Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cheaper options travel to Kanazawa / Takayama 2023/2/13 18:08
Hi ,

Does anyone have any advice with cheaper options travel to Kanazawa or Takayama without JR Pass ?

Thank you
by akhouw  

Re: Cheaper options travel to Kanazawa / Takayama 2023/2/14 06:35
You can save money by taking a bus from Tokyo to Kanazawa. It takes considerably longer but it is quite a bit cheaper.

I believe there are direct buses to Takayama as well, but I suspect the route is less competitive than to Kanazawa.

You could also presumably see if there are any discount airfares to Komatsu Airport a little ways out from Kanazawa.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Cheaper options travel to Kanazawa / Takayama 2023/2/14 07:00
Check out the Nohi Bus website that I have provided. It is based in Takayama, and has Highway express busses to Tokyo(Shinjuku), Osaka, Kyoto, Kanazawa, Takoka, Nagoya, and Matsumoto. Some of the JR passes include a discount for the Matsumoto to Takayama express bus.

https://www.nouhibus.co.jp/english/
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_nagano_niigata.html

The Nohi bus line also has tourism packages that are attractive. If you are at Shinjuku Station, the bus takes about a half hour longer to get to Takayama, but you donft have to transfer trains two times. Frankly, the extra half hour with having to transfer luggage between train is worth it to me.

I have thought about starting a trip by going to Takayama by bus, and then using some of the tourism packages before heading to Kyoto, which also seems to be better served by day bus passes. I would then go to Nara and Koyasan on a Kansai Thru pass before boarding an overnight ferry to Beppu.

All of this could be at a slower pace, and not involve a JR pass.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck, in planning your trip.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Cheaper options travel to Kanazawa / Takayama 2023/2/14 07:43
Avoid the shinkansen to/from Kanazawa as you pay a premium for speed. A simple route is express train to Matsumoto, bus to Takayama and bus (or train) to Kanazawa. Certainly the bus and there are some good connections with Nohi - a bit cheaper, but takes longer.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Cheaper options travel to Kanazawa / Takayama 2023/2/15 05:23
First, you don't say where you are coming from, which matters a lot. The simple answer is that the bus is the cheapest way - though it is also very time consuming.

But it also occurred to me also that if you are a foreign tourist, flying is another option, and there are cheap airfares on both ANA and JAL, even for 11,000 yen per flight to Komatsu Airport.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread