Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Digital JR Jikokuhyo App 2023/1/21 11:08
Has anyone here used the Digital JR Jikokuhyou (デジタルJR時刻表) app? The Lite version looks to be somewhat useful and the Pro version even moreso. It can be used in English as well as Japanese, can be set up to exclude trains not covered by the JR pass, and also will include non-JR lines. I’m thinking of buying it for a month for my next trip, but was wondering if there were any serious downsides. It looks like I can get it from the Apple App store and put it on my iPad. (It is also available for Android from the Google Play store, but I expect that trying to use it on my Pixel phone would be too hard on my eyes.) It also looks like I can easily turn off the auto-renew option, and that I can pay for it with App Store credits (I assume they will automatically convert from my US dollar credits to Japanese yen and deduct the correct amount. I believe it’s \1600.) Am I getting any of this wrong?

Anyway, I was just wondering what other people’s experience was. Is a paid version of any other app better? (I don’t want to pay with a credit card unless absolutely necessary.)

Thanks for any input!
by Kim (guest)  

Re: Digital JR Jikokuhyo App 2023/1/21 23:23
Here is a description (in Japanese) of the app. It is 1600 yen for 30 days of the multilingual Pro version. (The Japanese-only version is 1000 yen, but I’d rather pay 600 yen more and be able to use it in English.) Apparently I can try it out for a short period for free, so I will do that first.
https://www.kotsu.co.jp/service/digital_contents/digital_jikoku_pro/
A description of the Lite version is here:
https://www.kotsu.co.jp/service/digital_contents/digital_jikoku_lite/

Meanwhile, if anyone here has experience or usage suggestions, I’d be happy to hear them.

I really miss Hyperdia and have not found anything that comes close to the functionality I used to get from it, but if I can get the same or similar functionality from a single app, I would be willing to pay, especially if I only have to buy it 30 days at a time.
by Kim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Digital JR Jikokuhyo App 2023/3/18 21:00
Follow Up

I tried out the Pro Version of this app for a full month during a recent trip, and my verdict is that it is probably totally useless to the overwhelming majority of readers on this forum because the English features are pretty limited. I would say that unless you can read a fair amount of Japanese, you won’t be able to get anywhere at all with this product.

I did like the app and might consider buying it again (you just pay for 30 days by using your credits in the app store and then after that all of the paid-for functionality shuts off—no automatic renewals to worry about or anything). I have enough Japanese skills to be able to take advantage of many of the purchased features, and I did. But it was laborious for me, and I didn’t use the app enough to get adept at it. Also, I didn’t use trains a great deal on this particular trip, so I didn’t need to look up schedules all that often. When I did so, I will say that I generally had better results with this app than with Navitime or Jorudan, though. Or Google Maps. Navitime in particular sometimes gave me really wacky results.

For power users with considerable fluency in Japanese, this could possibly be a good resource, although the free or Lite version gives you the most commonly used features anyway. And there are other apps out there that might be better if you can read Japanese.
by Kim (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread