Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Want to leave Japan after arriving 2022/11/30 12:02
Hey everybody, just looking for some advice here. I applied for some english teaching positions a couple months ago, and was very happy when I got hired and chose a company. I have family here in Japan and was so excited to meet them. In the last few weeks, I have gone from incredibly excited to experiencing overwhelming feelings of dread. I have just gone through a very traumatic and depressing issue back at home. I accepted the english teaching position before this event happened to me. Because of my worsening mental health, I had wanted to cancel my move to Japan before I had even gone, but reluctantly, I flew in yesterday and am here now. I havenft even started my job, and I already can feel that there was no way that I was mentally prepared to make this change. I feel like I need to go back home and work on myself before I consider anything like this, and I truly regret not listening to my intuition beforehand. Ifm supposed to be here for a year, yet its been a day and I already feel like I need to go back. Ifm not looking for sympathy, just advice on how I can go back home simply. I havenft registered with the bank or health insurance or anything big like that yet, I only have my resident card, so I want to know what I need to do to go back. Money is not an issue for me either. I havenft signed a contract with my job either, was supposed to start next Monday. I just really need to get home and go to therapy.
by wsak13  

Re: Want to leave Japan after arriving 2022/11/30 18:23
Buy a plane ticket. Get on plane. Simple.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Want to leave Japan after arriving 2022/11/30 19:01
Sorry to hear about your health.
As a courtesy, I suggest you meet with the school & explain the situation & your desire to return home.
When recovered & if you wish to reapply, youfre at least in their good books.
I wish you well.
by aa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Want to leave Japan after arriving 2022/11/30 19:25
Sorry to hear things had to happen to you the way they did.
If you want to leave, yes, I agree with the above poster, go talk to the school/employer once, tell them your situation, and make arrangements and leave.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Want to leave Japan after arriving 2022/12/1 01:07
As you got your residence card youfll need to give that back when leaving. If you already registered at the municipality , deregister.

And yes, speak to the school to explain.

If youfve got an apartment or anything else youfll obviously need to cancel that contract too.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Want to leave Japan after arriving 2022/12/1 17:27
I don't know your situation exactly, (I can only assess based on the information you provided, obviously) but why not give it a try by staying for a few more weeks, to see if you feel any better? If you live in a big city, I'm sure there are local support groups specifically geared towards foreigners and expats.
by Christian Hirose Romeo Graham rate this post as useful

reply to this thread