Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

14D Kansai W/ Wide Area & Thru Pass 2023/2/10 23:55
Hello! Long block of text ahead—feel free to read only if you like! Just wanted to get a check on my planned itinerary.

My mom and I spontaneously booked a 2 week trip due to expiring airline miles. Flying out tomorrow. Hotels are all booked and paid for—have to move around a few times in order to get the best deals of out all of them.

As it will be our 11th trip to Japan, wefve already done most of the typical tourist spots in Kansai (Osaka, Kyoto, Nara). Wefve also checked out Amanohashidate, Okayama, and Takamatsu.

Wefre looking for more alternative places so we are getting the JR Kansai Wide Area 5 Day pass and a 2-day Kansai Thru Pass. Our travel style is 1 base with day trips so wefre mostly staying in Osaka with one night in Kinosaki.

Day 1: Late Arrival in KIX, stay overnight at airport hotel

Day 2: Rinku Town Outlets, then Nankai Rapit, check in hotel near Kitahama station, explore Osaka afternoon-evening

Day 3: Shopping / Rest Day, maybe hit a private onsen facility in Osaka (Niji no yu)

Day 4: Day Trip to Kyoto (Kinkakuji, Kitano Tenmangu).

Day 5: Check out of Kitahama hotel. Activate Kansai Wide Area Pass, head to Kinosaki. Overnight there.

Day 6: Morning Kinosaki, then afternoon maybe Himeji? We donft want to really climb the castle—is it worth to simply admire the sights in the non-paid area? If not Himeji, Shin-Kobe ropeway. Check into hotel beside Shin-Osaka

Day 7: Tottori Day Trip for Sand Dunes—thinking to use the 3-hour private tourist taxi

Day 8: Biwako Valley Ski Resort. This is on a weekend, but the bus timetable has more pick up times compared to weekday—will we expect a ton of people thatfll make it not worth it? Then explore Lake Biwa, check out the Ukimido "Floating Temple" of Mangetsu-ji Temple

Day 9: Nothing strictly planned—maybe a day trip to Shirahama if itfs worth seeing (Nachi Falls seems too far for a day trip unfortunately). Otherwise, this day is still open to suggestions. JR Kansai Wide Area Pass expires.

Day 10: Rest Day in Osaka, move to hotel by Kitahama station again. Maybe do TeamLabs Botanical gardens in the evening.

Day 11: Activate Kansai Thru Pass, Koyasan Day trip (wefre completely fine not experiencing a temple stay)

Day 12: Another trip to Kyoto? Might combine with Nara and/or Uji. Truthfully, Ifm really open to suggestions here. Virtually anywhere eoff-trackf we can explore with Kansai Thru Pass.

Day 13: Last full day in Osaka. Last minute shopping, eating, and any other miscellaneous things we want to do before leaving.

Day 14: Morning Nankai rapit to Kansai, depart
by Kansai Travel (guest)  

Re: 14D Kansai W/ Wide Area & Thru Pass 2023/2/11 11:19
Kinosaki to Himeji/Kobe to Tottori doesn't make sense. Since Kinosaki and Tottori are so close.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 14D Kansai W/ Wide Area & Thru Pass 2023/2/11 11:57
If you are looking at other ideas for the Kansai area, you might consider going to see Hikone Castle and the Genkyuen Garden. Alternatively, you could see Miyama, or if you want closer, Otsu has a number of sights as well. You might find the Kansai Area Pass might work better compared to the Kansai Thru Pass.
The southern Nara area is also an often ignored area, around Sakurai. This site has a number of good places listed.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 14D Kansai W/ Wide Area & Thru Pass 2023/2/11 22:40
I second Hikone and also inner Nara prefecture. Yamatoyagi has a nice old town.

In General your plan seems quite okay.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread