Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Temporary Sim or Pocket-Wifi? 2023/1/16 12:47
Hello!
Heading to Japan in March and I can't decide between the pocket wifi or a SIM card for my phone. If I get a SIM card, do I need an international plan for my phone? I don't actually think Straight Talk Wireless offers roaming/international calling in other countries besides a select few, Japan not being one of them but I wasn't sure if a SIM can change that. I assume with a pocket wifi, I won't need to bother as iMessage and WiFi calls will go through just fine.
by Hunter S (guest)  

Re: Temporary Sim or Pocket-Wifi? 2023/1/17 18:54
Travel sims in Japan have no phone number (can't make calls). I would avoid wifi calls tbh as for some operators this counts as a standard call with the roaming costs (depending where you're from it can get expensive). The travel sims offered are quite limited compared to before and I felt that they increased a bit in prices (aftermath of the pandemic I guess).
If you can use esims you could also use Ubigi (app in play or app store), 10gb of data cost me 15$ which was a lot cheaper than the options in Japan.
by max (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Temporary Sim or Pocket-Wifi? 2023/1/19 15:52
Is your phone region locked?

If yes: Recomend - PUPURU Wifi
https://pupuruwifi.com/

If no: Recomend - Mobal (Sim & Wifi)
https://www.mobal.com/

(I have used both)
by Adarnim rate this post as useful

Re: Temporary Sim or Pocket-Wifi? 2023/1/21 21:52
I think eSim is the best option, I'm going to use one of them for my next trip. You just need to install it on your phone, nothing to carry around. I still have to find a good provider.
@max I didn't know about the phone number, do eSims allow you to call?
by Margu rate this post as useful

Re: Temporary Sim or Pocket-Wifi? 2023/1/22 08:04
@Margu

The Japan eSIM only allows you to use mobile data. It does not include a local phone number for mobile calls or messages. You can still make calls using apps like WhatsApp. No, the eSIM for Japan does not allow you to share data.
(^Google^)

Re: Temporary Sim or Pocket-Wifi? 2023/1/22 18:37
@Adarnim This could be a problem, I don't think Hotels will answer Whatsapp calls. Do you think it's necessary to have a phone number during a long trip?
by Margu rate this post as useful

Re: Temporary Sim or Pocket-Wifi? 2023/1/23 04:03
I wasnft aware of an eSIM, so Ifll have to look into those as well and weigh their benefits vs travel sims. And yes my phone is region locked which is why I donft think even a Sim Will help me since the carrier says: gCalls can only originate from these 5 countriesh which doesnft include Japan.

Though the ghotels might not answer WhatsApph thing is kinda concerning in case I get lost. @Margu. To an extent, if only to keep in contact with family in the US and call some place for reservations or directions.
by Hunter S. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Temporary Sim or Pocket-Wifi? 2023/1/23 08:44
@Hunter S. (guest)
@Margu

I once managed to travel to key locations between Tokyo to Hiroshima and back before travel-sim cards or Wifi was an option (think I had a Pebble or BlackBerry), so personaly not a must... BUT Does make navigation a lot easier.

A lot of places have free wifi (mostly convinience stores), good for googlemaps etc.

As for contacting accomodation, see if they have an instagram page that can be DM'ed or something similar (a little unconventional but better than nothing). Alternately email them ahead to let them know that your phone might not work properly and ask if they can give a recomended route (if possible in Eng & Jp); you can show this to people if needed.

(I've also heard of 'burn-phones' but dont know anything about them / if they'er still a thing)

But you'd be suprised how far one can get armed with just googlemaps and a plolite - sumimasen, nihongo jotto. doko desuka?

Re: Temporary Sim or Pocket-Wifi? 2023/1/25 19:50
Why do you need to contact the hotel when in Japan?
If you want to find out how to get to the hotel, look at their website, select access , or directions & youfll have all the details which you can save on yr phone before you go to Japan.

If using a taxi, give the driver the telephone number of the hotel & theyfll set their navigation accordingly.

Many recent travellers have found Ubigi esim (data only) offers very good reception (NTT Docomo network )Download the esim , set up the account before leaving but donft order any till youfre in Japan.
However itfs cheap enough that purchasing the data the day youfre leaving wouldnft break the bank.
Itfs significantly less expensive than the local sims which another poster has observed the prices have gone up.

To unlock your phone talk to your local provider. Tell them youfre going overseas as the reason.
Where I live, itfs illegal to sell locked phones for the last 10-15 years. But I understand in the USA generally phones are sold locked.?
by aa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Temporary Sim or Pocket-Wifi? 2023/1/27 04:16
As mentioned by others you don't get a number and won't be able to make any calls. Some of the japanese SIM providers offer services to get a virtual number and be able to call numbers in Japan but this never worked for me. My recommendation stays with something like ubigi as an esim provider and if calls are necessary maybe a Skype account with 5$ on it. But I honestly never was required to make a call in Japan in my 10+ trips (asode for one issue after not being able to get to the rental car due to weather issues in Yakushima)
by max (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Temporary Sim or Pocket-Wifi? 2023/1/31 06:23
I think I'm agreeing with all of the other posts here, but would highly recommend a pocket wi-fi over a sim for these reasons:

1. No fiddling with changing sims and settings and the possibility of losing the more important home sim.
2. Battery life is likely to be better when only using wi-fi.
3. If you have any other wi-fi device, like an iPad or laptop, it will also benefit.
4. Unlimited data, even if it occasionally reduces speed if used too much, seems much more common on pocket wi-fi options.
5. This might be the most important - your home sim remains in your phone. If your carrier's charges are anything like mine or any from the UK, the costs are catastrophically expensive, hundreds of yen per minute for calls (in or out), charges to receive/send texts, and downloading a movie or buying a new Honda become equivalent purchases. But, if you are unlucky enough to be in a really dire, once in a hundred lifetimes situation, all you need is to take the phone off airplane mode and you can do what you need to do, costs be dammed.
by Orangezorki rate this post as useful

Re: Temporary Sim or Pocket-Wifi? 2023/6/30 13:59
I'm answering my own question in hopes that it helps someone in the budget phone carrier category like myself:
The mobile hotspot worked like a charm. When I left LA, I set my phone to airplane, connected it when I picked up my hotspot and was able to use iMessage and iCalls (?) to and from others with an iPhone, like my parents. Internet was speedy for maps and translations and I don't think I ever lost service, but I didn't go hiking or anything so YMMV. Anyway, if your loved ones have iPhones and all you do is send the daily "I'm alive" text, you don't need a SIM or new plan, I survived on WiFi alone.
by Hunter (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Temporary Sim or Pocket-Wifi? 2023/7/13 10:41
I have used pupuru mobile hotspot 3 times and it works great. You can have it delivered to your hotel and drop it off using a mailbox or at the airport. They also have pick up desks at all the major airports.
by JohnOnKauai rate this post as useful

reply to this thread