Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

About 3 month rule drive in japan 2022/11/8 13:57
Last weekend, i drive a rental car..while driving at the road on the orange lane.. i make a mistake by changing lane and get stopped by a patrol car. Due to this, they check my my international license which i already violate the 3 month rule drive in japan.. i am really do not know this rule.however i did mention to the rental car also confirm the validity if the licnese..they also make a copy for my passport and international license. I have been in japan almost 3 years.. i would like to know what will happen to me and my family here? After this incident, i am always crying.. i am stuck.. this is my first interrogation with police.. am i go to the prison? Does this incident affect my residency living in japan? Anyone please help me
by Zack (guest)  

Re: About 3 month rule drive in japan 2022/11/8 17:35
First of you cannot drive a car with international license if you are a resident in Japan.
international license can only be used when you are on a short-term visa.

by frcs (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: About 3 month rule drive in japan 2022/11/8 19:31
Sounds sus?

Why carry around a passport when you are a resident. Wouldn't you just carry your resident card? Why risk loosing your passport? Unless you knew a resident card and international driver's permit would raise questions.

Anyway. You have 12 months to convert from international permit to Japanese license when you first arrived. Very surprised you weren't made aware of this. It comes in the info pack new residents get on arrival.

As for consequences, a fine and no more driving until you get a license.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: About 3 month rule drive in japan 2022/11/9 08:03
Not knowing is not an excuse. Use of an IDP is limited to one year, after that you need a Japan license.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread