Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Skip flight in Japan - Penalty? 2023/2/5 04:09
Hello,

I am traveling to Hiroshima via Tokyo from USA. So my flights on ANA go like this:

USA(1) -> Tokyo (2) -> Hiroshima(3) -> Tokyo(4) -> USA

If I skip flight #3 and as long as I get back Tokyo for flight #4, is there any problem with ANA?
Will they penalize me for skipping a flight?

Sydney

by Sydney (guest)  

Re: Skip flight in Japan - Penalty? 2023/2/5 19:17
Flight ticket must be used in its order when it's in one PNR. Final flight boarding will be refused.
by KyushuLocal rate this post as useful

Re: Skip flight in Japan - Penalty? 2023/2/5 21:50
Will you be skipping 2 flights? HND-HIJ and HIJ-HND?
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Skip flight in Japan - Penalty? 2023/2/5 23:41
Hello,

I am only skipping the leg from Hiroshima to Tokyo. I called ANA yesterday and twice I was put 'on-hold' for about 25 minutes. So I hung up and decided to ask in this forum.

Sydney
by Sydney (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Skip flight in Japan - Penalty? 2023/2/6 00:02
Were all the flights booked and paid together at the same time?

If so, then all flights that are after the missed flight would become voided by the airline.

This is because the airline considers the entire booking as a single itinerary.

The only exception to the above, is if you booked the Hiroshima - Tokyo flight separately from your round trip flight between the US and Japan.

by Kari Haruka rate this post as useful

Re: Skip flight in Japan - Penalty? 2023/2/6 01:01
My flights are reserved and have not fully paid. I will try to get a hold of ANA agent
to ask and see what they say. Will post back here ... Thanks

Re: Skip flight in Japan - Penalty? 2023/2/6 02:41
So I called ANA and waited for an agent to come online. After 15 minutes of waiting, I decided to go for lunch, ate my lunch came home, still waiting for the ANA agent after 65 minutes. Maybe only one
agent working over there in Japan after mid-night. lol. I hung up.

I now called United Airlines. Agent answered my call immediately. That was a surprise!! The answer to my question is a big "NO". I can't skip and will not be allowed to board the return flight back to USA.

I have two options: 1) book two separate flights as someone suggested or 2) book a multi-city flight that goes like this

USA -> HND -> HIJ -> HND -> USA

The UA agent told me in some cases, this may even be cheaper!

Sydney

Re: Skip flight in Japan - Penalty? 2023/2/6 08:07
Airlines across the world have the same policy. Any missed leg and all subsequent flights will be cancelled. Doesn't matter if they are paid, or you turn up, those flight bookings will be gone.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Skip flight in Japan - Penalty? 2023/2/7 03:17
The above is correct. If you no-show a flight, the rest of the itinerary is auto-cancelled. If you wish to skip a flight after ticketing, you would need to have the ticket re-issued, paying any penalty for it (some very cheap-o tickets do not allow it at all).
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Skip flight in Japan - Penalty? 2023/2/7 03:53
I am just going to book a 'multi-city' itinerary for my travel. Simple and stress free.

However I am curious why this is such a big deal for airlines if your flight is already paid and you
decide to skip it. How about if you checked in one day ahead. You got all the boarding passes
and you skipped the leg from HIJ -> HND?

Sydney

Re: Skip flight in Japan - Penalty? 2023/2/7 04:34
If you are still going to skip a sector, I doubt a multi trip ticket is going to be of benefit. The remaining sector becomes void.

Not sure the intent of your agenda (perhaps something sinister?) but do report back on the outcome . Ifm sure we can learn from your expensive experience.

Still valid irrespective of time :
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k12410892-Missing_a_fl...

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k8552746-Skipping_a_co...
by aa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Skip flight in Japan - Penalty? 2023/2/7 06:12
Why would someone even suggest there is sinister reason? Really?

They just changed their itinerary cos they are on holidays and just because they can. Don't need to justify their reasoning to anyone.

---

But yes airlines have rules on these things. Best the OP rebooks his/her tickets.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Skip flight in Japan - Penalty? 2023/2/7 06:24

Re: Skip flight in Japan - Penalty? 2023/2/7 06:59
Do read OPfs original post!
by aa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Skip flight in Japan - Penalty? 2023/2/7 07:10
Thank you "H".

In my last reply, I simply posted a question not an intent. But they immediately 'alleged' that my thinking was 'sinister'. I don't/never respond to this type of comment.

I just have a need to skip HIJ -> HND. Period.

Sydney

Re: Skip flight in Japan - Penalty? 2023/2/7 09:34
"However I am curious why this is such a big deal for airlines if your flight is already paid and you
decide to skip it."

It is somewhat of a complicated issue. From the passenger's perspective and just looking at it from the outside, feeling perplexed seems entirely understandable. Though airline's see it differently.
One issue deals with the ticket rules especially regarding stopovers, layovers, taxes for using airports, etc. If they don't allow it and you just don't show up for a flight anyway to have your own way, they see it as an abuse and they don't like it. Not to mention that airlines don't consider surface sectors unless you book them that way such as an open jaw ticket. If you don't show up for a flight, then it's clear you won't take any other flights afterwards as well, so they are just cancelled.

Another issue is that they are a business, and the lifeblood of any business is making money. Airfares are determined by many different factors - distance, the price of oil, and others, but one other big one is competition. Airlines operate with something called "Higher Intermediate Point" - which means for example if you have one person flying from Shanghai to New York via Tokyo business class and another person just flying Tokyo to New York business class, the person just flying from Tokyo might be buying a ticket that is twice the price. Why would they charge that? Because they can. Is that just greed? From the passenger's point of view, yes. But not the airline.
The ultimate examples of what some people do are called "hidden city ticketing" and "throwaway ticketing".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airline_booking_ploys
These really make airlines irate and some lawsuits even have been litigated.

So in answer to your question, "How about if you checked in one day ahead" (and don't show up) - Nope. They have passenger manifests and they count heads before departure. If you don't board, they will know. And you could be left high and dry - not a good position to be in when you're trying to enjoy yourself on a trip.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Skip flight in Japan - Penalty? 2023/2/7 10:06
It all boils down to the contract you sign when you pay for airline tickets. It's in the fine print we all overlook when we "agree" to the contract we sign with the airline. They can charge you excess, sue you or take your miles away if you have a mileage program with them.

Re: Skip flight in Japan - Penalty? 2023/2/8 06:43
Ken,

Appreciate you taking the time to explain this. I had no idea what sounds so simple and no harm turns out to be this complicated! Now I know a little better.

Sydney

Re: Skip flight in Japan - Penalty? 2023/2/8 08:11
It has gotten more complicated over the years - especially with the throw-away ticket issue. Some airlines explicitly include in their terms and conditions that not using all the ticketed sectors makes the passenger liable for compensation. It has been a standard for a long time now.
Sometimes the airlines themselves make life difficult. I had a case some years back when checking in for leg #2 of a three sector schedule I was given a new boarding pass (this was a Monday morning). When I went to check in on Friday evening to return home after a week working remotely I was told I did not board my second flight and my #3 flight had been cancelled. Fortunately I still had my Monday boarding pass and could prove I took the flight. I did get home.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Skip flight in Japan - Penalty? 2023/2/8 10:22
Thinking more ... It's all about the bottom line.

So in your scenario, you tried to board leg #3 but you discovered at the airport, you had no seat/reservation under your name. They assumed you weren't going to show up since you didn't show up for leg #2. Obviously, in their eyes, 'your' seat is now empty and goes to the 'high bid' (for any last minute purchase passenger). lol

reply to this thread