Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is it possible to enter Ghibli on the day? 2023/3/10 11:40
I just spent ages online trying to get online tickets for Ghibli Museum (the museum not the park) .. https://www.ghibli-museum.jp/en/tickets/
tickets for April 2023 came on sale at 10.00am Japan time this morning (10th March) - that's 11.00am Brisbane time.

I stayed home and had the website open and started trying straight away.

The website was swamped. I got through to the stage of putting in my name once after 20 minutes but then it crashed completely and all I got was an error message for another 40 minutes.

Then I seemed to be able to make bookings but although the site said that there were vacancies on the days and times I wanted, by the time I put in my details I was told the tickets were sold out... sigh...

So I spent 94 minutes going back and forth on the site and ended up with nothing. We are in Tokyo for 6 days in April and I could not get a booking at any time of any of the days. Very sad... my grand-daughter really wanted to go...

Does anyone know if there is any other way to make bookings or if you can possibly get in if you just go there??
by yeshekathy  

Re: Is it possible to enter Ghibli on the day? 2023/3/10 13:31
I get your frustration. However There is no ticket sale at the museum. The only thing you could try is at a Lawson vending machine when you are in Japan (highly unlikely that there will be tickets. I am also mit sure if the online tickets and vending machine tickets come out of the same pool or not) but you can try.
For reserving through your hotel itfs now likely too late as well, but you could at least ask them.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Is it possible to enter Ghibli on the day? 2023/3/10 13:50
@Yeshekathy,

I would definitely contact your hotel. I don't want to give false hope, but going by discussion on Reddit, last time (March tickets) the tickets available to foreigners sold out very quickly, but tickets remained on the Japanese site for residents of Japan much longer.

some hotels, are willing with a credit card authorization to buy tickets in advance, other hotels will make you wait until you get to Japan.

I am not sure if this will make you feel better or not, but my Ghibli loving daughter did not enjoy the museum. It's very small and can be very very loud and crowded. There are limited exhibits and sometimes the exclusive film is quite cute (I got a Catbus one on my first trip) or only appealing to those into poop jokes (Boro the Caterpillar, which my then 7 year old just found too much even.)
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Is it possible to enter Ghibli on the day? 2023/3/11 03:09
Two other possibilities for you: try contacting a local travel agent to see if they can get tickets for you. I purchased mine from Canada in 2018 through JTB (authorized agents used to be listed on the museum website). Another option is to see if you can find a tour company offering a trip to Ghibli Museum - that was my backup plan if the JTB tickets didn't work out.
by Sue (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it possible to enter Ghibli on the day? 2023/3/11 21:51
very kind responses - thank you.
We are not staying in a hotel but have rented a little house in Oshiage for a week. I asked the hostess at the house we are staying in, but she said she couldn't get any for us anyway. Looks like that's just not going to happen. I've booked Teamlab Planets and maybe we'll go to DisneySea.
by yeshekathy rate this post as useful

Re: Is it possible to enter Ghibli on the day? 2023/4/3 15:49
You can get guaranteed tickets on this tour at https://willerexpress.com/en/theme-park/ghibli-museum/ but by now, chances are slim for April admissions.
by Ms Carefree Traveler (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread