Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Seeking advice on multiple travel Qs New Year 2022/12/11 12:55
Hi everyone, I am a complete newbie visitor to Japan and have been overwhelmed pretty much by everything as there are so much information....

I am so glad to find this forum, and would be most grateful if everyone could share your thoughts and shed some lights on the various type of questions I have please... anything is appreciated

1. As many have also asked, I am not sure what is the best travel pass to get for travelling with my partner.
Our journey will be
7 days in Tokyo/Yokohama
3 days in Osaka
5 days in Kyoto/Nara (but have to go to Sakai as well for an appointment)
3 days in Fujikawaguchiko
3 days in Tokyo before departure at Haneda airport.

I would be most appreciated if anyone could advise me....

i) which pass do I better get?
ii) for how many days?
iii) and from when to when (if applicable)

2. As I have multiple travels with Shinkansen, I am wondering if I have to booked for the exact time and date for each trip? I do worry about missing or spend too long waiting for trains at places I am not familiar with, especially when travelling around

3. Is it easier just to rent a car? though I heard parking is hard and expensive...

4. For travelling in Tokyo using the underground Fujikawaguchiko.
Is there something like a 7 day travel pass or anything I can get to use all metros without stopping and buying them everyday?
In the UK we have an Oyster card, you top up some money and just scan them at the station whenever you use it without stopping, is PASMO something similar that I should get?

3. Is it enough to have just a data sim card? Should I get a card with local phone number?

4. I understand many places will be closed for new year's eve and new years day but they don't seem to announce on their website.

I am planning on going on 31 December to:
Kappabashi Dougu Street/Akihabara
Sensoji Temple at mid-night (my hotel is within walking distance)

Then 1st January to:
Meiji Jingu and Shibuya

Does my plan below sounds realistic? will they be open (mostly)? are they big enough to spend a whole day? morning to night?

Or could anyone give me any suggestions on where else to go? my knowledge is very limited to the generic 'top destination' list ...

5. And Tokyo Skytree seems to be closed from 19th December as I couldn't seem to buy a ticket.. is it true or am I looking it in the wrong place..

6. For the 2 days I will be in Fujikawaguchiko to see Fuji-san, I was wondering what do people usually do to spend time other than admiring the mountain in the hotel window.
Is it as simple as going out just for walks, or is it better to join a one day tour? is there attractions worth going nearby?

7. Finally, I wasn't sure what would be the best way to pay other than cash... do people just use their own foreign credit cards?
There are some apps in Japan Apple store where you can purchase service in the app, but App store can't accept my UK visa credit card...

8. Should I buy my sim card and sort out JR pass after I arrive at the airport? ... or would that be too late?

9. Does Google Map works well in Japan? I saw different articles about it, some say it doesn't work very accurately, especially with trains. But I found the Japanese App hard to use as well as I have to know exactly which station I want...

10. I would like to keep my luggage in Tokyo when I visit Kyoto, I wonder if I should use the Kyoto Station locker, but their rating and reviews seem a bit worrying, of has anyone used Ecbo cloak, are they reliable? or any other suggestions please let me know..

My apologies in advance for so many questions, I have spent days and days on research but oh mine word Japan is so big ... I never really planned for trips before when I travel in Europe... but in Japan I am worried I could easily spend a whole day trying to locate what I should do or what metro I should get lol! So just hope to minimise those problems beforehand..

If anyone could kindly advise on any of those points above I would be most appreciated for your time and help...

by AuroraEin  

Re: Seeking advice on multiple travel Qs New Year 2022/12/11 15:02
5. I checked the homepage, but it seems that the park is not closed.
I looked at the reservation screen, but it seems that tickets can only be purchased one week in advance.
So check the booking screen a week before you go.
6. Please refer to here.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6900.html
https://fujisan.ne.jp/en/
7. This may be helpful.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2196.html
I am Japanese, and when I went abroad (even in the UK), I used a VISA card made in Japan. so you will be able to use it.
In the past, there were quite a few cash-only shops, but recently (especially after 2020), I think there are many shops that accept credit cards.
9. Regarding access, this article may be helpful.
https://www.japan-guide.com/news/0057.html
You can also check maps, reviews, and rough route searches on Google Maps.
10. Luggage
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2274.html#storage
There is also such a service.
https://kyoto.handsfree-japan.com/en/
https://www.sagawa-exp.co.jp/ttk/english/
https://www.sagawa-exp.co.jp/ttk/servicecenter/kyoto_station.html
https://ecbonist.ecbo.io/ecbo_cloak_shops_kyoto_kyotostation_top5/
https://coinlocker.click/kyoto-baggage.php
coin locker
https://coinlocker.click/kyoto-station.php
Kappabashi Dougu Street updated the information for the year-end and New Year holidays.
Please check the details on each store's page.
https://www.kappabashi.or.jp/en/shops/
https://www.kappabashi.or.jp/news/1637/
This is information as of late November
https://www.kappabashi.or.jp/wp/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/2022%E5%B9%... E7%A5%9D%E6%97%A5%E5%96%B6%E6%A5%AD%E5%BA%97%E8%88%97221207.pdf
Few shops open during the year-end and New Year holidays.
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: Seeking advice on multiple travel Qs New Year 2022/12/11 17:17
1. As many have also asked, I am not sure what is the best travel pass to get for travelling with my partner.
Our journey will be
7 days in Tokyo/Yokohama
3 days in Osaka

So you will have 21 days in Japan, starting and ending in Tokyo. It will be from the end of 2022 till mid January 2023, right?

In general, your traveling time in Tokyo is good time of the year: Weather will be fine (though cold, but warmer then the UK). The weather in Kansai region including Osaka, Kyoto and Nara is somewhat worse as compared to that in Tokyo, but not so bad. You might be able to enjoy snowy temples/shrines which are quite nice to see.

One problem is Fujikawaguchiko. In general, the winter weather there is not so bad, but sometimes snowy and windy. Therefore, it might be better to go when the weather is (will be) fine.

Tokyo to Fujikawaguchiko is 2 hrs by bus, fare would be 1400-2000 yen one way.

https://www.kosokubus.com/en/special/tokyo_kawaguchiko.html

As such you might better decide the date of Skytree when you can relyably predict the weather.

As for the pass, it depends on the actual itinerary. If you travel to Kansai region within 7 days, then the Japan Rail Pass 7 days will suffice. Japan Rail Pass 14 days will not pay off, but if you want to go additional places such as Hiroshima, Nagano etc., the 14 day pass will be useful.

by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Seeking advice on multiple travel Qs New Year 2022/12/11 17:17
Our journey will be
7 days in Tokyo/Yokohama
3 days in Osaka

So you will have 21 days in Japan, starting and ending in Tokyo. It will be from the end of 2022 till mid January 2023, right?

In general, your traveling time in Tokyo is good time of the year: Weather will be fine (though cold, but warmer then the UK). The weather in Kansai region including Osaka, Kyoto and Nara is somewhat worse as compared to that in Tokyo, but not so bad. You might be able to enjoy snowy temples/shrines which are quite nice to see.

One problem is Fujikawaguchiko. In general, the winter weather there is not so bad, but sometimes snowy and windy. Therefore, it might be better to go when the weather is (will be) fine.

Tokyo to Fujikawaguchiko is 2 hrs by bus, fare would be 1400-2000 yen one way.

https://www.kosokubus.com/en/special/tokyo_kawaguchiko.html

As such you might better decide the date of Skytree when you can relyably predict the weather.

As for the pass, it depends on the actual itinerary. If you travel to Kansai region within 7 days, then the Japan Rail Pass 7 days will suffice. Japan Rail Pass 14 days will not pay off, but if you want to go additional places such as Hiroshima, Nagano etc., the 14 day pass will be useful.

by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Seeking advice on multiple travel Qs New Year 2022/12/11 19:13
1) I donft think a pass will pay off. You are 8 days in Kansai area so canft fit the travel Tokyo / Kyoto in a 7 day window.

2) are you traveling alone or with muktiple people. If alone i would go with non reserved seat between Tokyo and Kyoto. (As I am wrtiting this I am somewhere behind Nagoya in a non reserved seat in a Nozomi Shinkansen). The only exception I would make regarding unreserved, I would go reserved if you travel between 31dec and 9 Jan on the Shinkansen.
Anyway you can get a reserved seat and change it when you are at the station to an earlier train or go unreserved. So normally no need to wait for trains. Eg today in Osaka I had a 5 min wait to get into my unreserved seat. And in my way to Osaka on Tuesday I came Dian to the platform in the very minute the train arrived, had time to buy a drink and jump on. Not buying a JR pass also means you can take Nozomi Shinkansen which are more frequent and faster.

3) renting a car for long distance travel makes no sense in Japan. Speed limits are low (maybe 100 km/h) while trains are fast and frequent. Renting a car does make sense if you go to remote areas or want to travel around remote areas. So potentially IN Kawaguchiko renting a car for 1 day can make sense if you want to go to some dater flung places (eg all 5 lakes). I am
a bit worried though about snow. Not sure if there will be snow in the villages / cities at the base of mt Fuji. The mountain itself is already well covered in snow since a few weeks.
4) yes there are some subway passes for x days (I donft know the details but there is a good page on JG that explains all passes. HOWEVER this ticket is only valid on gTokyo Metroh which is one of many rail companies in Tokyo. For many tourists this and the JR Yamanote line is likely the only trains you are going to use. I personally would just get a PASMO/Suica card, which is a card you can charge and use on the go. Itfs also valid in Kyoto, Osaka etc. essentially itfs valid nation wide with some small exceptions.

3 ) the best you can get is data. You canft get a local phone number w/o being a resident. Nor would I know why you need a phone number. If you want to call someone on a landline, just get some Skype credit. Easy and cheap.

4) Ifd expect the shops in Kappabashi doro to be closed but everything else open and specially Meiji Jingu very full of people. But thatfs part of the experience.

6) I donft know why you decided to stay 2 days in Kawaguchiko. What you can do there is look at the mountain from several lakes, and go to an onsen (and look at Mt Fuji). If there is no snow /good weather you could potentially also cycle. Depending on your strength if you can do only 1 of the 5 lakes, I suggest Yamanakako.
That was me there at end if October:

http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.com/2022/10/fuji-4-lakes-d1.html

8) for the sim, I would buy after arrival eg at a Bic Camera store. For JR pass if you finally decide to buy one, I remember it is cheaper to buy abroad. It wasnft possible to buy in Japan but I think recently it has become available.

9) yes, kindoff. Itfs good to find the fastest connection but sometimes those connections donft make sense (too much changing) or gforcesh you on a Shinkansen when there is a cheaper local train. But yes. In general terms it works.

10) ask you Tokyo hotel if they can keep it for you. But youfll be away for a long time. 11 days (?). So that might be difficult. Two options: (1) pack lighter and donft have stuff you need to leave behind (check if your hotel has a washing machine) or (2) ship your luggage to Kyoto and the back from Kyoto to Tokyo. Yamato Kuroneko will keep your luggage for a few days (I remember Max 7 days) , so you can go with a small bag to Kawaguchiko

Other comments:
In principle you donft need to change hotels between Osaka and Kyoto they are close enough. And I still have to find anything interesting to do in Osaka. Just spent there the day today and went walking in Minoo and then to a super sento, which is nice, but frankly Kyoto, Nara, Biwako are so much better.

If normally you arenft a lot of a planner there isnft any reason to become a planner for Japan. Buy a guide book or use Japan Guide webpage. Look at the weather forecast and plan day by day.

However around NY stay in a big city or in a hotel booked WITH lunch & dinner as many places will be closed. I would also suggest to precook accommodation between 31/dec and 9/Jan.

You are going from Kyoto to Kawaguchiko. On a map that looks reasonable. In reality not so much. I would make it a trip from Tokyo and frankly Ifd make it a day trip as you donft seem to have specific plans beyond glooking at Mt Fujih. Which isnft guaranteed due to weather, so better have some flexibility.

by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Seeking advice on multiple travel Qs New Year 2022/12/11 20:59
4. Kappabashi street - since the shops there are mainly, or originally for commercial customers, a lot of them do close on the 31st, though some (just a dozen or so ) will be open. If there is any specific shop you want to visit, I suggest you look them up and call them in advance.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Seeking advice on multiple travel Qs New Year 2022/12/11 23:55
I can't be more thankful of receiving so many replies already, with great details. thank you so much everyone.

My actual itinerary based on my current hotel booking is like this:

I travel with my husband so 2 of us altogether.

26th - 31th Dec - arrive in the morning at Tokyo and staying nearby Ginza/Tsukiji
31 - 2nd Jan - stay at Asakusa (cos I really want to visit Senso-ji at midnight)
2-3rd - I haven't booked a hotel but I feel I should go to Osaka to see Osaka castle which per guide is open on the 2nd
3-10 - stay in Kyoto then move around to Sakai/Nara/Osaka if still need to
10-12 - Fujikawaguchiko - I'm staying at a hotel called Mizno, which seems quite nice...
12-14 - Back to Tokyo, I have restaurant reservation on 12:00 on 13th, so I do hope the transportation won't be too bad weather wise to get back to Tokyo on the 12th...

Kappabashi Dougu Street - like many of you have said, only a few shops will open during the time I stay at Asakusa.. but it's actually quite an important part of our trip to buy dougu.. so it seems I should maybe move to the Asakusa hotel a day early on the 30th, or stay the 3rd in Tokyo as well..
by AuroraEin rate this post as useful

Re: Seeking advice on multiple travel Qs New Year 2022/12/12 00:22
Why do you plan to change hotels in Tokyo? Ginza - Asakusa is a 18 min subway ride.

Any hotel change will take longer than that.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Seeking advice on multiple travel Qs New Year 2022/12/12 00:26
@haro1210

5. thank you so much, I did not realise it's booking not yet open, that gives me hope of able to visit it! I will keep an eye

6-10 thank you for all the links, this is so comprehensive, I will have a good look through of them.

I wonder if you have any thoughts on my question on what travel pass I should better get, I have just added the exact travel itinerary showing my travel frequencies

@LikeBike
Thank for your help and explanation, that helped me making a lot of decisions now which I was struggling what to do :)

1-2) do you suggest I don't get any pass at all, and just buy tickets as I need them? Maybe I can do that online?
And Shinkansen I just better reserve seats and buy well in advance I suppose.

3) thank you as we only travel in cities then driving seems not needed

4) got it, PASMO/Suica is better, sounds less trouble too!

3) sorry about my confusing numbering as I was writing the post at 4 am...
Good to know about Skype credit, will stick with Sim then

6) LOL is 2 days there too long? I wonder if people actually go to other places to see Fujisan rather than going to Fujikawaguchiko? Is it not an ideal location? Many trip posts mentions Hakone, I always wonder if that's a easier travel version of seeing Fujisan...

8) thank you for informing about the Sim! I am still unsure of what to do with the travel pass :(

9) Again that's really useful to know about google maps, thank you. So do people useζŠ·ˆΔ“ΰ more? I might need to make an effort then ...
or do people use Yahoo map or something different?

10) thank you for introducing Yamato Kuroneko - that truly will be useful if I travel from Kyoto to Fujikawaguchiko - I didn't even realise the issue I will be facing there! thank you for noticing..

Google map suggestion says I should go:

Tokaido-Sanyo Shinkansen to MISHIMA STATION
Then Mishima Eki Minamiguchi to Kawaguchiko Eki
Then Kawaguchiko Sta to Azagawaonsengai

I'm planning to take the train at 2pm (because we have activities that we can only take in that morning)

Not sure if the trip route planned by Google map sounds good enough to get there by the evening?

And to your final point, the hotel I booked for around new year isn't providing food though :(

I was thinking day time Sensoji will have street food in the day time on New year's eve and New year's day - or do they?!

Not sure what to do with dinner though, any suggestions on where I can go for food around σ‘“cŒ΄’¬?

Many thanks for all your help

@AK - many thanks for your advice, it looks like going there on the 31st or the new year won't be a good idea :( I will have a replan, thank you!

by AuroraEin rate this post as useful

Re: Seeking advice on multiple travel Qs New Year 2022/12/12 01:35
Update: Looking again at the detailed opening hours shared by @haro1210 re Kappabashi Dougu street
I realised the only time it make sense to go is when I return to Tokyo at end of the trip when all the shops are open. So maybe will go on the 14th Jan instead.
Thanks again as I can see how big mistake I almost madec xd
by AuroraEin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Seeking advice on multiple travel Qs New Year 2022/12/12 08:58
Regarding travel pass

Is it the simplest to get a Suica card?
Will I be able to use it on everything including train and metro in TokyKansaiOsaka/Kyoto/Sakai (except Shinkansei)?

I just want the most hassle free method that I don't have to worry about when to get a tickets and where.
For example going to Sakai from Kyoto I have to change 3 trains from different line. I don't think I will have enough time to buy ticket for each change.

Unless I should get a one day pass for that day?
Or can you pay for ticket after getting on the train?

In UK we have a train app, you just set departure and final destination, then the app automatically work out the different trains connection, and allows you to buy the ticket on the app by one click for everything. All we need to do then is to scan the QR code when needed.

Is there something similar in Japan?
by AuroraEin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Seeking advice on multiple travel Qs New Year 2022/12/12 10:35
I don't know if there is an app that lets you plan a route and buy a ticket in Japan, but IC cards will let you just tap in and out of various lines as long as you have money on the card, (otherwise you do a fare adjustment) so I would just make sure you have money on your IC card ahead of time.

Since you are flying into Tokyo presumably, you are probably better off getting the Welcome Suica IC card assuming it is still on offer because it has no deposit fee and all you need to do is make sure it is at 0 when you are done in Japan. (which is relatively easy.) I mean you could leave it with money on it, but the money is gone after the first 28 days of use, so it behooves you to go through it all.

https://www.jreast.co.jp/multi/en/welcomesuica/welcomesuica.html

Missing a connection 100% stinks, but the good news is that assuming you mean Sakai just south of Osaka and well known for its knives, all of the different trains you take to get there run fairly frequently. Your main goal is to get to Shin-Inanamiya to transfer to the Nankai line towards Wakayama.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

reply to this thread