Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Baby stuff in Japan 2022/11/9 01:04
I would like to know where we can buy diapers and baby food? We gonna travel with our 8 months old baby. We will do Tokyo, Kyoto, Hiroshima and Kanazawa.

Thank you :)
by Jenny-Lee (guest)  

Re: Baby stuff in Japan 2022/11/9 07:23
Combini stores eg 7-11 Lawson etc etc.
Babies r us
Toys r us
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Baby stuff in Japan 2022/11/9 08:05
Drug stores.
Japanese habe babies too and use diapers and baby food.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Baby stuff in Japan 2022/11/9 13:05
Super :)

Thatfs what I thought, but i read from a mom on a Japan traveller facebook page that it was difficulte to find baby stuff.

Thanks again
by Jenny-Lee (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Baby stuff in Japan 2022/11/9 13:44
It's only difficult if you expect to find the same shops and products that is USA has.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Baby stuff in Japan 2022/11/9 20:24
Thatfs what I thought, but i read from a mom on a Japan traveller facebook page that it was difficulte to find baby stuff.

Where tourists stay, there tend to be tourist stuff. But if you travel a little bit toward residential areas, you'll find plenty of drug stores, malls and shopping arcades that sell daily products including baby stuff.

In other words, most tourists around the world only walk around their hotels and other famous spots, and think that things are expensive, scarce and clean.

But residents don't buy daily products at convenience stores or department stores or the expensive supermarkets. We buy them at the cheap supermarkets and pop and mom stores, where everything is abundant although you have the risk to see more dog shit on the streets.

So, for example, in Tokyo, you may want to travel outside the Yamanote Line if you need to buy cheaper daily products.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Baby stuff in Japan 2022/11/9 23:31
There are Toys R Us with baby products even where tourists stay. I wasn't specifically looking for baby products but I am 99% sure I saw them while looking for regular toys.

There is a huge Toys R Us right near Kyoto Station and a big one on one of the lower floors of the Sunshine 60 Shopping Center in Ikebukuro. Both are quite easy to find.

I think it's more if you must have specific brands, you might not find those in Japan. And I get it, people get provincial about brands.

by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Baby stuff in Japan 2022/11/10 00:23
probably you may only buy one or two packs at one time, because it is bulky. drug stores are widely distributed and they sell diaper most commonly. they sell bottled baby foods and baby milk, too. their store numbers are probably 100 fold or more than that of toysRus.
probably, you can enjoy how different in baby stuff between your country and Japan.
also, a lot of difference in shampoo and cosmetics, etc.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Baby stuff in Japan 2022/11/10 01:01
This blog/guide seems to be a decent one regarding diapers:
https://sightseeandsushi.com/baby-diapers-in-japan-guide/

As the author points out, combini are not the place to look for diapers. The blog seems to do a decent run down of sizing and what various brands are known for in Japan.
by rkold rate this post as useful

reply to this thread