Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

From New Chitose to Kansai or Itami 2022/11/9 20:02
Hello
I need advice on domestic flights from Hokkaido to western Honshu.
May I ask if it is cheaper to take a domestic flight from New Chitose to Kansai or Itami?
From Kansai or Itami Airport, I will use my JR pass to travel to Shin-Osaka.
Thank you.
by LIM LM (guest)  

Re: From New Chitose to Kansai or Itami 2022/11/10 08:12
It depends on the date of travel. But generally speaking, you are likely to find the cheaper fares on the KIX route because it is served by low-cost carriers such as Peach and Jetstar, while the Itami route is served only by regular airlines.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: From New Chitose to Kansai or Itami 2022/11/10 09:57
Thank you for your reply.
My date of travel from New Chitose Airport to Kansai or Itami Airport will be on 31 Mar 2023.

My itinerary:
Landed at Narita on 25 Mar 2023 and will take shinkansen north to Hakodate.
I will spend a few days at Hakodate and Sapporo before going to Hiroshima, Osaka, Kyoto and finally Tokyo.
To save the travelling time on shinkansen, I am exploring the domestic flight from New Chitose to Kansai and use Shin-Osaka as my base to make a day trip to Hiroshima, Osaka and Kyoto.

Thank you.
by LIM LM (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: From New Chitose to Kansai or Itami 2022/11/10 10:44
If departing from Sapporo, Okayama airport is more convenient than CTS. Unfortunately it doesnft go to Osaka.

Itami is better and easily accessible than KIX which to me, is a very inconvenient airport & I avoid at all cost. But thatfs me.

If you add the extra travel cost & time from KIX, it may even up the fares to Itami.

by aa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: From New Chitose to Kansai or Itami 2022/11/10 10:48
I will stay at Shin-Osaka.

There seems no JR services from Itami Airport to Shin-Osaka.

Hence I may be left with Kansai Airport.

Thank you.

Re: From New Chitose to Kansai or Itami 2022/11/10 11:08
itfs not a great place to use Shin Osaka as yr base - itfs convenient to the Shinkansen thatfs about it.

Have a look at Kobe as an alternative.
Shin Kobe-Himeji is 27 mins on the Shinkansen.
Shin-Kobe to the city centre eg Sannomiya is only 2 subway stops.
Kobe - Kyoto 56 min using local trains.

You might find Kobe to be a more user friendly city than Shin Osaka. Perhaps even cheaper? You shouldnft simply rely on the JR Pass or let it dictate how you travel or stay . If you do so, you eliminate possibilities & perhaps even saving money. The JR Pass is expensive & unless you know it pays off by doing long distances, be open in your mind to suggestions.

Have you calculated the cost using the app?

Scroll down & download the app called JAPAN TRAVEL GUIDE FOR TOURISTS
https://www.japan.travel/en/plan/useful-apps/

https://world.jorudan.co.jp/mln/en/?c=10&sub_lang=nosub

Kobe
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2159.html

Re: From New Chitose to Kansai or Itami 2022/11/10 11:20
Thanks aa for replying.

Yes, the convenience of hopping onto the shinkansen at Shin-Osaka comes with a price ie more expensive for accommodation.

As I plan to make day trips to Hiroshima, Arashiyama in Kyoto, Himeiji & Maiko Marine, the 4N accommodation (3 adults in a room) at Shin-Osaka costs 48600 JPY.

Re: From New Chitose to Kansai or Itami 2022/11/10 12:25
Shin Osaka is the most boring of boring places. I have stayed there for weeks during business trips and donft wish it on anyone. Close to Kyoto station or as PP suggested Shin Kobe would be a much nicer experience in my eyes.
Also consider that for some travel non JR will be more convenient. Only because there is no JR line between Itami and Shin Osaka doesnft mean you must fly to KIX. The train ride from Itami to Shin Osaka isnft that expensive.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: From New Chitose to Kansai or Itami 2022/11/10 13:13
@likebike,
it feels like wasting time & effort trying to help posters from making terrible mistakes as they feel so embedded & so convinced the JR Pass is the ultimate saviour, when itfs not. Itfs such a shame when possibilities & suggestions are not taken up.

I feel great sadness when I read so many posters here & on TA , all obsessed with buying the pass when advised it doesnft pay. Most have no idea that itfs expensive- money that can be spent on better food, accommodation, souvenirsc..

if only they do a check on travel costs, theyfd find local fares ( non Shinkansen) ,subways, buses are quite cheap.
I canft imagine how a 7 day pass would pay off when it cost just over 3000\ Shin Kobe-Himeji, & Kobe-Kyoto costing 1,100\.
Anyway, we tried.

PS apart from being boring, itfll be hard finding places to eat in Shin Osaka and having to walk great distances each day to catch the train to do day trips.

Re: From New Chitose to Kansai or Itami 2022/11/10 13:15
@ LIM

Check and book early for low fares with: https://booking.flypeach.com/en/flight_search
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: From New Chitose to Kansai or Itami 2022/11/10 13:47

I need advice on domestic flights from Hokkaido to western Honshu.
I flew with Peach Air in the past, and found their special were unbelievably low.
Be sure to book early.
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: From New Chitose to Kansai or Itami 2022/11/10 19:47
Thank you for all the comments and replies.

Re: From New Chitose to Kansai or Itami 2022/11/11 17:30
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread