Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to end my Kumano Kodo trip (May 2023) 2022/11/21 13:35
Hello all,

Wanted to get some advice on my planned Kumano Kodo trip.

As much as I would love to walk the entire Nakahechi route, with the timing I have I have opted for the following plan (see below).

My main question revolves around how to wrap up the trip and get back to Kyoto in good time to check in to the airbnb I have reserved there.

Of course if a major error is spotted anywhere else, please feel free to advise.

Many thanks for any input!

16th May - Travel to Tanabe from Tokyo - Shinkansen to Osaka and Kuroshio Express to Kii-Tanabe and get to guesthouse (7-8 hours total)

KUMANO KODO WALKING DAYS

17th May - Start - Tanabe to Tajikiri and walk Tajikiri to Takahara route

Overnight stay

18th May - Takahara - Tsugizakura-oji

Overnight stay

19th May - Walk to Kumano Hongu Taisha

Overnight stay

20th May - Bus transfer to Ukegawa, then walk Ukegawa to Koguchi

Overnight stay

WRAPPING UP THE TRIP

This is where I need the most help. I have found in my research that I would LOVE to see the scenery on the Ukegawa to Koguchi walking route so I really do wish to keep the above plan set.

On the final day I want to see if it's physically possible to be up early and use various modes of transport (and ditch the walking) to see the last two shrines and get BACK to Kyoto...

21st May - Get a bus or some kind of transport to the start of the boat ride to go down the river to Kumano Hayatama Taisha (90mins on boat) - explore the shrine (needs some time) - then bus to Kumano Nachi Taisha (1hr bus) - explore the shrine (needs some time) -

Nachi to Kyoto - 5-6 hours approx journey

my gut is saying its a bit too much on the 21st, but I have no problem being on the move for the entire day as long as it's not complete insanity :)

All advice welcome, thanks.
by umjammerleilani  

reply to this thread