Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Internet/WiFi in Japan 2023/2/17 22:41
Hello,

I would like to get some suggestions in terms of options for Internet/WiFi connections
while visiting Japan. I'm not looking for fancy high-tech devices. I just need reliable internet
connections when I am inside Japan and cost is inexpensive or reasonable.

Thanks much.

Sydney

by Sydney (guest)  

Re: Internet/WiFi in Japan 2023/4/19 11:04
I have used pocket wifi, sim card replacements, and now esim.. Esim is most useful as all you need is to scan a QR code they email and activate while in Japan. Just need to turn off your primary line so your usual carrier does not charge you. I tried Holafly last November and was ok and had to text once for support as stopped working after one week. Was $48 for 15 days of unlimited data. This last trip ,I came home yesterday after two weeks in Japan , I tried Airalo Moshi Moshi plan for $11.50 USD for 5gb of data. It worked great and had service on trains and rural japan as well. It used Softbanks wireless company's service. These plans are only for data and no phone calls. You can use whatsapp for calls and can also teether as a hopspot. My wife teethered to me and worked fine. I used googlemaps extensively and texted quite a bit. If going to upload photos or videos a lot then maybe want to get the 10gb plan for $18. This plan was cheap, less than a $1/day, and more importantly worked as advertised
by peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Internet/WiFi in Japan 2023/4/21 23:28
If there are multiple users (your travel partners) or multiple devices (like computer & smart phone) renting a wireless router is the way to go. Some vendors offer discount for long term rental, I usually travel for 4 weeks and unlimited data monthly rate is very reasonable.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2279.html

by ITO (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Internet/WiFi in Japan 2023/4/22 08:25
Thanks Peter & ITO for replying.

It seems like pocket wifi is probably more economical when traveling with the family. That way, only one device is rental is needed. I heard some airbnb provides free pocket wifi to their guests. I haven't actually looked yet. I'm guessing if I ultimately need an esim this should be available for purchase at Haneda. Right?

by Sydney (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Internet/WiFi in Japan 2023/4/27 11:58
If you need internet/wifi in Japan and plan to only use data, just do a portable wifi rental device. I've don this before and they work VERY well. You can just do a google search and look for portable wifi Japan and there will be a bunch of websites.

The good thing is they also offer different speeds and different prices for what you want. Generally speaking, you don't need a super high speed device, so save yourself some money if they try to upsell you on that.
by Tom (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Internet/WiFi in Japan 2023/4/27 14:17
Don't laugh - but klook has plenty of these on their website (often cheaper than on general searches).
by mfedley rate this post as useful

reply to this thread