Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Sales tax exemption 2023/2/10 17:15
I buy some skincare over jpy5500 and the cashier ask for my husband passport to do tax exemption. Then she sealed the bag.

I didn't know the bag cannot open, and I HV open it and not able to seal back. And I'm going bck alone without my husband. And the receipt also lost.

Will I facing any problem when I go back?
by Gracelyl2003  

Re: Sales tax exemption 2023/2/11 10:50
i would also stock up on skincare when in japan and havenft experienced yet that the stuff i bought were inspected. my guess is that if the quantity is obviously for personal use, they donft really check. but others may have a different experience.
by andrea (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sales tax exemption 2023/2/11 11:10
Why can't the bag be opened?

I see no issue with what you have done. Nor will you have issues.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sales tax exemption 2023/2/11 12:28
Overseas travelers to Japan can buy things gduty freeh in Japan on the understanding that they are going to take the merchandise outside the country to use them, the merchandise are not to be consumed/used within Japan or by anyone in Japan. You should have known that. (So if it was bought in your husbandfs name, he is supposed to keep it sealed while in Japan, and open it only after hefs back in his/your country.)

Having said that, the Japanese customs rarely check the goods & receipts at the airport upon departure, so i would not really worry about it.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Sales tax exemption 2023/2/12 21:35
Travelers can buy things tax-duty-free on one condition that they use the product outside the country. This is because there would be no designated country to collect your tax.

So, if you bought it tax-duty-free in Japan, you cannot use it in Japan. If you bought it tax-duty-free in another country (such as in your home country, upon departure to Japan), you can use it in Japan.

If authorities find out that you used it in the wrong country, they will have to collect the tax that was once waved. I don't think that paying the tax you were supposed to pay should be a big problem.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Sales tax exemption 2023/2/13 07:13
Thanks everyone
by Gracelyl2003 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread