Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Upgrade JR Pass to Green? 2022/12/3 02:07
We are traveling to Japan on Dec 30 - Jan 6. we have children with us. Is it worth it to get the Green (1st Class) JR Pass instead of just the ordinary one?
by beckyru (guest)  

Re: Upgrade JR Pass to Green? 2022/12/3 14:44
Green cars tend to be less crowded, so on times when there are a lot of people traveling, you are less likely miss a train, because the regular seats are all booked.

You are texting about a heavy travel time, because many places will have school and business holidays.

If you are arriving in Japan before your pass will be active, you can exchange, and then book your tickets early enough to prevent missing seats on a train.

Another reason for getting the green pass is to ride in the first car of a Wide View Limited Express trains. These trains have a small engineerfs section in the front, with a glass partition separating that compartment from the Green Seats. This means you will see out the front of the train, as it winds along its journey. You will want seats 1-C and 1-D, because the engineer stands on the left side, in front of seats 1-A and 1-B.

My favorite journeys are from Osaka to KiiKatsuura on the Ocean Arrow, and from Okayama to Shikoku Island over the Seto Inland Sea. I have been told that both Limited Express from Nagoya and Kyoto going to Takayama are also Wide View Limited Express trains.

If you are I interested in this experience, try searching for the video gCrossing the Japanese Alps on a Wintery Stormy Dayh, or gWide View Express Train Nankih to give you a feel for the view.

Good Luck, in planning your vacation.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Upgrade JR Pass to Green? 2022/12/3 18:47
Yes the green car in the wideview Hida is really nice, that would be one of the journeys I'd want the green car for sure. Matsumoto to Nagano is also a nice trip- if you are up the front. I'm no train spotter, but it is quite interesting watching the driver, they are always doing something.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Upgrade JR Pass to Green? 2022/12/4 01:39
After watching the engineers drive the train, I would never want to have that job. I think there is a black box recording them going through every movement they do. They are constantly pointing at every sign and light in the trip, as well as pointing to their speedometer to confirm their speed, when those signs appear. You do feel safer watching them going through their anal retentive behavior.

The trip from Osaka to Kii-Katsuura goes through many tunnels, followed by popping out along an ocean bay down the coast of the Kii peninsula. Throughout the trip, parents with regular tickets would bring their kids into the Green car to look out the front of the train. I got into the habit of buying a bag of wrapped candy, such as Hi-Chews, to hand to the parents to give to their children. They always left with smiles.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Upgrade JR Pass to Green? 2022/12/4 07:53
That all depends on how you prioritize comfort over cost and luxury over logic. I suppose it's worth it for some, but for me personally, I'd be content with any ordinary bullet train seat.
by Christian Hirose Romeo Graham rate this post as useful

Re: Upgrade JR Pass to Green? 2022/12/4 08:13
Ultimately that is a question only you can answer according to your own comfort level. But in traveling in Japan for 4 decades and taking the bullet trains countless times, I am satisfied with the ordinary seats and have never met anyone who was complaining about them.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Upgrade JR Pass to Green? 2022/12/4 08:48
Train travel in Japan is vastly different to many countries whereby itfs seen as a last resort (except Europe). A very unfortunate perception in trying to retranslate that experience into Japan train travel.

Ifve never seen it necessary to buy green seats. The ordinary seats / class are more than adequate in all my years of travel in Japan. The seats are comfortable, clean and safe (unlike some countries).

Ifm also noticing right now, the eurge,frenzyf to pay more for online JR Passes just for the sake of making reservations & fear of missing out. Unless one is travelling during peak or public holidays or travelling in very large groups, trains are frequent. If you miss one at 08:02, catch the next one at 08:32 or later!

Anyway, itfs your personal choice. Ifm sure JR will be very happy to see upgrades as they are in seeing people willing to pay more for online vouchers.
by aa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Upgrade JR Pass to Green? 2022/12/4 09:04
@ebaychucky311 - You do feel safer watching them going through their anal retentive behavior.
It is not just drivers, but most rail staff, and there is an important reason for it - it reduces mistakes by forming a kinetic (movement) link to the visual one. It is an idea borrowed from military operations - read about it years ago.

As for upgrade from ordinary to green - it costs more, but unless you are doing a ton of travel, probably not worth it. If the trains are full, you will find green class as full as the ordinary cars (and standing room in non-reserved). Make sure the rail pass actually saves you money, and if only a little, consider not getting one as you have a few extra trains to use.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread