Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Sending luggage and delivery times 2022/11/8 07:27
Hi everyone

I am visiting Japan for the first time in December and have heard about the hands free option to send suitcases rather than struggling with it on public transport. Can I please ask your advice.

I arrive in Haneda about 2.30pm and will be in Tokyo 2 days, then Osaka for 4 days and back to Tokyo for 3 days.

I was thinking of the following plan but am worried how long it may take for my bag to be delivered

1. Arrive Friday at Haenda and send suitcase to my Tokyo hotel using the delivery service

2. Organise for my bag to be sent to Osaka on Saturday as my train departs Sunday morning

3. Organise my bag to be sent to Tokyo on Wedneaday as my train back to Tokyo is on Thursday

4. Organise my bag to be sent to Haneda Airport on Saturday as my flight is late on Sunday

I did also think about getting my suitcase sent directly to Osaka from when I arrive at Haneda but then 1.5 days without a suitcase (although could use a small bag to tide me over)

Thank you in advance
by humanoid (guest)  

Re: Sending luggage and delivery times 2022/11/8 11:49
It is usually next-day delivery (for the routes you mention), except gtoh the airport; just to be safe, they ask that you send it out 2 days in advance. And when I say gnext-day,h you need to bring in your luggage/parcel to the delivery service counter before that counterfs cut-off time for that day, which can vary but sometime around 3 – 4 pm (in my neighborhood at least).

If I were you, though, I would not want to travel with that much luggage that I cannot carry them around myselfc I suggest packing as light as you can. And for something like 1, I would simply take it with me. Traveling on trains to/from the airport or on JR Shinkansen between Tokyo and Osaka with luggage is no big deal, UNLESS you have huge luggage.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Sending luggage and delivery times 2022/11/8 14:10
While I like TaQBin and use it, for your itinerary unless (!) you have (1) mobility issues or (2) travel with kids or (3) have a very big suitcase or (4) your hotels in Tokyo / Osaka are very far from subway/train station I would NOT ship my luggage. The delivery is next day and 2 days for airport. Your trip isnft long enough to send around that much.

Pack light, use the washing machine / dryer (check if your hotel has one), potentially you can leave part of your luggage in Tokyo in your hotel until you return a few days later, count a bit of extra time for each train transfer (which you should do anyway asGoogle maps seem to think that we are all Usain Bolt.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Sending luggage and delivery times 2022/11/8 14:27
Thanks for the replies

I should mention I am planning on packing an additional bag in my suitcase as I am hoping to purchase items during my travel, so will have 1 large suitcase, 1 large softbag and a smaller carry in bag with wheels.

I think for the first half of my journey maybe just my suitcase and carry on will be fine to travel with, but maybe pack my larger suitcase to send from Osaka to Tokyo and then from Tokyo (Shinjuku)to Haneda may work?

I didn't realise it is 2 days to send a bag to the airport.
by humano8d (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sending luggage and delivery times 2022/11/8 20:46
I am hoping to purchase items during my travel, so will have 1 large suitcase, 1 large softbag and a smaller carry in bag with wheels.

Thank you for purchasing a lot of Japanese products :)

I think for the first half of my journey maybe just my suitcase and carry on will be fine to travel with, but maybe pack my larger suitcase to send from Osaka to Tokyo and then from Tokyo (Shinjuku)to Haneda may work?

Yes, your plan will work fine. You can carry "carry-on size" suitcase and bag into commuter trains/subways. Just put them on the overhead luggage rack if the seats are full. Upon your schedule you will not hit our notorious "rush hour".
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Sending luggage and delivery times 2022/11/9 01:02
Hi!

I like to shop too, so I get that.

Have you thought about: sending your large bag from Haneda directly to Osaka and then from Osaka back to Tokyo and then just taking it on transport to Haneda? That's probably what I would do in your situation. I would also stay somewhere with fewer transfers between my hotel and Haneda or transfers at larger more spacious stations like JR Shinagawa.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

reply to this thread