Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary Question 2023/3/6 08:44
We will be in Japan April 8-16, it is our first trip to Japan. Our plan is 3 days in Tokyo, 3 days in Kyoto and we would like to experience a small town for two days in between the two. More specifically, we are searching for small town, beautiful nature, ryokan and onsen experience, and possibly hiking. We are considering a night in Karuizawa and a night in Kaga Onsen, or a night in Kanazawa and a night in Kaga Onsen or the Izu Peninsula. I very much would like to see Takayama and Shirakawago but seems the travel days would be too long for a short time. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
by marcela white (guest)  

Re: Itinerary Question 2023/3/6 18:43
Karuizawa is more like a Resort town. It is nice, but not a typical Japanese village.
And Kanazawa is a city. It has very nice parts though. But definitely not a village / small town.

I canft speak to Kaga onsen.

Your idea with Izu peninsula sounds good. Shuzenji is a nice small onsen town in the mountains:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6311.html
And wefll connected by a train.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Question 2023/3/6 19:00
I've visited around Kaga Onsen and the Izu Peninsula.

Izu has 3 towns which I think are appropriate to stay at. They are

(1) Shuzenji - but note that food options at night in English are very limited so it's best to get an in hotel meal.

(2) Ito - has good transport links and is big enough to have restaurants and some attractions nearby. I tend to stay at K's House which is a cheap ryokan/backpackers in an old building which is quite charming. I've got nice memories of watching the carp swim up and down the river from my room.

(3) Shuzenji - which is near probably the best hiking down south

Kaga onsen from memory is a series of small hot spring towns which are mainly reached via bus. It's very much a different feel to Izu, but the water quality is better for onsens if thats important to you.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Question 2023/3/6 19:40
If you go north of Tokyo into Tohoku or even Hokkaido. You'll find many small towns. And you'll still have a chance of finding cherry blossoms.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Question 2023/3/8 13:27
Thank you for your input. Very helpful and appreciated
by Marcy White (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread