Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

10 days in April for Sakura, suggestions 2023/3/10 00:22
Hello,
this April (1st -> 10th) i'll visit Japan for the 5th time, this time to see the cherry trees. In the past i've been in different seasons and this is my first time during Hanami, in my previous trips i've visited:

- 2016 August: Tokyo/Kyoto/Kamakura/Nara
- 2017 May: Tokyo/Sendai/Yamadera/Nikko
- 2018 November: Tokyo/Hakone/Kawaguchiko
- 2020 January: Tokyo/Osaka/Himeji/Hiroshima/Miyajima/Onomichi/Tomonoura

This time i'm planning to visit Tokyo and Kyoto (i'm traveling with a person who has never seen Japan) but I would like to add an extra city to visit.
I'm thinking of Takayama/Kanazawa, but i don't know if the period is good to see Sakura. Are there better place to see cherry trees blooming if we're late in Tokyo/Kyoto ? I would like to see something new or off the beaten path :)
by ncaf08  

Re: 10 days in April for Sakura, suggestions 2023/3/10 10:18
Your timing to see the cherry blossoms looks pretty good. Of course all there are at this point are the forecasts, though it is almost underway. You can look at the current predictions at
https://www.japan-guide.com/sakura/

Takayama is more in the mountains, so that will likely have later blooming. If you are going to see all of them, a good order would be Kyoto, Kanazawa, then Takayama. I can't really say they are off the beaten path. Takayama (at least pre-pandemic) got just a flood of daytripping visitors. Kanazawa had some before, but the addition of the bullet train has really increased the numbers of people going there too. They do fir your profile though of places to go if you are a bit late for the blossoms in Kyoto. If you are going into the region, seeing Shirakawago is well worth it too - not for the cherry blossoms, but it is a really nice place.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread