Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

International Flight with ANA - Baggage Size 2022/12/10 15:36
Hi everyone,
I was gifted a luggage set as I will be going to Japan next spring from family. I booked my flight with ANA and will be flying from Houston, Texas to the Narita airport (and then flying from Oita>Haneda back).
The checked baggage information page on my reservation shows my luggage cannot exceed 158cm (62in) in combined measurements....but my luggage dimensions are 158.80cm (62.52in)!!

This is driving me crazyyy will they let me fly without trouble (such as charging me extra at the airport...) due to this minor oversize? I wanted to contact ANA customer support - I didn't find a phone number to call and I also think they will just recite their policy of 158cm being the limit to me... I'm hoping to find reassurance.

Also, I was unable to find any information regarding a "personal item" in my reservation info. Is this allowed? My reservation only shows 2 checked bag, and 1 carry on allowed. A personal item would be a small backpack in addition to carry on and checked bags.

Thank you so much for reading this and any insight!!!
by sakuaya  

Re: International Flight with ANA - Baggage Size 2022/12/10 19:57
I would not bother about your additional 0,80cm. They are most likely not gonna measure your luggage at all. Not if they consider it to be way too large anyway. And even if.... there is a margin regarding the weight, so really, that should not cause problems.
(And I am someone who takes into consideration every aspect of what might go wrong, so that means something ;)

Also, a personal item should also be no problem. Even if it is not on your baggage-allowance overview. I have been on many long distance flights, and never has any passenger been addressed regarding excessive on-board luggage if it was just some bags, small items, shopping-bags etc. However, a backpack might rise suspicions. Just make it a small handbag or something like that or even put it in a paper-bag.
My wife always has a medium-sized backpack and her normal hand-bag and sometimes shopping bags with her, no problems ever. Same with me carrying a backpack and shopping bags.
There is a lot of luggage space in wide-body aircraft.

But, you have 2 items of checked luggage anyway, so will you need two additional items inside the cabin? Remember, you will need to carry it with you all the time. So I would go for packing light ;)

To sum it up: You really should be fine, IMO
by DrRodriges rate this post as useful

Re: International Flight with ANA - Baggage Size 2022/12/11 03:24
Going strictly by the book, could they? Yes...but very unlikely. Generally the airport staff are fairly accommodating, and for just half an inch (and there is an extremely small chance they'd even notice) you should be fine. I have taken a bag that was just a tad overweight and it was no issue. Something well over the limit is a different story though.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: International Flight with ANA - Baggage Size 2022/12/11 08:15
That is a huge bag if 2x edges/side surpasses 158cm.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread