Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Should I get a JR Rail Pass? 2022/12/9 07:22
Me and my friends are going to Japan for just under two weeks in April 2023. We're starting in Tokyo, and we would like to go to Osaka, Kyoto and then back to Tokyo. There will also be quite a few train/bus journeys whilst in each city. Would be using the Hikari shinkansen to go from Tokyo to Osaka and vice versa.

We were thinking about getting a JR Rail Pass as we thought it would be more cost effective. But is it actually worth it to get a 14 Day JR Rail Pass?

Thank you
by AJ (guest)  

Re: Should I get a JR Rail Pass? 2022/12/9 16:35
14 day pass - no
7 day pass - maybe depending on more travels than just kyoto
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Should I get a JR Rail Pass? 2022/12/9 18:52
Hmm, depends on your plan.

JRP is only available on JR (Japan's largest railroad company) trains and buses.
There are several non-JR railroad and bus companies in those three cities.

Incidentally, Japan has the largest number of railroad companies in the world, abt 190 not including freight companies.
Tokyo has the largest number of 30 companies, so idk not all of them can or cannot be covered by JR lines alone.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_in_Greater_Tokyo

Calculating fares without discounts may be troublesome, but refer to this thread.
https://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+175446

It can be done in "Google Maps" if only within a city, not between cities taking shinkansen trains.

You might also consider changing the other airports from which you leave Japan.
Kansai Airport(KIX Osaka, 24hrs open AP), for example.
by Alice Cartelet (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Should I get a JR Rail Pass? 2022/12/9 20:57
A round course trip between Tokyo - Kyoto/Osaka will cost roughly the same as purchasing a 7 Day JR Pass.
So, if you leave Tokyo (for Kyoto/Osaka) on the 1st day of the pass' validity and return to Tokyo on the 7th Day, then the pass will cover the round trip.
You can also further maximise the pass whilst you are in the Kyoto/Osaka area. The pass can be used on the JR lines that connects Kyoto with Uji city, Arashiyama, JR lines between Kyoto & Osaka, the JR loop line within Osaka and also day trips to nearby places such as Nara, Kobe, Himeji, Omi Hachiman, Hikone, Asuka and Sakurai.

by Kari Haruka rate this post as useful

Re: Should I get a JR Rail Pass? 2023/2/15 06:58
Thank you, really helped! ^_^
by AJ (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread