2022/11/5 15:16
Hallo Nukul....
I visited Japan 3 times and 2 times I went to Fukuoka, I really like the city, it has great food, the people are happy and friendly....
If you have the JRPass you could go visit, there is not only Ohori Park and Tochoji Temple, there is also one of the biggest statues of Bhudda in Japan, as in Kamakura, it is the NANZOIN TEMPLE, take a look at the links (they are not just about the temple but other things you can do) below and see photos on google, it's not far from the center and by train you can go there and back.
On the 12.12th, I found it a bit rushed, the places are not close to walk in one day and see the details of the places, you could share something with the 14th or 15th.
Enjoy it much...
https://nihonscope.com/spiritual/nanzoin-temple-fukuoka-largest-bronze...
https://tourabsurd.com/fukuoka-japan-nanzoin-temple/
https://trip-s.world/nanzoin-nehanzo
https://www.veltra.com/en/asia/japan/fukuoka/a/161082
by pirataurbano rate this post as useful

Re: 25 Day Itinerary Check 2022/11/5 17:32
Overall I like your itinerary. Not too hectic (as many other itineraries of 1st time visitors).
However you need to do one change:
- Himeiji castle is closed on 29/Dec (and 30/Dec). https://www.city.himeji.lg.jp/castle/category/10-1-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0.htm... (see at the very bottom of that page).
- You can swap with the day in Umeda. The Umeda Sky building doesnt have a closed day.

From about 28 Dec to around 4th of January a lot of things can be closed, INCLUDING restaurants. So if you plan to visit any specific places, check if they are open.

Regarding Fukuoka, my personal favorite there is Dazaifu (which isnt Fukuoka, but close by). There is a magnificent zen garden, a great shrine and a very interesting museum. Here some impression from when I went in 2017:
http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.com/2017/11/day-55-dazaifu-to-fukuo...
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: 25 Day Itinerary Check 2022/11/5 18:54
I wouldnt bother going all the way to Fukuoka if you arent seeing anything else in Kyushu. There are very nice places to see in Kyushu (I really liked Yufuin and quite liked Karatsu and Kurokawa Onsen, Nagasaki was interesting too) and some of them are in Fukuoka but personally I wouldnt go to Fukuoka as a destination. There are plenty of other places in Honshu that I would rate much higher than Fukuoka that are not included in your itinerary, eg Hikone, Takayama, Matsumoto, Kiso Valley, Karuizawa.

If it were me, I would skip the Fukuoka leg and do some more around Nara, Hikone, and Takayama.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 25 Day Itinerary Check 2022/11/5 19:08
I also thought that if you go to Fukuoka, Dazaifu would be better. (I never went there)
When my uncle lived there, I once walked around Kushida Shrine and Nakasu. It was close to the hotel I stayed at.
Fukuoka may be a nice place, but I feel that there are few sightseeing spots that can only be seen here.
For hot springs in the Kansai area, Kinosaki Onsen is probably the best.
(I never went there)
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3525.html
In the Kanto region, Hakone and Kusatsu are famous.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5200.html
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7400.html
Kyushu includes Beppu and Yufuin in Oita prefecture.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4700.html
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4750.html
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: 25 Day Itinerary Check 2022/11/5 20:53
"If it were me, I would skip the Fukuoka leg and do some more around Nara, Hikone, and Takayama."

Agree with this whole heartedly,

I've been to Fukuoka and I wouldn't suggest it would merit being on even the first two (or three) months of travel time in Japan.

Also consider Okayama area, or scoot over to Matsue area.
by kcabmi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 25 Day Itinerary Check 2022/11/6 00:46
I went to Fukuoka just to go to Ohori Park. It was in late March, and their sakura was peaking much faster than Kansai's. It was not my first trip to Japan and I was trying to get in what sakura viewing I could during said trip. Fukuoka is a super friendly and nice city and Ohori Park is a great sakura viewing location.

Personally, I would probably add in Okayama though instead of Fukuoka. It's in the same general area you will be, if you want to try something a little further afield, go to Takamatsu, I'm sure even in Winter the garden is great. I've been to the big 3, but I prefer Ritsurin unless you are catching Kairakuen during ume. My daughter has been to Kairakuen during ume and Kenrokuen (in Kanazawa) and preferred Ritsurin. Also make sure to see the garden when you are in Himeji.

The one criticism I might give is, Fuji Five Lake and Hakone can be a super long and rushed day. Generally, people do either in a day, not both. I would also just check on operations and openings and closings, since you have it on 1/1

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: 25 Day Itinerary Check 2022/11/6 04:16
It looks as though you have really planned for your first trip.

I don't know your travelling speed, but some days might be a bit slow if you are only visiting 2 sites in a day.

New Year's is a big thing in Japan. I would stay clear away from major shrines and temples on the night before unless you like huge crowds of people lining up for offerings.

I've often stayed in secondary cities and tried to onsen that day on some occasions.

Tokai Inns are a chain onsen resort which normally includes reasonable onsen facilities and food for a reasonable price. I think there are some on Mie prefecture from memory

I also agree that Hakone and FFL is way too much for a day trip. Why not stay at an onsen hotel overnight here? FFL is probably going to be the cheaper of the two.

Another suggestion I give is to come up with a few extra days of plans in case the weather changes, you have more time or want to change things up a bit.

For the Osaka/Kyoto area, it's also possible to stay in the one place and travel as they are close to one another. Not moving luggage also helps as well.

For something different, Shiga prefecture is really cool and a close day trip from Kyoto. I liked the oddity of Nagahama which at the time had a good value combo ticket for 1000 yen. Not sure if it's still available. To see more info on that, click on my name and search for Nagahama the page. I'm on my phone thus o can't easily post links at the moment.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: 25 Day Itinerary Check 2022/11/11 03:09
I'll throw in a wild card suggestion if you don't mind...

You've got a lot of city time, and you're planning on going back to Tokyo for New Yr's Eve (super-busy on the trains, and super-busy NYE). If you wanted to balance that with something less-travelled, and to visit a famous bath house into the bargain, you could do worse than:

- Miyajima, and then on same day take a ferry to Matsuyama across the Seto Sea
- Dogo Onsen visit, then spend a few days on Shikoku (Takayama has a lovely garden; you could go to the Iya Valley and do the cable-car onsen; go to Imabari and buy the best towels in the world; do some of the pilgrimage routes, etc.) and I bet you could find plenty of small but atmospheric places to celebrate NYE on Shikoku
- come back via Okayama (awesome garden), maybe taking an overnight in Kurashiki, or even possibly come back via Naoshima by ferry from Takamatsu and then on to Okayama where you can rejoin the shinkansen line for onward travel.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

reply to this thread