Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to say this when in a restaurant? 2023/2/22 18:42
hi! I'm going to japan with my family, total of 5 people.

I'm trying to find out when going to a restaurant and when the staff ask how many people are there, i know i can say "go-nin desu" or "go-mei desu", but how do i further explain this: " or we can split 2 person and 3 person per table?"

can i say something like "ni mei to san mei no tebaru (table) mo iidesu"?

Thanks in advance!
by chower  

Re: How to say this when in a restaurant? 2023/2/22 21:31
I can imagine a conversation like this:
- Teeburu ga wakarete mo ii desu (Itfs OK if we sit at separate tables.)

And the staff looks around and say something like (just as an example):
- 2-mei to 3-mei (sama) ni wakarete mo yoroshii desu ka (Is it ok you get seated in 2 & 3?)
- 2-mei to 3-mei (sama) demo yoroshikereba, sugu go-annai deki masu (if getting seated in 2 & 3 is OK, i can get you seated right away.)

I added gsamah because restaurant staff might add this to be respectful to patrons.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: How to say this when in a restaurant? 2023/2/22 21:46
Thank you very much! I was racking my head and searching everywhere for this, so yes, this is very helpful! :D
by chower rate this post as useful

Re: How to say this when in a restaurant? 2023/2/22 23:48
Btw, donft refer to yourself as mei or sama but nin.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: How to say this when in a restaurant? 2023/2/23 08:04
Oh? I've been using "mei" without people giving me weird looks cuz I read somewhere that it's a polite counter for people? Or maybe they are just being polite to me huh?

Whereas "sama" I understand is just an honorific suffix like "san"

Re: How to say this when in a restaurant? 2023/2/23 08:55
As far as I know (as a Japanese), g-ninh and g-meih are fine for referring to yourselves.

It it just that g-meih sounds more formal that it is likely people walking into a restaurant would say g-ninh (more conversational), in response to which the restaurant staff would use g-mei (sama).h
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: How to say this when in a restaurant? 2023/2/23 09:26
Got it, thanks!

Re: How to say this when in a restaurant? 2023/2/24 01:10
A simple "bara-bara de OK desu" will do.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: How to say this when in a restaurant? 2023/2/24 11:23
Ooh I'll try that too! Thanks!

Re: How to say this when in a restaurant? 2023/3/6 18:27
When I was learning Japanese in Tokyo 15 years ago, I remember one of my teachers telling me that you're technically not really supposed to use "mei" about yourself. But it had already at that point become quite common to use self-referentially.
by kurisu81 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread